X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you look at the message board there are 2 plugins for DSC panels, this one here by Cactus Bob wich is listed as a third party plugin, there has not been any updates, support, or discussion on this plugin in almost a year??? Don't know why but I suspect that Bob does not support it any more, ( someone please correct me if I am wrong )
    The other plugin for DSC is from HS ,,,

Comment

as far as i know this is a dead end. i've got my system working but eventually i'm sure i'll have to get the HS version. When I do, I plan on pleading my case to HS to ask for a discount, because of how it all worked out.

There's a "beta" version of a version of Cactsbob's that was made for hs 2.2 I'm using it and it works on 2.3.0.19.

let me know if you'd like it.
      Plugins:
      BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

Originally posted by completelyhis View Post
        as far as i know this is a dead end. i've got my system working but eventually i'm sure i'll have to get the HS version. When I do, I plan on pleading my case to HS to ask for a discount, because of how it all worked out.

There's a "beta" version of a version of Cactsbob's that was made for hs 2.2 I'm using it and it works on 2.3.0.19.

I'm feeling the same way. It just kind of stopped, not sure what happend (may be personal issues, who knows.) Too bad as the beta was pretty good. Only thing was the version I have resets the panel time to Dec 2006 everytime HS restarts.

-Mike

Comment

glad to know it isn't just my system, then! (on the 12/06 thing).
          Plugins:
          BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

I would also plead my case to HS as to how this played out, a friend of mine bought the HS version at the same time I bought this one, well as they say "Caveat Emptor"

I am using HS Ver 2.3.0.19 & my DSC plugin has no problems I know of,it appears to work ok, if you don't mind I would like to try the beta version,,,

Thnx

Comment

There's not a lot HomeSeer can do to guarantee a 3rd party plugin developer is going to "stay around" and support his plugins. This is why I only buy HS plugins in hopes that they will outlast the plugin authors in this rough economy.
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Rupp,
                I understand that, and that's why I didn't ask for money back on the waf ab8ss plugin when Dave Kindred stopped being actively involved. My problem here is with the timing of it all. There was TONS of conversation going on about the need for a DSC plugin. No one stepped up, until Bob's 3rd party one. mysteriously, just a few short weeks after several of us plopped down some cash on Bobs, HS comes out with their own! Not even, "hey, we're going to develop this" but "Hey, here's ours." I brought this up some time ago and I was told that Bob and HST were in communication about the overlap the whole time (that's what HST told me, I haven't talked to Bob directly). Believe me, if I had been told that HS was going to throw their beta out there a couple weeks after I paid for the 3rd party one, I would have waited.

I only paid $10, it's not worth me getting all upset about. It's just the principle of it, I suppose.

EndVent
                Plugins:

Comment

Vent

Also, come to think of it, this is a good example of why HS maybe ought to revisit the 3rd party structure, with doing something different in the contract between the plugin author and HS, or escrowing the code, or saying that once an author walks away from the code it goes to public domain, something like that.

EndVent
                  Plugins:

Comment

Ditto

Rupp,
                    I understand that, and that's why I didn't ask for money back on the waf ab8ss plugin when Dave Kindred stopped being actively involved. My problem here is with the timing of it all. There was TONS of conversation going on about the need for a DSC plugin. No one stepped up, until Bob's 3rd party one. mysteriously, just a few short weeks after several of us plopped down some cash on Bobs, HS comes out with their own! Not even, "hey, we're going to develop this" but "Hey, here's ours." I brought this up some time ago and I was told that Bob and HST were in communication about the overlap the whole time (that's what HST told me, I haven't talked to Bob directly). Believe me, if I had been told that HS was going to throw their beta out there a couple weeks after I paid for the 3rd party one, I would have waited.

I only paid $10, it's not worth me getting all upset about. It's just the principle of it, I suppose.

EndVent
                    My thoughts exactly ...

Comment

Vent

Also, come to think of it, this is a good example of why HS maybe ought to revisit the 3rd party structure, with doing something different in the contract between the plugin author and HS, or escrowing the code, or saying that once an author walks away from the code it goes to public domain, something like that.

EndVent
                      I agree. HomeSeer should get the code if the plugin author bails but many times when they bail it's too late to get the latest code.

As far as overlapping plugins goes, I don't blame the guys for not letting users know about their plans because when they do the everyone start to complain that it's late or it's not moving along fast enough. There are only 2 guys doing all of the development work and they simply can't keep up with all of the code changes as fast as many want it.

Comment

Still supported

Is cactus bob still around? I am using his plugin, but it needs alot of new features. He does not seem to support it.

Anyone know?

Scott

Comment

Bob has left the building. This forum should be closed as this plugin is no longer supported.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                            Bob has left the building. This forum should be closed as this plugin is no longer supported.
                            He hasn't left, he's just not responding to this forum anymore Maybe if he decided to abadone it, he'll be fair and release the source code so others can take over?

On the brightside I just tried out the HS DSC plugin and for the first time in well over a year, the time on my panel is correct

-Mike

Comment

DCS IT-100 Connection to HS

Edit: Moved to a more appropriate forum
                              Last edited by juthale; May 29, 2015, 01:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X