Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sonos PI and TTS / Speaker Clients

Hi there,

If I am being really dumb please forgive me, but I am really struggling!

I've used HS2 for years and about a year ago bought quite a lot of Sonos speakers (Play 1 and Play 5's). So this week I decided that my old PC needed some investment so I upgraded the PC and OS and also got round to installing the HS3 I had bought when it was on sale way back.

So I have my devices all back up and running and decided to try and integrate the Sonos systems I have into HS3......

I installed the PI and everything looks good. I have discovered all of the speakers and can control audio playback etc really happily, but desperately want to be able to get the Sonos speakers to playback TTS speech from HS3.

I have tried trawling through the forums and have also read the help guide etc but just can't get my head round it. I hate having to ask and have spent hours trying to find the answer as it must have been dealt with before. In the guide it says that I need to append $SONOS$ to the speaker client hostname. How on earth do I do that? I just can't figure it !

If anyone could tell me I would be REALLY grateful. I'm hoping that if I can get past that hurdle, the rest should be ok (I hope LOL).

Many thanks for your time and help,

Jay

On the Sonos plug-in config page you need to first set up one or more link groups and include the players that you want to participate in each group.

You could name a link group TTS1 for example.

In your speech event you need to specify the link group name (see screenshot) in a specific format.

Click the edit speaker client list button and then you will need to type $SONOS$YOURLINKGROUPNAME$ and click the add button.

There is no need to add the ;* at the end of the name, it will be added automatically.

Paul..
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Paul,

Thankyou EVER so much for helping me out - Works Perfectly !!!

Cheers,

Jay

Comment

Happy I could help. I remember going through similar bouts of head scratching when I first started with the plug-in.

I'm a fairly long time use of the plug-in both on HS2 and HS3 and Iv'e been very happy with it. Dirk's level of support is second to none

Paul..

Comment

This looked intriguing, so I tried it. I have a single Sonos speaker in the link group (it's actually two Play 1's in a stereo config). When I trigger the event, the speakers go silent for a few seconds and then the following is logged. Any thoughts?

ERROR in PlayURI for zoneplayer = Office with UPNP Error = Read only tag / Transport is locked / Access denied. URI=x-rincon:RINCON_000E5810BF8401400_MS and isObjectID = False, MetaData=http://192.168.1.247:80/images/Sonos/Announcement.jpgHomeSeer Announcementobject.item.audioItem.musicTrackDirk CorsusSonosControllerDirk Corsus, Error =MyUPnPService.InvokeAction for ServiceID = http://192.168.1.11:1400/xml/AVTransport1.xml while sending Action = SetAVTransportURI for URI = http://192.168.1.11:1400/MediaRender...nsport/Control and Request = 0 x-rincon:RINCON_000E5810BF8401400_MS <DIDL-Lite xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" xmlns:upnp="urn:schemas-upnp-org:metadata-1-0/upnp/" xmlns:r="urn:schemas-rinconnetworks-com:metadata-1-0/" xmlns="urn:schemas-upnp-org:metadata-1-0/DIDL-Lite/"><item id="-1" parentID="-1" restricted="true"><upnp:albumArtURI>http://192.168.1.247:80/images/Sonos/Announcement.jpg</upnp:albumArtURI><dc:title>HomeSeer Announcement</dc:title><upnp:class>object.item.audioItem.musicTrack</upnp:class><dc:creator>Dirk Corsus</dc:creator><upnp:album>SonosController</upnp:album><r:albumArtist>Dirk Corsus</r:albumArtist></item></DIDL-Lite> UPNP Error = faultcode = s:Client, faultstring = UPnPError, detail = 501 with error = The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error.

Thanks for any help!

Comment

Originally posted by pete@malibubeach.com View Post
            This looked intriguing, so I tried it. I have a single Sonos speaker in the link group (it's actually two Play 1's in a stereo config). When I trigger the event, the speakers go silent for a few seconds and then the following is logged. Any thoughts?

ERROR in PlayURI for zoneplayer = Office with UPNP Error = Read only tag / Transport is locked / Access denied. URI=x-rincon:RINCON_000E5810BF8401400_MS and isObjectID = False, MetaData=http://192.168.1.247:80/images/Sonos/Announcement.jpgHomeSeer Announcementobject.item.audioItem.musicTrackDirk CorsusSonosControllerDirk Corsus, Error =MyUPnPService.InvokeAction for ServiceID = http://192.168.1.11:1400/xml/AVTransport1.xml while sending Action = SetAVTransportURI for URI = http://192.168.1.11:1400/MediaRender...nsport/Control and Request = 0 x-rincon:RINCON_000E5810BF8401400_MS <DIDL-Lite xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" xmlns:upnp="urn:schemas-upnp-org:metadata-1-0/upnp/" xmlns:r="urn:schemas-rinconnetworks-com:metadata-1-0/" xmlns="urn:schemas-upnp-org:metadata-1-0/DIDL-Lite/"><item id="-1" parentID="-1" restricted="true"><upnp:albumArtURI>http://192.168.1.247:80/images/Sonos/Announcement.jpg</upnp:albumArtURI><dc:title>HomeSeer Announcement</dc:title><upnp:class>object.item.audioItem.musicTrack</upnp:class><dc:creator>Dirk Corsus</dc:creator><upnp:album>SonosController</upnp:album><r:albumArtist>Dirk Corsus</r:albumArtist></item></DIDL-Lite> UPNP Error = faultcode = s:Client, faultstring = UPnPError, detail = 501 with error = The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error.

Thanks for any help!
            Which version of the PI are you running?

Try to change the linkgroup and pick the other S1 as the source for the announcement and either select both or same S1 as destination player.

Sonos does a lot of funky stuff behind the scenes when you pair or group players and as a result, it is only the MASTER of the pair or linkgroup which accepts play commands. I thought I had caught all the corner cases in the PI to route the commands to the right master but I might have missed some.

So if you pick the other S1 player, that might be the master and all might work. If it doesn't than we have some other issue and will require some debug tracing.

Dirk

Comment

Hi Dirk,
              I screwed up --- I assumed that since Homeseer was the audio source, I left that box blank -- that is the cause of the error. It does not seem to matter which of the two paired devices I select either as the source or the destination.

It appears to play the TTS speech at the source Sonos at its current volume and each of the destination sonos's at the specified volume and then leaves the sonos device paused on the announcement.

What do I need to do to get it to interrupt what is playing (if anything) and then resume it when the announcement is complete?

Comment

Hi Dirk,
                I screwed up --- I assumed that since Homeseer was the audio source, I left that box blank -- that is the cause of the error. It does not seem to matter which of the two paired devices I select either as the source or the destination.

It appears to play the TTS speech at the source Sonos at its current volume and each of the destination sonos's at the specified volume and then leaves the sonos device paused on the announcement.

What do I need to do to get it to interrupt what is playing (if anything) and then resume it when the announcement is complete?
                Maybe post a screenshot of the event, I'm confused. Are you using a speak event? Please consult the help file (tools>help>Sonos) to see how exactly to set up a TTS event.

Let me know if you figured it out or not.

Dirk

Comment

Originally posted by dcorsus View Post
                  Maybe post a screenshot of the event, I'm confused. Are you using a speak event? Please consult the help file (tools>help>Sonos) to see how exactly to set up a TTS event.

Let me know if you figured it out or not.

Dirk
                  Setting up a TTS event is easy enough. I got that working. But when it triggers, anything that was playing on any of the destination Sonos units is stopped (and stays stopped). Do I need to write a script to capture the state of each device and then restore it to resume playing what it was playing prior to the event? If so, does anyone have an example?

Pete

Comment

Setting up a TTS event is easy enough. I got that working. But when it triggers, anything that was playing on any of the destination Sonos units is stopped (and stays stopped). Do I need to write a script to capture the state of each device and then restore it to resume playing what it was playing prior to the event? If so, does anyone have an example?

Pete
                    It shouldn't stop nor remain stopped, so can you post a screen shot of your event, with full details.

Which PI version are you on?

Dirk

Comment

I've done a few things and now everything seems okay: I restarted the plug-in (actually, it crashed and restarted itself). Now the music restarts after an announcement. Also, I could never get any of the row of buttons: genres, artists, albums, etc.) to do anything. I deleted the database and recreated it from the master device and things seem much better. Still some things don't behave as I would expect, but hopefully one more read of your user guide will clarify for me.

Also, I assume you know the plug-in device control screen does not render properly on IE11 (see attached).

I may post an update with some comments/bugs after I play with it a little more. But it seems to work pretty well. Thanks for a good plug-in. (BTW this is all on plug-in version 3.1.0.2 --- and I see there is now a 3.1.0.3 that I will install and try)

Pete
                      Attached Files

Comment

Also, I assume you know the plug-in device control screen does not render properly on IE11 (see attached).
                        hmm, this is a new one. I'm having trouble with firefox and the listboxes (navigation + queue) at the bottom, but tried yesterday w/ IE (latest I think) and Chrome and they looked good.

Have you changed the ccs layout on your computer for HS, or perhaps set the screen to be variable size versus fixed size (read about it on the forum here that it is now a configurable parameter)?

Dirk

Comment

Can someone create a sonos for dummies with pictiures ii to have spent hours trying to figure this out but this forums search engine lack this ability to find simple search items like $Sonos$ or TTS

Comment

Originally posted by devoir View Post
                            Can someone create a sonos for dummies with pictiures ii to have spent hours trying to figure this out but this forums search engine lack this ability to find simple search items like $Sonos$ or TTS
                            Click

tools > help > Sonos Help

Goto chapter Announcements.

Plenty of step by step pictures

Dirk

Comment

dcorsus

Many thanks I Have been trying to follow the HELP file

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sonos enabled.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	1182355

I created a link Group $SONOS$TTS$:*

Name:	Sonos Link.jpg
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	1182356

I created the Manual event trigger..

Name:	Sonos Event.jpg
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	1182357

When manually triggered there is no sound except from the speakers in the laptop running HS3 v208.

The Log doesn't show any errors..

Name:	Sonos Log.jpg
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	1182358

I could use some guidance to understand what action or step i needs to take....

Many thanks for your support.....

Devoir

Comment

Working...
                              X