xAP800 - TV echo cancellation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

xAP800 - TV echo cancellation

I have an XAP800, just playing with it (nothing in production), but I'm confused about something.

It's not an amplifier, and in fact wants pre-amplified signals from what I read.

How can I feed say an HDMI audio connection through it in order to do echo cancellation (eg, filter out the TV so that I can still issue voice commands when the TV is on)? Do any of you do this?

I was thinking - feed the HDMI input from source device (let's say a Roku) into an HDMI audio splitter, send the audio to the XAP800, and ultimately connect it to an amp and then to speakers.

Roku --> HDMI splitter --> 5ch to xAP800 --> amp --> speakers
    .....................| --> video to TV or distribution

Thanks for any input

Originally posted by hjk View Post
    I have an XAP800, just playing with it (nothing in production), but I'm confused about something.

It's not an amplifier, and in fact wants pre-amplified signals from what I read.
    It depends on what input you (mis)use. I say misuse because the mic inputs do amplify the input. In general it isn't an amplifier but you can raise the signals internally and at the outputs.

How can I feed say an HDMI audio connection through it in order to do echo cancellation (eg, filter out the TV so that I can still issue voice commands when the TV is on)? Do any of you do this?
    Yes you can and do so. Simply said, just feed in both signals and subtract the audio signal from the mic signal in the mic config panel.

I was thinking - feed the HDMI input from source device (let's say a Roku) into an HDMI audio splitter, send the audio to the XAP800, and ultimately connect it to an amp and then to speakers.

Roku --> HDMI splitter --> 5ch to xAP800 --> amp --> speakers
    .....................| --> video to TV or distribution
    The XAP800 is a complicated device that can do a lot for you. But before you can you, really, really have to understand how this all work. Even if you think you know how it 'should' work but never used an XAP800 you should read the manual.

I use one for years now and i've written a few do's and don't on my site that for sure will help you.
    You can find them here http://members.home.nl/b.vanzoelen/ZMC.htm

Once you have read that and make sure you do then you might want to see this working on HS3. If so then look also at this http://members.home.nl/b.vanzoelen/ZMCv4.htm
    - Bram

Send from my Commodore VIC-20

Ashai_Rey____________________________________________________________ ________________
    HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534
    PIugins: ZMC audio | ZMC VR | ZMC IR | ZMC NDS | RFXcom | AZ scripts | Jon00 Scripts | BLBackup | FritzBox | Z-Wave | mcsMQTT | AK Ikea

Comment

Originally posted by AshaiRey View Post
      The XAP800 is a complicated device that can do a lot for you. But before you can you, really, really have to understand how this all work. Even if you think you know how it 'should' work but never used an XAP800 you should read the manual.
      Thanks! I feel like I'm talking to a celebrity because I've followed your XAP800 adventures since ZMC3!

I guess my main question is how to feed the audio from a TV source to the XAP800. If my main TV device is a Roku, and has an HDMI output, normally I'd just plug this into the amplifier (*as* HDMI) and then it would send picture to the TV and audio to the speakers.

I don't want to send the amplifier output audio to the XAP800 because those signals would be amplified already. I would want to send PRE-amplified signals to the XAP800, as far as I understand.

Do you use a device that splits sound from the HDMI signal? Is that how you do it? I've seen those, but they usually give you an optical out. At the end of the day, the sound getting to the XAP800 must be decoded into 5-channel sound BEFORE hitting the XAP800, if I understand correctly.

I'm just wondering how to take an HDMI source, get the picture to the TV, and the sound to the XAP800. Do you know of some device that will get me there?

Thanks!!

Comment

Aha, i see what you want to do. I like to keep things simple so i just use stereo and for most of the in house background music (like elevator music situations ) i even use mono or just one channel. It's nice to have some music on the background like a (internet)radio playing.
        I think you need a hdmi audio splitter to get a separate audio signal like this one. However that one will give you only a stereo signal. For me that would be oke but i am not sure for you. If not then you have to search a bit more. I've seen splitters that are doing 5.1

The signal from the spitter is fed into the XAP, processed or anything else you want to do with it. And then send it back to a speaker or if it's need to be amplified to an amplifiers at choice.
        - Bram

Send from my Commodore VIC-20

Ashai_Rey____________________________________________________________ ________________
        HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534
        PIugins: ZMC audio | ZMC VR | ZMC IR | ZMC NDS | RFXcom | AZ scripts | Jon00 Scripts | BLBackup | FritzBox | Z-Wave | mcsMQTT | AK Ikea

Comment

Working...
        X