OW-BIB Vibration Sensor Support?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OW-BIB Vibration Sensor Support?

I would like to use the OW-VIB vibration monitor from Embedded Data Systems connected to their OWSERVER. Currently it is not recognized by your wonderful plug-in. Could this be added? I would like to use it to monitor the cloths dryer and be able to send an alert when the dryer completes it's cycle. I can also see some other uses such as monitoring the water pressure pump so that I shut it down if it runs longer than expected. It seems like the vibration sensor is an easy way to interface to these types of devices and your 1-wire plugin has been extremely reliable over the years. BTW I am using Ultra1Wire3.

Also sent PM

BTW, I have a Type in the title. the model number from Embedded Data Systems is OW-VIB.
    Last edited by Searider; March 3, 2018, 12:33 PM.

Might also be useful as a 'knock' sensor on the front door. Let us know if you get it working.
    HS4 Pro on Shuttle NC10U, Win10; Z-NET
    Number of Devices: 1005
    Number of Events: 293

Plug-Ins: BLLock, DirecTv, EasyTrigger, Honeywell WiFi Thermostat, Marquis monoprice Amp, MeiHarmonyHub, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, UltraM1G3, rnbWeather, Worx Landroid, Z-Wave

External applications: Homebridge-homeseer, Geofency, EgiGeoZone.

Comment

A few years ago I picked up a bag of surplus auto alarm sensors. Very sensitive to something like a door knock. I interfaced it with RF using DS10A window-door sensor. If I was interfacing today and did not need battery operation then I would use Sonoff WiFi. Sorry I do not have a link to the auto alarm sensor, but should still be very available.

Comment

Using it as a "knock" sensor is a great idea.

I have the vibration sensor installed on my water pump right now with a peice of velcro and can inspect it via the OWSERVER interface. It is VERY sensitive and with a good dynamic range. I have no doubt it can detect a door knock. I probably can detect the foot steps of someone walking to the door. It has no problem in detecting if the water pump is on or off.

Comment

Hi,

Can you send me the device XML output showing the vibration sensor? Please send to ultrajones@hotmail.com.

Regards,
          Ultrajones
          Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

XML File for Vibration sensor

I have (I hope) attached the XML file. It includes three sensors currently installed including the vibration sensor.
            The Peak Vibration is the most important to me as it is a slightly smoothed version of the instantaneous vibration value and as such is less sensitive to polling frequency.

Thanks
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Searider View Post
              I have (I hope) attached the XML file. It includes three sensors currently installed including the vibration sensor.
              The Peak Vibration is the most important to me as it is a slightly smoothed version of the instantaneous vibration value and as such is less sensitive to polling frequency.

Thanks
              Does the Peak Vibration value reset? Does the counter come into play? How can I tell when vibration is detected?
              Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

Originally posted by Ultrajones View Post
                Does the Peak Vibration value reset? Does the counter come into play? How can I tell when vibration is detected?
                The Max vibration does not seem to reset but the Peak Vibration seems to be the peak vibration from the last second so something similar. Ideally, you would just present both the instant and Peak vibration values.

or if you need to choose, then the peak. I think it will be important to present the value and not just a binary, this way we can eliminate background vibration by comparing to a value. for instance , water pump = on when Peak Vibration is greater than 10.

for the pump the at rest vibration is between 1 and 3 and the runing vibration is 15-20 with about 100 at start and stop.
                Last edited by Searider; January 28, 2018, 04:36 PM.

Comment

here is what the manual says

Vibration
                  The vibration sensor outputs a value of 0 to 1023, representing a relative level. It tracks 4 values, level, peak, minimum
                  and maximum.
                  The 'Vibration level' is the instant reading of the sensor.
                  The 'Vibration peak' stores the largest reading and holds it for a few seconds so it can be viewed, then it decays to zero.
                  The 'Vibration minimum' and 'Vibration maximum' display the min and max values. The clear alarms command resets
                  these values.

Comment

"Does the counter come into play"

just realized that I did not answer this part of your question. I have seen no use for the counter other than possibly to detect if it is working or not.

Comment

My OW-VIB vibration monitor from Embedded Data Systems just arrived. I'll be adding support for it soon. It should work well detecting when a dryer stops, but may be a challenge detecting a footstep, but I'll know soon.

Regards,
                      Ultrajones

Comment

My testing confirms the VibrationPeak value is what' I'll want to use to detect vibration (e.g. dryer, washer, footsteps, etc.)

Regards,
                        Ultrajones

Comment

Originally posted by Ultrajones View Post
                          but may be a challenge detecting a footstep, but I'll know soon.

Regards,
                          Ultrajones
                          I realized when I thought it would detect footsteps that not everyone lives on a pier and beam foundation like I do. I doubt it will detect footsteps on slab foundations or very firm foundations. Even in my house, it might be too low to consistently separate from the background.

Thanks for looking into this so quickly. I am looking forward to being able to monitor the sensor within Homeseer.

Comment

Vibration Sensor working !

Just updated to the new plugin version 3.0.6627.037544 and the Vibration Sensor is working.

Thank you very much !

I have it installed on my pressure pump for the house. Will now add one for the Dryer and washing machine.

Comment

Vibration Sensor on Water Pump

This is working perfectly.

Anything over 7 the pump is on. Below 10 is just background vibration. The separate spikes are when the pump runs for the minimum length of time (washing hands in a sink). The long duration run between 10am and 11:30am was when I was transferring water between two storage tanks.

Another sensor is on order for the Washing machine.

Attached Files
                              Last edited by Searider; February 26, 2018, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X