Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Structure Media Enclosure... With or Without AC Outlet inside???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Structure Media Enclosure... With or Without AC Outlet inside???

I'm building a new house and will be running the low voltage wiring and installing structured wiring enclosures. The enclosures will be installed next to each other in a closet. The electrician has installed 2 outlets on the wall, under where the enclosures will go. My plan was to connect a powerstrip to each outlet and mount it vertically between the enclosures. I would then route any wall-warts or power cables through the bottom of the enclosure, out a hole cut in the wall directly below the enclosure, then over to the powerstrip.
    ( Here's a Drawing of the idea )

Well, I'm just wondering if it might be better to install outlets inside the enclosures. The only problem is that I may be limited by the number of wall-warts I can plug in to the outlet.

Any suggestions/ideas/tips/help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,
    -Gabriel

Maybe you should just do both. You can never have too many outlets in your wiring room.

Comment

Warez,

I have a couple duplex outlets installed in my wiring boxes and think it helps keep the installation looking neater.

Aside from the in-box AC, you may consider a larger power supply to handle much of your gear that requires wall-warts. If most of your gear runs on 9-12v DC, this can be accomplished without much cost and makes the install look a lot more professional than having all the wall-warts pluged into a power strip.

Here is a recend thread that talks about this subject: Shared power supply

Here is a photo of the wall in my wiring closet that shows the AC outlet in the top enclosure. The lower two enclosures are from Altronix and provide 12vDC, 24vDC, 24vAC to power my Ocelot and modules, Electronic door locks/strikes and a number of other things:

Click to visit: www.sbsmarthomes.com
      Santa Barbara Smarthomes

Authorized Russound Dealer & Installer

Personal HA Website

HomeSeer User Profile

Comment

Working...
      X