www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > HomeSeer Products & Services > HomeSeer Hardware > HomeTroller Zee

HomeTroller Zee Discussions related to the HomeTroller Zee automation controller based on Linux.

Old November 24th, 2017, 11:26 PM
Seer

Puzzled by Polling & Node Status

Being a rookie, maybe I'm missing something. When I turn a light or other device on or off using an Intermatic HA07 remote it does not change the status of a node as viewed in HS Device Management the same way as if I use the control on/off button in Device Manager or if I use HS3Touch on my phone.

The reason I am trying to figure this out is, if my understanding is correct, is if I have an event which calls for action based on whether or not the light/device/node is either on/off and HS does not know the correct status (on/off) because I used a Intermatic remote to turn it on/off then the event will not run properly.

Currently, I have all lights/devices/nodes polling once every 12 hours or so at 5 minutes intervals (so only one node is being polled at a time) in an attempt to get the on/off status updated at least twice a day, but not so frequently as to overload the system with unnecessary "traffic".

So, my questions are:
1). Is there a remote, besides HS3Touch, that when activated also changes the on/off status in Device Management?

2). Is there a way to have HS check the actual on/off status of a node? I thought that was what polling would do, but maybe I'm wrong.

3). How can I get HS to check a node's status before running an event?

Thanks for any help.

Current Date/Time: 11/24/2017 10:24:50 PM
HomeSeer Version: HS3 ZEE S2 Edition 3.0.0.368
Linux version: Linux HomeTrollerZeeS2V2 4.1.19-v7+ #858 SMP Tue Mar 15 15:56:00 GMT 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux System Uptime: 0 Days 15 Hours 34 Minutes 50 Seconds
IP Address: 192.168.1.64
Number of Devices: 100
Number of Events: 26
Available Threads: 366

Enabled Plug-Ins
3.0.0.20: Ecobee
1.1.17325.308: MyQ
3.0.6529.21161: UltraWeatherWU3
3.0.1.130: Z-Wave
Old November 24th, 2017, 11:53 PM
Seer Master

Hi,
What I can tell you is that I used polling more often, but those were not battery operated devices. I used to poll anywhere from 5, 6 7, or more minutes depending on my requirements. So having to know if a device was on or off I would look at if I wanted a light to be turned off after 1/2 hour or an hour, I would poll say 7 minutes so worse case scenario I could add up to 7 minutes to my time as Hs may not have known when it turned on. Then I also would make sure the polling times were odd numbers so I didnt have polls showing up at the same time affecting system performance. stuff like 7min 13secs, 6min 29secs , etc...
Basically just match a poll to reflect a reasonable time that you would need to know if the device was on.

Stuart
Old November 25th, 2017, 09:22 AM
Seer

Thank you regarding the polling frequency I appreciate the suggestion. I will give that a try.

Is there anyway to create an event where the first step is for HS to poll a device's status before taking any action?