www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > Legacy Software & Plug-ins > Legacy Software (Older Versions) > HS2 / HSPRO

HS2 / HSPRO General discussion about HomeSeer HS2 and HSPRO

Old July 30th, 2005, 09:44 AM
Seer Master

Red face Locked out of HS/2

I've got a real embarrassing question. Some how I've managed to lock myself out of HS/2. I can only log on as Guest. I thought I read someplace where someone else did the same thing, but I can't find the thread.

Is there a file I need to delete to get in and re-config security profiles?

Thanks,

Todd
Old July 30th, 2005, 09:57 AM
OverSeer

Do a Windows SEARCH for a copy of users.cfg in your HS 2.0 directory. If you can't find a backed-up copy, HS recommends you delete it and reinstall your HS package.

Good luck!

~Bill
Old July 30th, 2005, 10:00 AM
Seer Master

Thanks Bill!!

Todd
Old July 30th, 2005, 10:13 AM
RonSmeets

Don´t reinstall. Just delete the users.cfg and restart.
Homeseer will create a new standard users.cfg.
Old July 31st, 2005, 06:52 AM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSmeets
Don´t reinstall. Just delete the users.cfg and restart.
Homeseer will create a new standard users.cfg.
Tried that and it still only lets me in as "Guest"

A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"
HomeSeer 3 V 3.0.0.318 with ALEXA (AKA Amazon Echo)
BL Radar V2.0.217; BLRF V2.0.85.0; HS Touch V3.0.0.1034 X10 V3.0.0.42; PHLocation V3.0.0.38; Zwave V3.0.1.110; X10 V3.0.0.42
BLBackup V2.0.39;ImperiHome3.0.0.20 All on Windows XP Pro
Old July 31st, 2005, 08:34 AM
Seer Master

For the heck of it, I copied the Users.cfg file from my HS 1.7 directory to my HS/2 directory and it worked!

-Todd
Old August 4th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Seer

Hey, just to put my 2 cents in....

I have a LAN set up in my house, and HomeSeer runs on my computer called "SERVER". I managed to change the rights on the only admin users (called "ADMIN") to "ADMIN" instead of "ADMIN + LOCAL". So, when I tried logging back into the web interface, I could only log in as a guest. I tried it from another computer on my LAN, same problem. Then, I tried it by accessing the computer from the outside, using http://www.mydomain.ca:port/ and it worked (mainly because I said auto-login on my subnet and localhost, ask for a password when outside). So, I authenticated with my Admin password that I had set, and away I go! I just simply reconfigured my admin account to the ADMIN + LOCAL, and it fixed it.

A suggestion for a future release: Either put in a "Log-in" button option (to go with the log out, probably switch the two around depending on if you're logged in), make the "log out" button ask for a username and password, or stop us mentally challanged users from changing the "ADMIN + LOCAL" account. I don't quite like the last idea, because that means anyone on our local network would have administrative rights, and we can't fix it.

Anywho, that's my 2 cents, plus inflation and interest, that's around 75 thousand dollars...
Old August 5th, 2005, 02:03 AM
Whuffo

Angry Got locked out too; misfeature!

Setting up a new machine with HS 2.0, was going over the config imported from my 1.7 install and changed one user account (my wife's) from admin to normal.

That immediately changed the local user to my wife's account and there was no way to get back in except for deleting the users.cfg file and setting the accounts up again.

I know I didn't change the local user setting; there's a gotcha in there and I suspect it'll bite many other unsuspecting users...
Old August 5th, 2005, 08:06 AM
Seer

Hey Whuffo,

Did you set your wife's account to Normal + Local, or just Normal? I'm thinking that a better idea for the next version: The Web Users page can contain a radio button for each user. Whichever user has the radio button active, they'll be used when logging in locally.
Old August 5th, 2005, 08:16 AM
OverSeer

There is definitely a bit of "lacking information" in this area and the program should, at a minimum, warn you if you are about to lock yourself out. I've read dozens of threads where users have locked themselves out.
Old August 5th, 2005, 08:24 AM
Seer

Yea, Rupp, I agree. I've locked myself out, too. When I changed my account to Admin instead of Admin + Local, I figured the system would prompt for a username and password if you accessed the system locally. Instead, I had to access my system from the internet to fix the problem. I think the system should either:

1. Warn you before you lock yourself out (as you said). If you do lock yourself out:
    a. Prompt for a username and password
    b. Auto-login as a guest, but provide a means of logging in as an administrator, perhaps by a log in button or the log out button.
2. Always log in using an admin account if you log in from the computer running HomeSeer (referring to it by localhost)

Hopefully, something will be put in place soon.
Old August 5th, 2005, 08:47 PM
Whuffo

Mystery lockouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonebytes
Hey Whuffo,

Did you set your wife's account to Normal + Local, or just Normal? I'm thinking that a better idea for the next version: The Web Users page can contain a radio button for each user. Whichever user has the radio button active, they'll be used when logging in locally.
I just set her to Normal. I don't recall any of the user accounts having a "+LOCAL" by them, so I'll speculate a little: when the 1.7 config was imported the accounts came across as they were in 1.7 - admin and guest. When I made a change in a user account and saved it, the system assigned the "LOCAL" attribute to the account I just edited.

Net result is that the LOCAL attribute was set for an account with NORMAL access so I couldn't get back to the setup screen to fix the problem. No access to the new machine from the internet at this time so I couldn't log in remotely. Fortunately, this forum pointed out the workaround so it wasn't a total disaster...
Old August 6th, 2005, 07:33 AM
Seer

Yea, good thing we've got this forum. It sounds like a bug if the system is assigning the " + Local" attribute to the users that you modify. I really don't like that idea... Something for the next version.
Old December 17th, 2005, 11:25 AM
OverSeer

Unhappy Oops I've locked myself out again

While tinkering with the web page set up I have managed to lock myself out again. I can only get in as guest, which is not a lot of use to me.

Anyone discover how to get back in without a full re-install?
Old December 17th, 2005, 11:29 AM
OverSeer

Gogs:

Shutdown HS
Delete the users.cfg file in the HS /config directory
Restart HS - That should give you a clean slate again.

Hope all is well over there!
Bill
Old December 17th, 2005, 11:39 AM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Brower
Gogs:

Shutdown HS
Delete the users.cfg file in the HS /config directory
Restart HS - That should give you a clean slate again.

Hope all is well over there!
Bill
Well that created a new user.cfg with one default and one guest user, problem now is what is the login for the default user?
Old December 17th, 2005, 11:41 AM
OverSeer

Erm, forget above post it's username default and password default.

Thanks Bill.