• Show
Clear All

Personally like music (all kinds).

Sign this petition; it's good for you

Induct Jerry Lee Lewis into the Country Music Hall of Fame

[ATTACH]62977[/ATTACH]
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Agreed, while I have nothing to hide I don't much care for snooping eyes into my private life. Without real consumer protection enforcement and policy in the field of IOT, I don't see abuses in privacy by vendors going away.

To mitigate their aggressive act, you could setup a separate VLAN on your network for the SONOS devices to block Internet access to the devices altogether, the only problem with that is that some of their sales pitch is that they give you the streaming audio sources built into their app. Alternatively, you could augment the firewall rules associated with public Internet access for that vlan and either create a whitelist only list of public IP addresses that would only allow it to communicate with the specific streaming media sources. You could also force DNS requests to a local DNS server that only resolves streaming audio domains. All of this assumes that they don't force you to connect to the same public Internet presence for both snooping on your personal stats and streaming media.

Lack of respect for personal privacy is part of my leeriness in solutions that offer all in one baked in solutions that are too easy to get working. My worry is always how much is the conscience of the people developing this tech worth...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

There are several things at play here one being pure greed. Next, the failure of consumers to vote with their wallet to say no to *Rental* hardware hosted in the so called cloud.

Lastly, its the abuse of Government who feel compelled to run everything as a Nanny State!!

The days where men were men, a hand shake sealed a deal, and a mans word was his bond is gone.

Comment

+++

Did you sign the petition?
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Teken View Post
            On a related tangent the perversion of the so called cloud power is what has started the IoT stupid mentality. The fact people truly believe it's OK to rent something you own and have zero control over privacy & security is why the Internet is in shambles. Well besides the fact low life morons feel compelled to break the Internet! [emoji35]

Though I agree with what you say, your delivery makes it hard to care what you have to say.

Mainstream cloud computing has been in the making for the better part of a decade (if not longer), couple that with companies moving everything to the cloud (I work for a very large online auction site and I am in the middle of many projects moving from in house to cloud solutions), the train has started and though not impossible, it is highly improbable that we can stop that train.

iOT devices have taken this concept and have grown on it. This started way before iOT or cloud services though. Think of satellite TV late 90's to early 2000s. You initially just bought the hardware and owned it... then you have what you have now. You still pay for the equipment as if you bought it, but you don't own it, still in a year contract and have to give the equipment back. Talk about buying something you don't own.

We have been doing this for years, and I agree the concept is dumb, except companies wouldn't be doing it, if they weren't making money off of it. Voting with your wallet is probably the most powerful way to vote (hell look at real politics and how money is thrown around there), and the majority of people have voted.

You have a great POV about one voice making a difference and I hope it happens, but if I had to bet, I would bet that info sharing isn't going away and the idea of online privacy is and never was there. Google and Facebook wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for info sharing/selling except in a paid membership model. In fact, I would even go as far to say the internet itself would be on a much smaller scale if we were able to completely remove info gathering.

Another example would be Amazon Echo. Maybe 10 years ago, a device like that wouldn't sell at all and put people in an uproar. Now things have shifted and people not only don't care, they buy into it with ease.

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
              Though I agree with what you say, your delivery makes it hard to care what you have to say.

Mainstream cloud computing has been in the making for the better part of a decade (if not longer), couple that with companies moving everything to the cloud (I work for a very large online auction site and I am in the middle of many projects moving from in house to cloud solutions), the train has started and though not impossible, it is highly improbable that we can stop that train.

iOT devices have taken this concept and have grown on it. This started way before iOT or cloud services though. Think of satellite TV late 90's to early 2000s. You initially just bought the hardware and owned it... then you have what you have now. You still pay for the equipment as if you bought it, but you don't own it, still in a year contract and have to give the equipment back. Talk about buying something you don't own.

We have been doing this for years, and I agree the concept is dumb, except companies wouldn't be doing it, if they weren't making money off of it. Voting with your wallet is probably the most powerful way to vote (hell look at real politics and how money is thrown around there), and the majority of people have voted.

You have a great POV about one voice making a difference and I hope it happens, but if I had to bet, I would bet that info sharing isn't going away and the idea of online privacy is and never was there. Google and Facebook wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for info sharing/selling except in a paid membership model. In fact, I would even go as far to say the internet itself would be on a much smaller scale if we were able to completely remove info gathering.

Another example would be Amazon Echo. Maybe 10 years ago, a device like that wouldn't sell at all and put people in an uproar. Now things have shifted and people not only don't care, they buy into it with ease.

I'm at a point in my life and age where being PC matters very little to me. Speaking truth to power is what I am all about.

Having been involved in the technology world for more than 30 years I have great insight and experience.

If this thread speaking about Sonos perversion of the EULA agreement to its end users cause them to rethink and change their terms.

Job 1 . . . [emoji106]

Comment

Sonos is a over priced WiFi box that offers simple connectivity for the general public. To think people actually believe these box's are at par with true speaker manufacturers is quite laughable.
                Wait who said these weren't good quality speakers? I absolutely love my Sonos and while I'm not a audiophile and never will be, these speaker so what they do very well and sound very good. Now back on topic. If you do not want Sonos capturing your data then it's as simple as not purchasing there hardware and if you own it sell it to those of us that could care less.
                šŸ’ā€ā™‚ļø Support & Customer Service šŸ™‹ā€ā™‚ļø Sales Questions šŸ›’ Shop HomeSeer Productsā€‹

Comment

Wait who said these weren't good quality speakers?

99% of audiophiles of say this. Only the one's paid to be part of the Sonos television advertisements state how they have replaced their recording studio speakers for Sonos these days.

I have not purchased a Sonos here and continue to utilized my Russound Zoned amplifiers wired to the home in wall speakers. I do not utilize these for my total immersion to my 7.1 system (with 7.1 external and wired speakers). The music server here is still using the Logitech Media Server which originally was the Squeeze box server which today is still being maintained and open sourced just about anything.

I do keep some old audio stuff around (guess a bit of an antique collector here). Up until the 80's had a large radio console with a cat's eye on it which was an interesting sight.

I am not knocking Sonos as it integrates well with Homeseer. (its a nice plug n play media server with wired and wireless speakers)

Relating to EULA it's a simple agreement and relating to any cloud connected device.

It is what it is.

You accept it and use it or you do not use it.

You still today have a choice. More than likely in the future you will not have a choice.

It is mostly the baby boomers that still remember the choices and the current yut that honestly don't even know or care these days.
                  Last edited by Pete; August 26, 2017, 12:58 PM.
                  - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                    Wait who said these weren't good quality speakers?

99% of audiophiles of say this. Only the one's paid to be part of the Sonos television advertisements state how they have replaced their recording studio speakers for Sonos these days.

I have not purchased a Sonos here and continue to utilized my Russound Zoned amplifiers wired to the home in wall speakers. I do not utilize these for my total immersion to my 7.1 system (with 7.1 external and wired speakers). The music server here is still using the Logitech Media Server which originally was the Squeeze box server which today is still being maintained and open sourced just about anything.

I do keep some old audio stuff around (guess a bit of an antique collector here). Up until the 80's had a large radio console with a cat's eye on it which was an interesting sight.

I am not knocking Sonos as it integrates well with Homeseer. (its a nice plug n play media server with wired and wireless speakers)

Relating to EULA it's a simple agreement and relating to any cloud connected device.

It is what it is.

You accept it and use it or you do not use it.

You still today have a choice. More than likely in the future you will not have a choice.

It is mostly the baby boomers that still remember the choices and the current yut that honestly don't even know or care these days.

Pete is spot on in the above. Keeping in mind I'm not replying from a snobby audiophile point of view even though the gear I have in place could very well place me in said category.

Most people have no concept of what true sound fidelity is or sounds like.

Comment

We seem to have gone down two different roads in this thread. To be quite honest, the information that Sonos can gather on me is far less of a concern than what Google does. I am more concerned that a small and increasingly intrusive and powerful group of companies can control the flow of information. Between social media and search engines the information I am able to find and express can be redirected, silenced and manipulated based upon what they believe I should see or say.

With regard to Sonos as a product, it works very well. When the vast majority of sources people listen to are compressed streams of 128-256kbs data, knocking Sonos' speaker quality rings a little hollow. Sonos speakers are actually quite good for their size, though I went the route of Sonos CONNECT:AMPS with my own speakers. The beauty of Sonos is that it brings together a large number of streaming audio services, through a well-designed user interface, allowing it to be played (properly synced) across a large number of disparate devices. Day in, day out it just works, no issues, no hiccups with decent sound quality, especially considering it is all wireless.

While I have a couple of rooms with very good audio equipment, for the vast majority of the time, we put a Pandora, Amazon or Tidal stream throughout the house on Sonos. When we stream a FLAC ripped CD off of our own server the actual sound quality from the Sonos amp is on par with the original CD played through our high-end audio equipment - both using the same speakers.
                      Last edited by randy; August 26, 2017, 03:10 PM.
                      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Most people have no concept of what true sound fidelity is or sounds like.
                        Or care, apparently. The overwhelming preference for heavily compressed mp3 files on portable players (combined with ear buds) is a clear indication of where the mass market for audio resides.

On the other hand, recreating the sound of a live performance is extremely challenging, especially in a room designed for other purposes. For most of us, that task has been assigned to the imagination of the listener, rather than the quality of the sound system.
                        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
                          Or care, apparently. The overwhelming preference for heavily compressed mp3 files on portable players (combined with ear buds) is a clear indication of where the mass market for audio resides.

On the other hand, recreating the sound of a live performance is extremely challenging, especially in a room designed for other purposes. For most of us, that task has been assigned to the imagination of the listener, rather than the quality of the sound system.
                          Don't get me wrong my reply was from the perspective of true sound fidelity. There will always be conditions someone wants a cheap pair of headphones, BLE speaker, to Sonos.

I don't hate its about having options and choices.

Sonos, as the other member noted has brought to market a very solid product that offers all the bells and whistles the mass public wants. In the big picture having products that meet a users price point is important. Because not everyone is made of money or see the value in spending 10K for a set of speakers.

What I take issue is when people from both sides of the spectrum push off to the masses that their over priced product is at the same quality and sound fidelity of other known products.

As an aside this has also been seen in the high end Esoteric realm. Where *Stupid* really has a new meaning because these people truly have more money then common sense!

They believe a 5K piece of wire with some marketing fairy dust that says it will open the heavens if you unload said 5K for the experience! So the market has both extremes and most of us know this.

Back on topic: If there are more threads about Sono's EULA requirements perhaps this open discussion will shame them into changing course.

Comment

Working...
                          X