No announcement yet.

Need a Zwave switch to control 12v circuit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Person, thanks for the suggestion, but I tried that. Every socket and switch between my Controller and the CA3750 has a Z-Wave Repeater, I even installed more power sockets close to the CA3750 so I could add still more Repeaters. All devices around and including the CA3750 show up as acceptable to excellent with 20+ neighbors and it optimizes fine, but every now and then the CA3750 drops off the mesh, even after optimizing at different locations in the house first. Back in a July post, BrunDog and I were thinking that the CA3750 just has a low power transmitter, and/or poor antenna. At this stage I'm torn between adding a second Controller closer to the CA3750 that would then help with all the other devices that have 2nd hops in the vicinity ($$$), versus a switch set up that would control an Elk9200 connected to the 240VAC pool pump ($$)...
    All Z-Wave, #101 devices, HomeTroller Series2, HomeSeer2 v.2.5.0.81, & 1x Z-Troller

Comment

Yeah that sounds weird. It is probably too late to return the unit but that is what I would do - I have dozens of switches/sensors/plugin modules/thermostat in 2700 sq ft house and none of them has issues (except that garage door sensor that was fixed w/ optimization).

Before you splurge on 2nd solution, can you move CA close to your troller and test it out for a while? Maybe it is CA problem and vicinity, even to z-troller might not fix it.

Comment

Hi Person, you read my mind! Yes, last time I was at the house I removed the CA3750 and put back the old pool mechanical timeswitch in its place, then plugged the CA3750 in the same room as the Controller. Of course it has worked just fine since then, (I kept the same pool timer events running to control/monitor it)!
        My place is 1900sqft, so you have much more ground for your mesh to cover. I think what's squelching my CA3750 is that it was on the far outside wall of a garage and even with lots of neighbors it just couldn't deal with all the breezblock, pump, and 240VAC wires near it. Still in a quandry though...if I go to the expense of upgrading HS and getting 2 new ZTs and then the CA3750 does not behave well when I install it outside again, I shall probably go a little (more) crazy...
        All Z-Wave, #101 devices, HomeTroller Series2, HomeSeer2 v.2.5.0.81, & 1x Z-Troller

Comment

Do you folks who already use the ZFM-80 know if it is scene capable?
          Thanks.

Comment

I just tested it using HS and Cooper 5 button wall controller. I was able to add it to the scene and control using Cooper button. But if I remember correctly Cooper can control non-scene devices as well. I do see this in the manual:

Once the Fixture Switch Module is part of the network, the
            same basic procedure is used to add the Fixture Switch
            Module to groups or scenes. Refer to the primary controller's
            instructions for details.

Comment

Hi Person, thanks, that sounds promising that it mentions scenes. If you have a moment would you mind please letting me know if the ZFM-80 shows up as scene capable in WhoAmI in your system? I'm thinking of using it with a Leviton 2 button-controller and I know that this can only work with scene capable devices. Thanks again.

Comment

Hi Olbrit,

here is what I get from node info in HS. It doesn't mention scene unlike LFM20.

ZFM-80
                ======
                BASIC, SWITCH BINARY, SWITCH ALL, MANUFACTURER SPECIFIC, VERSION, CONFIGURATION V2, ASSOCIATION V2

LFM-20
                ======
                SWITCH BINARY, SCENE ACTIVATION, SCENE ACTUATOR CONF, SWITCH ALL, POWERLEVEL, CONFIGURATION V2, VERSION, MANUFACTURER SPECIFIC

Comment

Thanks Person, that helps a lot. I will change my design and now use LFM-20s with the Leviton 2-button scene controllers. The ZFM-80s I'll use when I don't have a scene requirement.
                  Interestingly, (at least to me), my old ZRF113 that's a predecessor of the LFM-20 is NOT scene capable.

Comment

I got the ZFM by accident instead of the LFM and wanted to use it for a remote gate opener switch. I currently have the LFM for my garage door.

Does the ZFM support this type of low voltage setup? I tried to wire it up but not sure that the diagram is correct for what I need. I looks to me like the ZFM is not meant for this type of setup but am I wrong???
                    HS4Pro Win10 | Fire Tablet touchscreen client, Android Phones and Tablets | Jon00 | Smartthings | Philips Hue | Trane | Caseta | Nanoleaf | Ring | August | Evolve | Aladdin | Amazon Alexa/IFTT

Comment

ZFM and LFM do the same thing - provide pair of contacts that have no power supplied (just like any relay). So yes you can use it for garage door opener.

Follow figure 2. Ignore light bulb/external power source comments in the picture, take L'/N' and wire in parallel to your existing switch. You can do that at the switch or on the garage door opener itself. Also ignore external switch - this is if you want to add another switch to control L'/N' on top of z-wave control.

http://www.zwaveproducts.com/layout/...s/ZFM-80US.pdf

Let me know if this helps

Comment

BTW, as a pilot project, I just replaced a battery door sensor with a ZFM-80 and a pair of contacts and it worked perfectly, including the instant status update. Thanks Person! I'll start replacing all of my other battery door/window sensors in my next visit.

Also the ZFM-80 did show up in the dropdown for my Leviton 2 button-controller, so it does appear to be scene capable, althought I did not test it.

Comment

Originally posted by Olbrit View Post
                          BTW, as a pilot project, I just replaced a battery door sensor with a ZFM-80 and a pair of contacts and it worked perfectly, including the instant status update. Thanks Person! I'll start replacing all of my other battery door/window sensors in my next visit.

Also the ZFM-80 did show up in the dropdown for my Leviton 2 button-controller, so it does appear to be scene capable, althought I did not test it.
                          Where did you mount this? Did you have an outlet next to the door?
                          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Hi Rupp, as this was a pilot project I did it quick and dirty to prove the concept and no I don't have an outlet by the door. What I did was mount a reed contact and magnet on the door and frame, and connect the reed contact via 20ft of lamp wire to the ZFM-80. I temporarily stapled the lamp wire to rafters above the garage. I connected an old PC power cord to the ZFM-80 and plugged that into a power outlet on the far wall.

On the next trip I will install a plastic 3 gang electrical box adjacent to the power socket and run a short 12/2 piece of cable between/behind them to provide power for what will be 3 ZFM-80's that will be mounted in the 3 gang electrical box. I'll then run 3 lengths of low profile alarm wire to reed contacts for the 3 doors in the garage - I'll arrange the wiring to be as aesthetic/hidden as possible. As I won't need to touch the 3 ZFM-80s, I'll then just put a blank faceplate on the 3 gang electrical box. Pretty nice solution, I think, instant status and no batteries!

I'll need to be more creative about hiding the wiring for the inside house door contacts.

Maybe you'll consider pinging Mark about HS starting to carry the ZFM-80's? I'll be wanting 6 or so in the next couple of months.

Comment

Originally posted by Olbrit View Post
                              Hi Rupp, as this was a pilot project I did it quick and dirty to...
                              Sounds good. Take a few pics to show the outcome when you are done. I "pinged" Mark so I'll let you know what I find out.
                              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Will do, thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X