www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > HomeSeer Products & Services > HomeSeer Hardware > HomeTroller Zee

HomeTroller Zee Discussions related to the HomeTroller Zee automation controller based on Linux.

Old December 1st, 2013, 01:42 PM
HomeSeer Technologies

Restore your Zee SD Card

There may be times when you might want to restore your Zee to factory defaults. We did not include a system restore on the Zee but it is not difficult to restore the system. The Zee uses an SD Card. If you have a PC with an SD card reader you can re-write the SD card with the original image. You can also back up your SD card if desired. This image requires an SD card greater than 8GBs in size.

To restore your SD card to the original image:

(NOTE: This procedure totally reformats your SD Card. all data will be lost!. If you have a HomeSeer configuration you want to save, go into Setup and select the backup option)
  1. Download the Windows imaging application from here:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/
  2. Remove the SD card from your Zee (remove the 4 screws on the bottom of the unit)
  3. Download the Zee image from here:
    www.homeseer.com/support/HomeSeer-Zee_Pi.zip
  4. Insert the SD card into your PC's SD card reader, it should show up a new driver letter, note the driver letter it is using.
  5. Launch the imager program and select the driver letter of your SD card, select the image file you downloaded, then select the write option to save the image to the SD card.

If you want to backup or copy your current SD card, insert the SD card into your PC, launch the imager program, select the driver the card is on, then choose the Read option to read your SD card and save it to an image file. You can then use this file to create another SD card if desired.

You can always order another SD card from HomeSeer if needed.

FAQ:

Q) Can I use my own SD Card?
A) Yes, we have picked the most reliable SD card we could find for the Zee, but any SD card 8GB or larger should work. Some SD cards are not as reliable as others and could cause issues.

Q) Can I put in a larger SD card?
A) Yes. After you save the image to the card, it will only use 8GB on the card. Log in with SSH and at the command line enter:
sudo raspi-config

Select the first option to expand the file system to the full size of your SD card.

website | products | support | youtube

Last edited by jseer; March 3rd, 2015 at 04:08 PM.
Old December 1st, 2013, 02:08 PM
OverSeer

Here I initially made a backup copy of the Zee SD card.

I then wrote a new SD card (larger and expanded it - 16Gb - maybe too much?)

I then put the original SD card away (well put it in a little plastic case and taped it to the underside of the Zee).

Used Linux and Windows. In Linux used the graphical interface for GParted.

Automator

Hardware | Haswell Intel iSeries 3 - 16Gb | Pine64 - 2Gb computers | Openpeak Intel Atom SoC tabletop touchscreens (15 HS tabletop tablets)

HS3 Pro & Lite
Edition Beta 3.0.0.435 | HS3 Wintel Touch | Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit | Oracle Windows Virtual Box ==> for Wintel only SAPI and HS3 plugins

HS3 Plugins - a bunch
Light switches - X10,UPB, ZWave and Zigbee
Speech - Microsoft SAPI - Neospeech - Amazon Echo
Security - Leviton HAI Omni Pro 2
Weather - Davis Vantage Vue - MeteoStick
Firewall - PFSense
CCTV - Zoneminder

Audio - Russound - AB8SS

Old December 28th, 2013, 09:05 PM
Viewer

file issues

Is anyone else having trouble with the zip file? I think it might be corrupted. Downloaded it again and still a no go in Windows. 'Unzip' complains of bad crc in Linux.

Linux still produced an image file so I flashed that and when attempting to boot, it was massively corrupted.
Old January 2nd, 2014, 04:41 PM
HomeSeer Technologies

I just downloaded the file and unzipped it ok on Windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmconviction View Post
Is anyone else having trouble with the zip file? I think it might be corrupted. Downloaded it again and still a no go in Windows. 'Unzip' complains of bad crc in Linux.

Linux still produced an image file so I flashed that and when attempting to boot, it was massively corrupted.
Old July 17th, 2014, 01:37 PM
Seer Master

Stuck on refreshing

I did the Restore on my SD card. I had to go and get a larger card, but who cares I got the zee up and somewhat running. This is the new issue, I go to the setup where I want to set up my interface for my X10, with TI. Any ways I click on X10 and pick from the selection. It says in the upper left hand corner refreshing, and is stuck there. I have let is sit there for about a half hour and still just saying refreshing. I go and unplug the zee, plug it back in and I see it on the network, I try to load into the zee, but it will not come back up, but it is showing on the network.
So I redo the SD card again and install it in the zee, all loads in, until I try to set up the interface and again it says refreshing and stick there, can not get out of it.
If I try to reset the zee buy unplugging it, goes back to pages that will not load in until I redo the sd card again, just to get into the program again. All is great until I do the interface.
My complete homeseer system went down at the same time, the zee and HS2, HS2 still is not working, no change it at all, but looks like we are progressing with the zee.
Just need to know why this is sticking on refreshing, PLEASE help me, we are needing to get the lights working fast, they have not worked going on day 4. Thanks for all the help in getting my sd card reset, but need to go a little bit more now.
Old July 17th, 2014, 02:39 PM
Seer Master

Stuck on refreshing

I all does fine until I get to the point to set up x10, then it sticks on refreshing page. It locks up and I can not do anything any more until I restore the SD card again.
Old July 17th, 2014, 10:24 PM
Seer Master

Thumbs up Keeps refreshing (PLEASE HELP ME)

I have zee starting up now and I can go through most all tabs. But when I click on setup to start my x10 TI, I get a message on top of the screen that says refreshing. I am so close in getting it to work now. I can now even get into it with winscp and putty. So I am so close, but I am able to get my interface set up. Please help me, I am so close to getting it running now. I still having problems with HS2 pro, but I have given up on it since I am so close with zee. So please help.
Old August 18th, 2014, 04:05 AM
Seer

Same problem here

Same problem with brand new HomeTroller. New installation, pages loaded fine until I touched the X10 interface setup. It locked up at "page is refreshing", and that was all she wrote. Restarting the HomeTroller allowed part of the home page to (slowly!) load again before the server conked out, but now not even that. I could try flashing the SD card again, but if the trouble just repeats itself, I might not bother. Major disappointment. If phone support can't work this out, back it goes, I guess.
Old August 18th, 2014, 07:49 AM
OverSeer

Try this:

1 - SSH to Zee and go to Top; write down the mono process and kill it.
2 - cd /usr/local/HomeSeer/config
3 - nano settings.ini such that it looks like this:

Quote:
gWebSvrPort=80
last_event_time=2014-4-24-10-58-0
gLastRunVersion=3.0.0.83
gLocationTimeZone=America/New_York
COMPort_X10:=/dev/ttyUSB1
instance_interfaces=
groupPhysical=True
gLogEnabled=True
gEmailUseGmail=True
gGmailUser=
gGmailPass=
io_interfaces=HSTouch Server:
Quote:
gWebSvrPort=80
last_event_time=2014-4-24-10-58-0
gLastRunVersion=3.0.0.83
gLocationTimeZone=America/New_York
COMPort_X10:
instance_interfaces=
groupPhysical=True
gLogEnabled=True
gEmailUseGmail=True
gGmailUser=
gGmailPass=
io_interfaces=
Not sure if that will work.

Here I wrote a new image to a 16Gb card initially expanding the image from the stock 8Gb to 16Gb.

My first boot of the Zee was very slow until I registered it and used Chrome instead of Firefox.
Old August 18th, 2014, 10:45 AM
HomeSeer Technologies

Is this with a Zee or a Windows based HomeTroller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilCamH View Post
Same problem with brand new HomeTroller. New installation, pages loaded fine until I touched the X10 interface setup. It locked up at "page is refreshing", and that was all she wrote. Restarting the HomeTroller allowed part of the home page to (slowly!) load again before the server conked out, but now not even that. I could try flashing the SD card again, but if the trouble just repeats itself, I might not bother. Major disappointment. If phone support can't work this out, back it goes, I guess.
Old August 18th, 2014, 10:50 AM
OverSeer

If it's a zee, that 'page refreshing' is an indication that mono has crashed.

Sent from my SCH-R970X using Tapatalk

HS3Pro Running on a Raspberry Pi2 (Raspbian)
64 Z-Wave Nodes, 162 Events, 293 Devices
UPB modules via OMNI plugin/panel
Plugins: Z-Wave, BLRF, OMNI, HSTouch, weatherXML, EasyTrigger
HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 Joggler
Old August 18th, 2014, 10:57 AM
HomeSeer Technologies

Found the problem, if you set a valid port on the zwave plugin, then remove that port with the plugin still set to that port, the x10 plugin causes an exception and takes down HS. We will have a fix shortly.

The fix Pete posted will work, this removes the COM port setting so it will start up ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmasonjr View Post
If it's a zee, that 'page refreshing' is an indication that mono has crashed.

Sent from my SCH-R970X using Tapatalk
Old August 18th, 2014, 03:43 PM
Seer

Smile

Thank you, all, this helps. I'm using the Hometroller Zee. I did get some help from Tyler at phone support this am, and did something similar to the above by hooking up a keyboard and typing the commands directly into the Zee.

Got the server going again, then promptly crashed it again when I "restored" a backup config file from the Windows machine I was trying HS3 out on. Now the technique I was sent doesn't want to work (can't find the /usr/local/HomeSeer/Config directory). My next step is to get a nice fast 16 gB SD card and use Rich's factory reset on it...since with all the experimenting I'm prone to do, I'll likely turf the OS again sooner or later. :-)

I'll get this thing going yet... Meantime, my legacy HS 1.7 is running the house.
Old August 18th, 2014, 03:45 PM
HomeSeer Technologies

When you do a restore it puts back the settings.ini file, so it makes sense that it would not work. But using a monitor and keyboard should work and the /usr/local/HomeSeer folder should be there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilCamH View Post
Thank you, all, this helps. I'm using the Hometroller Zee. I did get some help from Tyler at phone support this am, and did something similar to the above by hooking up a keyboard and typing the commands directly into the Zee.

Got the server going again, then promptly crashed it again when I "restored" a backup config file from the Windows machine I was trying HS3 out on. Now the technique I was sent doesn't want to work (can't find the /usr/local/HomeSeer/Config directory). My next step is to get a nice fast 16 gB SD card and use Rich's factory reset on it...since with all the experimenting I'm prone to do, I'll likely turf the OS again sooner or later. :-)

I'll get this thing going yet... Meantime, my legacy HS 1.7 is running the house.
Old October 3rd, 2014, 04:33 AM
Seer Plus

Is the Zee image from
ftp://ftp.homeseer.com/pub/HomeSeer-Zee-Image.zip

any different to the HS3-Pi image from
ftp://ftp.homeseer.com/pub/HomeSeer-HS3Pi-Image.zip

Just deciding whether to import a Zee from Homeseer or buy a Pi here and then buy HS3-Pi licence code separately.

Thanks.
Christopher
Old October 3rd, 2014, 11:28 AM
HomeSeer Technologies

They are the same image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarbat View Post
Is the Zee image from

any different to the HS3-Pi image from

Just deciding whether to import a Zee from Homeseer or buy a Pi here and then buy HS3-Pi licence code separately.

Thanks.
Christopher
Old October 3rd, 2014, 11:37 AM
Seer Plus

Many thanks.
Old October 16th, 2014, 05:26 AM
mjk

Is there a SD card image program that works on the new win 8.1 64 bit os?
Old October 16th, 2014, 10:07 AM
OverSeer

Win32DiskImage, USB Image tool and WinImage works.

You can write the image to anything, shrink it down to anything the copy the partition data from one device to another device using GParted in Linux.
Old October 25th, 2014, 06:03 PM
Seer

Unable to download from FTP site

Has the location of the Zee Image changed? I receive a 'webpage is not available message' when trying to access either of the FTP zip files:
I tried downloading the files on Oct 21 and Oct 25 using both Chrome and IE. I tried on 2 Win 7 laptops connected through different networks.
Thanks!