Can't Install Sonos on HomeTroller V1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dcorsus View Post
    Just sent email to Rich/Rick, see if they can provide some background color on this issue.
    Dirk
    Thanks Dirk...

Mark

Comment

Just sent email to Rich/Rick, see if they can provide some background color on this issue.
      Dirk
      I had a response today from Rich:

Normally, HomeSeer will log more information when it cannot access a plugin, if you can, please send me the entire startup log. What is probably happening is that its getting an error while accessing one of your plugin methods. What you can try is to add a TRY/CATCH to all your public methods and display a message box on error (or write to your own file, as access to the HS log is probably not available). The HomeTroller V1 does have .NET 2, but it does not have .NET 3.

I looked again through the start-up sequence of the plug-in and the one I expect is causing the issue is the following call:

Try
      MyDeviceFinder = CreateObject("UPnP.UPnPDeviceFinder")
      Catch ex As Exception
      hs.WriteLog(IFACE_NAME, "Error, unable to create MyDeviceFinder with error: " & ex.Message)
      End Try

My suspicion is that the method is not registered. Can you start a Dos window and start "regedit" on this XPe, meaning can you search the registry? If so, search for "UPnPDeviceFinder", if you cannot find it, it means that the UPNP.DLL was never registered. This DLL should be in the %SystemRoot%\system32\upnp.dll directory. If you can find it there, try the regsvr32 tool again to register that (if succesffull do HSProtect). I believe this gets registered when you turn SDSS on but we can't figure out how to do that on XPe now can we? You can display/start/stop services, right? How about you turn on manually everything associated with UPNP and do an HSProtect (I believe else you lose any changes made for example to the registry), see if the UPNPDeviceFinder entry now shows up in the registry. Once the UPNP.DLL is properly registered in the registry file, see if the plug-in now registers properly with HomeSeer.

Dirk
      On a side note, is there anybody out there reading this thread that has the plug-in running on a Hometroller, perhaps a V2. If so, maybe you can help by displaying on your set-up some of the things that were suggested here, like registry entries, service running etc.

Comment

I had a response today from Rich:

Normally, HomeSeer will log more information when it cannot access a plugin, if you can, please send me the entire startup log. What is probably happening is that its getting an error while accessing one of your plugin methods. What you can try is to add a TRY/CATCH to all your public methods and display a message box on error (or write to your own file, as access to the HS log is probably not available). The HomeTroller V1 does have .NET 2, but it does not have .NET 3.

I looked again through the start-up sequence of the plug-in and the one I expect is causing the issue is the following call:

Try
        MyDeviceFinder = CreateObject("UPnP.UPnPDeviceFinder")
        Catch ex As Exception
        hs.WriteLog(IFACE_NAME, "Error, unable to create MyDeviceFinder with error: " & ex.Message)
        End Try

My suspicion is that the method is not registered. Can you start a Dos window and start "regedit" on this XPe, meaning can you search the registry? If so, search for "UPnPDeviceFinder", if you cannot find it, it means that the UPNP.DLL was never registered. This DLL should be in the %SystemRoot%\system32\upnp.dll directory. If you can find it there, try the regsvr32 tool again to register that (if succesffull do HSProtect). I believe this gets registered when you turn SDSS on but we can't figure out how to do that on XPe now can we? You can display/start/stop services, right? How about you turn on manually everything associated with UPNP and do an HSProtect (I believe else you lose any changes made for example to the registry), see if the UPNPDeviceFinder entry now shows up in the registry. Once the UPNP.DLL is properly registered in the registry file, see if the plug-in now registers properly with HomeSeer.

Dirk
        On a side note, is there anybody out there reading this thread that has the plug-in running on a Hometroller, perhaps a V2. If so, maybe you can help by displaying on your set-up some of the things that were suggested here, like registry entries, service running etc.
        I can't find either one of .dlls....UpnpDevicefinder or Upnp.dll

I think it comes with SP3...I'm running SP2....wonder if I upgrade to SP3?

I'm thinking that the xpe image is going to have to be rebuilt with Upnp support added....

Mark
        Last edited by MStan; November 14, 2011, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MStan View Post
          I think it comes with SP3...I'm running SP2....wonder if I upgrade to SP3?

I'm thinking that the xpe image is going to have to be rebuilt with Upnp support added....

Mark
          Can you email HS support and ask them whether the restore-stick they sell has SP3 on it and/or the UPNP.DLL. In fact I read somewhere that HT V1 and V2 weren't that different and I wonder whether the restore stick for a V2 would do. We do know from another user that it runs on a V2 HomeTroller.

Secondly, you may want to Google to do it manually. I still have a PC somewhere in the house (need to go find it and see if it still works) which has XP on it so I can get the DLL of that unless you have an XP machine yourself. I found this interesting links:

http://xpdll.nirsoft.net/upnp_dll.html
          http://dll.paretologic.com/detail.php/upnp

Dirk

Comment

Can you email HS support and ask them whether the restore-stick they sell has SP3 on it and/or the UPNP.DLL. In fact I read somewhere that HT V1 and V2 weren't that different and I wonder whether the restore stick for a V2 would do. We do know from another user that it runs on a V2 HomeTroller.

Secondly, you may want to Google to do it manually. I still have a PC somewhere in the house (need to go find it and see if it still works) which has XP on it so I can get the DLL of that unless you have an XP machine yourself. I found this interesting links:

http://xpdll.nirsoft.net/upnp_dll.html
            http://dll.paretologic.com/detail.php/upnp

Dirk
            The new flash has sp3...not sure if it has Upnp tho...

Mark

Comment

The new flash has sp3...not sure if it has Upnp tho...

Mark
              This is what I just received from the HS folks:

He can purchase the latest restore drive from our online store.

-Rich

So my advice is to first try to copy the DLL from an XP machine and either use regsvr32 or go to the services screen and manually activate UPNP (you may need to copy the upnphost.dll as well). It will save you $50 assuming this is the problem and not something else with the HTv1.

Let me know if you want me to search for the DLL or if you have another XP machine to copy it from.

Dirk

ps you may need these files here as well

In Windows XP, Universal Plug and Play functionality is provided by the following files and services:

UPnP
              • Upnpcont.exe
              • Upnphost.dll - for hosting UPnP devices
              • Upnp.dll - the main UPnP dynamic-link library (DLL)
              • Upnpui.dll - used by Windows XP to create the interface

SSDP
              • Ssdpaip.dll - the Application Programming Interface (API) DLL for SSDP
              • Ssdpsrv.dll - used for SSDP messages as host

Services: The SSDP Discovery service permits discovery of UPnP devices on your home network.
              Universal Plug and Play Device Host: Provides support to host Universal Plug and Play devices.

Comment

This is what I just received from the HS folks:

He can purchase the latest restore drive from our online store.
                -Rich

So my advice is to first try to copy the DLL from an XP machine and either use regsvr32 or go to the services screen and manually activate UPNP (you may need to copy the upnphost.dll as well). It will save you $50 assuming this is the problem and not something else with the HTv1.

Let me know if you want me to search for the DLL or if you have another XP machine to copy it from.

Dirk

ps you may need these files here as well

In Windows XP, Universal Plug and Play functionality is provided by the following files and services:

UPnP
                • Upnpcont.exe
                • Upnphost.dll - for hosting UPnP devices
                • Upnp.dll - the main UPnP dynamic-link library (DLL)
                • Upnpui.dll - used by Windows XP to create the interface
                SSDP
                • Ssdpaip.dll - the Application Programming Interface (API) DLL for SSDP
                • Ssdpsrv.dll - used for SSDP messages as host
                Services: The SSDP Discovery service permits discovery of UPnP devices on your home network.
                Universal Plug and Play Device Host: Provides support to host Universal Plug and Play devices.

Thats what I figured...I'll get the latest upgrade and install...

I think u have to do a complete restore...I'm a little worried.

I'll keep u posted.

Thanks for all your help Dirk

Mark

Comment

Thats what I figured...I'll get the latest upgrade and install...

I think u have to do a complete restore...I'm a little worried.

I'll keep u posted.

Thanks for all your help Dirk

Mark
                  How about trying to copy the DLLs first, nothing to lose ... As long as the files are not there, you are not going to corrupt anything even if you register them in the registry, if it doesn't work, delete them and buy a stick. I'm still a bit concerned that you buy a stick and it still doesn't work because some setting is wrong.

Dirk

Comment

Here are the files of my XP PC.
                    Dirk
                    Attached Files

Comment

Here are the files of my XP PC.
                      Dirk
                      Ok, Cool thanks I'll give it a try...I ordered the stick...for the HOIt

Mark

Comment

Working...
                      X