X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

plugin Behavior for 3-way switches

Mark,

I have 3-way switches that behave strangely. Switch 'A' has physical load control and 'B' is the slave. Both definitions have 'Sync linked responder devices' checked and identical settings.

If I ask the plugin to set device 'A' to DIM 40%:
    • the light comes On at 40% at the default ramp rate of 4 secs
    • the LED strip on switch 'A' shows 40%
    • the LED strip on switch 'B' shows 100%

If I ask the plugin to set device 'B' to DIM 40%:
    • the light comes On at 100% at an apparent ramp rate of .5 sec
    • the LED strip on switch 'A' shows 100%
    • the LED strip on switch 'B' shows 40%

So, different behavior depending on which switch is activated and LED strips are not synchronized.

On a detailed log, I see the plugin sending the first light '01 66', then '2E FF' to the linked responder device.

My objective: to get the LED strips synchronized at 40%. What do I need to do to achieve this?

it sounds like the responder link in device A isn't set correctly

please make sure the links between the two devices use the same on level and ramp rates in the links. if all else fails, delete the links between the two devices and recreate them using the 'create crosslink' option
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

I deleted the links between 'A' and 'B', then created a link between 'A' and 'B', specifying 'Cross link devices'. All the proper links were created.

Same behavior as before. Here are the definitions:
      Attached Files

Comment

claude,
        this is getting a little confusing...

i had this working (mostly), but made some changes to support syncing switches based on the link data from a kpl btn. for example, a ktn btn is linked to turn on a switch to 55%. the kpl btn goes on at 100% but the switch is supposed to follow the link data.

one problem is the hs UI doesn't really simulate the function of the physical switches. For example, I can't simulate fast-on with the UI which guarantees 100% regardless of any other settings.

here is what i'm trying to do now with the hs device controls:

1. On and Off buttons will act as a single press to the physical switch on/off so any linked devices will follow the link data. And the controller will also follow the default on value (as it does today)

2. slider will sync the responder to the same value as the controller; i don't think this is how physical switches work: for example if controller is set to 75% and the responder is set to 50%, and you dim the controller, the responder will dim relative to its starting position, not to the same level as the controller.
        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Mark,

I changed my event from using an HS command to using an Insteon command (see below) and everything works great now:
          • LED strips match
          • Light comes on at requested level regardless which of the two 3-ways I command

From a detailed log, I also see that the plugin manages the main device and its responder differently than with the previous approach I was using, acknowledging that ramping needs to use '2E': they both get '2E 6C'. In the previous approach, the plugin sent '2E FF' to the linked responder device.

Problem solved for me, but I'm just curious why the first approach sends 100% at .1 sec to the responder ?
          Attached Files
          Last edited by claude; March 22, 2018, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by claude View Post
            Mark,

I changed my event from using an HS command to using an Insteon command (see below) and everything works great now:
            • LED strips match
            • Light comes on at requested level regardless which of the two 3-ways I command

From a detailed log, I also see that the plugin manages the main device and its responder differently than with the previous approach I was using, acknowledging that ramping needs to use '2E': they both get '2E 6C'. In the previous approach, the plugin sent '2E FF' to the linked responder device.

Problem solved for me, but I'm just curious why the first approach sends 100% at .1 sec to the responder ?
            to answer your question: a bug.

i think you are building events to do what the plugin is supposed to do using the 'sync linked responders' option.

i'm working on another version that should fix all this...fingers crossed
            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

i posted 3.0.6.32. can you give it a try. i think it will keep the devices in sync as you wish without the events
              Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Using an HS command 'set device to DIM 40%', both of the 3-way switches now have their LED strips in sync. Thanks.

Comment

Using an HS command 'set device to DIM 40%', both of the 3-way switches now have their LED strips in sync. Thanks.
                  thanks for reporting back.

and this is with all your events disabled?

please try other sync scenarios if you have time.
                  Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

If I understand one of your previous posts on this, you're under the impression I'm sending the same command to both switches in a 3-way setup in order to synchronize the LED strips. That is not the case.

What I was trying to demonstrate was that, prior to v3.0.6.32, when sending a command to either (not both) of the 2 participants in a 3-way setup, the LED strips would not sync between the two devices. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

The bottom line is that you solved the issue. I see that you are now sending the same command to both the main device and its responder (if 'Sync linked responder devices' is checked).

I do have a new question about cross links, posted in a different thread.

Thanks again!

Comment

If I understand one of your previous posts on this, you're under the impression I'm sending the same command to both switches in a 3-way setup in order to synchronize the LED strips. That is not the case.

What I was trying to demonstrate was that, prior to v3.0.6.32, when sending a command to either (not both) of the 2 participants in a 3-way setup, the LED strips would not sync between the two devices. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

The bottom line is that you solved the issue. I see that you are now sending the same command to both the main device and its responder (if 'Sync linked responder devices' is checked).

I do have a new question about cross links, posted in a different thread.

Thanks again!
                      thanks for the clarification. makes sense.
                      Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Working...
                      X