www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > HomeSeer Products & Services > HomeSeer General Discussion Area

HomeSeer General Discussion Area General discussion about HomeSeer that does not fall into any other category or are not specific to 1.x or 2.x versions of HomeSeer.

Old February 14th, 2017, 04:14 PM
Seer

Look nice

All I can say is holy crap. I started home automation a month ago and I wish I knew then what I know now. First off I bought a bunch of the GE switches and a wink hub. Total garbage and the target audience is my grandfather (who is dead).

I switched to homeseer switches and hub. Reused as many of the GE switches in low traffic areas as I could. My house isn't huge but the builder went crazy on lighting. I have 58 light switch nodes now. More 4 gang than I care to admit.

Now I see these. I am completely reliant on the double and triple tap of homeseer. Assuming there is some way to quickly get at scenes I could see these as a replacement. Guess it would depend on if those swiping things supported something like a double tap or if I would have to easy access to scenes from the touch screen. It sure beats all the lables i put on switches to show not only what the switch controled but what the double and triple tap does. I mean if it was just me I wouldn't label, but the wife and kids can barely work them with the labels.

Good thing is I quickly became an expert at installing switches. Happens when you end up installing over a 100 in a couple of weeks (lots of exchanging due to the homeseer switch over).

On a side note. I accidently put a GE companion with a homeseer switch. As a warning don't do that. I now have a dead homeseer switch. It just flashes the lights connected to it about once every 3 seconds. Might ask homeseer if it is fixable.

Back to the original point. Holy crap these look cool. Way better than stuffing 4 smart switches into my four gang boxes and then spending about an hour with the label maker.
Old February 28th, 2017, 01:47 PM
OverSeer

What ever happened to the light switch that was supposed to integrate with HSTouch? I do not remember the company that was making them...but I guess they never took off?

Wonder how you change the images / blocks? I personally feel that is the largest problem is making it look nice, from a novice messing with it.

--Dan
Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.
Old February 28th, 2017, 06:42 PM
OverSeer

What ever happened to the light switch that was supposed to integrate with HSTouch?

Thinking it was called Moonshine Switch from a company called Domobec.

The postings here on the forum no longer exist.

They are still on the CT forum from May, 2009

Moonshine Switch / Domobec's New Product Line !!UPDATED!!

Automator

HS3 Pro & Lite Edition Beta 3.0.0.435

HS3 Wintel Touch | Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit | Oracle Windows Virtual Box ==> for Wintel only SAPI and HS3 plugins | Speech - Microsoft SAPI - Neospeech - Amazon Echo | Hardware | Haswell Intel iSeries 3 - 16Gb | Pine64 - 2Gb computers | Openpeak Intel Atom SoC tabletop touchscreens (15 HS tabletop tablets) | Touchscreens - Windows embedded POE connected |Light switches - X10,UPB, ZWave and Zigbee | Firewall - PFSense - 2 WAN plus 4 LAN interfaces | Network - Gb managed switches / POE WAP(s) | CCTV - Zoneminder IPHD cams - variety | Audio - Russound - AB8SS | Security - Leviton HAI Omni Pro 2 | Weather - Davis Vantage Vue - MeteoStick - WeeWx | 1-Wire - AAG, Midon and HB | OWFS - Mosquitto - Node Red - Python - RPi Stretch - OpenWRT
Old March 18th, 2017, 09:23 AM
Seer Master

The Brilliant definitely has a cleaner industrial design than the bRight switches. bRight does offer one advantage, the ability to mount next to an existing switch. As I have z-wave switches mounted everywhere I would want to keep these as it is easier to manually operate the light switch than to go through a touchscreen.

I still use 15" touchscreens in the high traffic areas for complete control. I also have Apple iTouch's mounted in iPort frames in less trafficked areas. This has worked well for some time but they are slow and the screen size is too small to do most things. So I have been looking for an alternative.

I have recently started experimenting with Kindle Fire 7" units. I haven't gotten the newest unit rooted yet, but when that is done then it's $49 plus the cost of a mount (probably vidabox) and you have a great option that can be mounted anywhere and complete control back into homeseer.
Old March 18th, 2017, 03:40 PM
Seer Deluxe

These look nice, but can you overcome the instinctual ability to walk into a room and then blindly turn on/off a load? I think I'd be limited in where I could use something like this. I like being able to walk into my living room balancing a plate in one hand, a beer in another, and instinctively reach out with one finger in the dark to hit a toggle or rocker switch. If these can be setup to "smack here" to control a load maybe it would be great.
Old March 22nd, 2017, 11:46 AM
Seer Deluxe

I emailed asking about whether there will be a way to integrate these with a (non-officially supported) z-wave hub like homeseer on day one. I'm not sure if they really answered the question, but they said:

"You are correct, we don't currently support Z-Wave devices natively, but those can be accessed through hubs like Wink or SmartThings. Homeseer is currently on our list to support, but given their API, it shouldn't be difficult to do."
Old March 22nd, 2017, 12:07 PM
Seer

I would likely buy some if they would integrate with HS. We will see.
Old November 8th, 2017, 12:57 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BtrSound View Post
I would likely buy some if they would integrate with HS. We will see.
I had also emailed these guys a while back and they said that the android market is available. So that means that HS touch could be used as well.

I am sure there will be a PI after this device actually gets released. They do say it wil be shipping in a few weeks though. We will see.
Old December 17th, 2017, 11:56 AM
Seer Master

I received my Bright switch yesterday. It's pretty nice, but I can't seen to get HS to see it. It's a z-wave controller, so it might need to have more devices added to it.

I was able to access the play store right out of the box and add HSTouch and the Sonos app. Here are some pics. There web site has much better ones. It's not bad for a 5" screen.
Attached Images

Old December 18th, 2017, 08:21 AM
Seer Master

They do look nice, and are reasonably priced as a $199 small format touchscreen.

So to clarify, if we were to use these in the homeseer setup and not use the native Brilliant HA software you can run it strictly as a browser and load HSTouch.

However the local load cannot be addressed by homeseer as it is not technically a z-wave switch but is in fact a z-wave controller? So local control of the load would not be possible without running Brilliant's native HA software?
Old December 18th, 2017, 08:36 AM
Super Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonmason View Post
They do look nice, and are reasonably priced as a $199 small format touchscreen.

So to clarify, if we were to use these in the homeseer setup and not use the native Brilliant HA software you can run it strictly as a browser and load HSTouch.

However the local load cannot be addressed by homeseer as it is not technically a z-wave switch but is in fact a z-wave controller? So local control of the load would not be possible without running Brilliant's native HA software?
I have 6 coming, so I hope that's not true. I was under the impression that you could use it with a third party controller.

That said, If HST needs one, when I get mine In I'll send them one (to borrow!) so they can get it working in HS!
Old December 18th, 2017, 08:38 AM
Super Seer

Maybe try these steps? (from their site where they specifically say it can work with a third party hub. It may just be that Homeseer needs to have one so they can add support for it).

Including or Removing Brightswitch from a network (Such as adding or removing Brightswitch from a Smart Home hub)

From the main screen select Gear, then Connections, then Z-Wave. Next, start the add or remove device process on the hub, then press the "Edit *name*'s Network" and "Start Learn Mode" buttons on Brightswitch. Wait until the process completes. Use the "?" mark displayed on the Z-Wave page on Brightswitch to update its knowledge about the Z-Wave network.

Brightswitch and the hub will share information about the devices they already have. Some hubs (such as a SIS hub) will allow Brightswitch to continue to add additional Z-Wave devices, some will not. Z-Wave devices on the hub that are shared with Brightswitch will be available on the Brightswitch Wi-Fi network.
Old December 18th, 2017, 08:43 AM
Seer Master

If it can be used as a local browser and a z-wave switch then I think it will be a great addition to any setup.
Old December 18th, 2017, 10:47 AM
Seer Master

Quote:
If it can be used as a local browser and a z-wave switch then I think it will be a great addition to any setup.
I am not sure what you are referring to "As a browser" ?

You can access the Android OS from the Bright Switch app. and use the play store. It is running 4.4 KitKat. HSTouch loaded just fine as did the Sonos app. I mention the Sonos app because that app doesn't play nice on a lot of Android devices.

As far as Z-Wave goes, the switch wants to be a controller not a device. At least that's what I see so far, but I do not use Z-Wave for much, only door lock support. I also haven't spent more then 5 min with the Z-Wave side of it.

I plan on using it as a controller and not even use it to control a light directly, unless the Z-Wave aspect will work.
Old December 18th, 2017, 11:21 AM
Seer Master

Sorry about the browser comment - I use Allonis for my touchscreens and all I need is chrome or another browser running on the device - so it looks like it will accommodate this. Just have to design the screens for this form factor.

I am assuming that this switch is designed to be installed over a standard gang switch and attaching the load for local control? I couldn't find any manuals on their site. If this is the case, then some sort of connection to homeseer would presumably be needed in order for homeseer to know that the switch is on/off and to control it remotely?
Old December 18th, 2017, 11:40 AM
Seer Master

Quote:
... I am assuming that this switch is designed to be installed over a standard gang switch and attaching the load for local control? I couldn't find any manuals on their site. If this is the case, then some sort of connection to homeseer would presumably be needed in order for homeseer to know that the switch is on/off and to control it remotely?
Yes, a single gang standard switch body, much like SmartHome's Insteon switch base is. Then the display is plugged into that and yes there is Line and Load connections to the base with screws no wires. The only thing is that the cove plate is quite large and you will need wall space to make this fit correctly.

There is a "?" in the lower left of there app, bad pic, but you might be able to see it in the above pic. Press that will will bring you to an online manual. The switch comes with a quick start guide to install the switch. Pretty basic stuff, there were no surprises and it just worked. I wired in a plug to the back of it to play around with it, expecting to have to spend some time getting it set up. Except for the Z-Wave, I was done in five minutes.

I am going to try the z-wave out again later this week/weekend if there's time. I am planning to install the switch in my kitchen running HSTouch with the default app on it for now. Might get to it tonight.
Old December 18th, 2017, 11:40 AM
Super Seer

Quote:
Sorry about the browser comment - I use Allonis for my touchscreens and all I need is chrome or another browser running on the device - so it looks like it will accommodate this. Just have to design the screens for this form factor.

I am assuming that this switch is designed to be installed over a standard gang switch and attaching the load for local control? I couldn't find any manuals on their site. If this is the case, then some sort of connection to homeseer would presumably be needed in order for homeseer to know that the switch is on/off and to control it remotely?
It replaces a standard switch and it each switch is a z-wave dimmer as well as a controller (controlling up to 5 other devices independently).

They are also going to have an open API. It is my hopes that the open API will give access to the other sensors in the switches such as the motion sensor*. In addition there is a camera in them as well, so I"m hoping the API will give access to that.

I've already emailed them about the API (months ago) so that when it comes out I can get the documentation and write a plugin to access the devices through that as well as over Z-wave.

*It was honestly my hope, and maybe this is still the case, that those sensors are available over z-wave as well. I mentioned this to them before as I was backer on their original crowdfunding for them.
Old December 18th, 2017, 11:42 AM
Super Seer

Quote:
I couldn't find any manuals on their site.
I just found this today, so haven't read through it all yet, but I hope it has lots of goodies on the API (if it's out yet) and the use of the device:

https://www.getbrightswitch.com/user...%3D%3D&mw=MjYw