Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dimming performance in 5.19 firmware seems worse.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dimming performance in 5.19 firmware seems worse.

Hey all,

I recently flashed my dimmers with the latest 5.19 firmware. Previously I had a mix of 5.14 and 5.16.

After the update, I'm noticing none of my rooms get as dim as I was once able to. I've read about the varying performance of bulbs and all that, but the only variable here is the firmware.

Either from the switch itself, or my home automation solution (openhab), any brightness level between 2 and 20 (roughly) seems to be a total wash, until I set it to a brightness of 1, at which point all my switches essentially turn the bulbs off.

I don't want to roll the firmware back (if that's even possible), but this is kind of a big deal to me, since previously the switches were able to dim quite nicely.

Has anybody else experienced this, or have any insight?

Thanks!

What kind of LEDs are you using? We prefer the Philips warm glow widely available at Home Depot.

With 5.19 I have noticed that the cheaper LEDs from Home Depot also perform better - I had some shelf Lights installed with cat eyes and the only LED I could find was one that wouldn't work well with 5.12.

As you can see, the Living Room Ceiling Fan Lights is dimmed to 3% and it looks great and no buzz.

Could it be your fixture? What type of fixture are you using?
    Attached Files
    Michael

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

The bulbs are various LED recessed lights. Nothing fancy, just your typical Lowes/Home Depot stuff.

I'm positive it's not the bulbs though, because the dimming was way better when the dimmers were on 5.14 and 5.16 firmwares. Only after I updated everything to 5.19 did I start experiencing this inability to dim to low levels.

I'll probably look into rolling the firmware back if I can't fix this.

Comment

Well, I'm surprised nobody else has reported this issue as (for me at least) it's pretty glaring (no pun intended).

I flashed one of my dimmers back to 5.14 and the performance is back to what I'd expect. I can dim the lights down nice and low, and there is a far more obvious granularity between levels less than 20ish.

I'd prefer to be on the latest firmware, but this is way too much of a disparity in dimming for me to be usable. I guess as I purchase new dimmers, I'll be downgrading their firmware to 5.14.

I'll keep an eye on future firmwares, but unfortunately this is the fix for me.

Comment

Seems to me a simple solution would be to add a dining curve parameter to the next revision software so one could select the old verses new dining curves.
          HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
          Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
          Number of Devices: 484 | Number of Events: 776

Enabled Plug-Ins: 3.0.0.13: AirplaySpeak | 2.0.61.0: BLBackup
          3.0.0.70: EasyTrigger | 1.3.7006.42100: LiftMaster MyQ
          4.2.3.0: mcsMQTT | 3.0.0.53: PHLocation2 | 0.0.0.47: Pushover 3P
          3.0.0.16: RaspberryIO | 3.0.1.262: Z-Wave

Z-Net version: 1.0.23 for Inclusion Nodes
          SmartStick+: 6.04 (ZDK 6.81.3) on Server

Comment

Can confirm the similar result from 5.19.

5.14 had dimming control. Upgraded to 5.19 and could not dim at all. Tried a range of settings. Lights would goto 100% on.

Switched back to 5.14 and regained dimming functionality.

Running all new Sylvania LED cans.

--Rick

Comment

Working...
            X