www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > General Home Automation > General Home Automation Hardware Discussion > Touchscreen Hardware

Touchscreen Hardware Discussions related to touch screen computers and touch screen interfaces. This includes discussing new ways to control your home using the built-in ASP capabilities of HomeSeer.

Old February 21st, 2017, 09:43 AM
Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lj502 View Post
I've been playing with one of these and got it rooted and installed HSTouch and other goodies. It runs HSTouch nicely and the wink app stays in the background, I don't have a wink hub nor do I want one so the switches don't work remotely, local control is there.
I have an idea I'm gonna try, how about doing away with the built in switches (relay part) and stuff an Aeon Labs Aeotec DSC 17103 module in its place hooked up to the built in switches (cover plate) for local control and zwave control.
Sounds like a plan
John
Funny, I was thinking of the same thing since I have a spare Aeotec that I bought to test. However, I managed to brick the Wink on the first day and it won't restore from it's factory backup so I think it's headed back. Instead, I've seen a couple tablet mounts that screw into a double gang switch box. I'll probably use one of those to mount a Samsung (which I can more easily unbrick since it has USB, etc) with an Aeotec behind it to control the covered up switches. It will just cost triple what the $69 Wink cost.
Old February 21st, 2017, 10:11 AM
Seer Deluxe

Hi, what tablet mounts have you seen that fit into a gang box?

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigF View Post
Funny, I was thinking of the same thing since I have a spare Aeotec that I bought to test. However, I managed to brick the Wink on the first day and it won't restore from it's factory backup so I think it's headed back. Instead, I've seen a couple tablet mounts that screw into a double gang switch box. I'll probably use one of those to mount a Samsung (which I can more easily unbrick since it has USB, etc) with an Aeotec behind it to control the covered up switches. It will just cost triple what the $69 Wink cost.
Old February 21st, 2017, 10:27 AM
Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpovolo View Post
Hi, what tablet mounts have you seen that fit into a gang box?

thanks
I hit the below first, haven't done much research yet. I'd prefer something that's flush to the wall. If I can't find what I want, I have 2 sons who are mechanical engineers with access to machine shops. (They may be in for a fabrication exercise.) I'm thinking either power over ethernet or even a small transformer in the box if I remove the switches and fit an Aeotech....since power is already there.

Now I need to see if I can find something for android that would use the front camera as a proximity sensor to turn the screen on/off like the Wink Relay.

http://www.vidabox.com/kiosks/vidamo...ure-mount.html
Old February 21st, 2017, 10:35 AM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigF View Post

Now I need to see if I can find something for android that would use the front camera as a proximity sensor to turn the screen on/off like the Wink Relay.
Imperihome does this pretty well... two different ways depending on your android build/tablet.

I will say that it doesn't actually turn the screen completely off ... you can still see the back lighting, but it's fine (at least for us), and only noticeable in the dark. I've built a bunch of cheaper refurbed tablets and installed these around my house.
Old February 21st, 2017, 09:41 PM
Seer Deluxe

Found this today but I don't no anything about MQTT, it makes the Relay a MQTT device and sends button presses and sensor data to a MQTT server, I think it disables the wink side and might get us where we need to be however I guess I need to do some reading.
https://github.com/mjg59/wink-relay-handler
Someone who knows something about MQTT please chime in, those buttons and sensors are waiting!
John