www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > HomeSeer Products & Services > HomeSeer Hardware > HomeTroller Zee

HomeTroller Zee Discussions related to the HomeTroller Zee automation controller based on Linux.

Old October 25th, 2014, 06:09 PM
OverSeer

Both of those links are working for me.

Cheers
Al
UltraGCIR GC-100|UltraNetcam|UltraPioneer|Ultra1Wire|DSC PC1832|BLLED|BLTVGuide|ImperiHome|jon00 Utilities|MySensors

PHLocation|X10 CM11A IOLinc,etc
Old October 25th, 2014, 06:31 PM
OverSeer

Here too on my tablet. Maybe its a firewall setting on PC?

Automator

HS3 Pro & Lite Edition Beta 3.0.0.435

HS3 Wintel Touch | Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit | Oracle Windows Virtual Box ==> for Wintel only SAPI and HS3 plugins | Speech - Microsoft SAPI - Neospeech - Amazon Echo | Hardware | Haswell Intel iSeries 3 - 16Gb | Pine64 - 2Gb computers | Openpeak Intel Atom SoC tabletop touchscreens (15 HS tabletop tablets) | Touchscreens - Windows embedded POE connected |Light switches - X10,UPB, ZWave and Zigbee | Firewall - PFSense - 2 WAN plus 4 LAN interfaces | Network - Gb managed switches / POE WAP(s) | CCTV - Zoneminder IPHD cams - variety | Audio - Russound - AB8SS | Security - Leviton HAI Omni Pro 2 | Weather - Davis Vantage Vue - MeteoStick - WeeWx | 1-Wire - AAG, Midon and HB | OWFS - Mosquitto - Node Red - Python - RPi Stretch - OpenWRT
Old October 26th, 2014, 07:38 AM
Seer

Thanks for confirming the location/files were valid. I tried a third network connection and was able to access the file successfully.
Old March 14th, 2015, 05:16 AM
Seer Master

When i put the SD into the PC. Start the Win32 Disk Image. Start it and chose the image on the card and then read i get "image file cannot be located on target device" what?

I just want to backup whats on it now. before i proceed with a factory reset.
Attached Images

Last edited by U5tabil; March 14th, 2015 at 05:43 AM.
Old March 14th, 2015, 07:16 AM
Seer Master

You don't chose the card, it is asking for a file name to save the card image to on your PC.
Steve
Old March 14th, 2015, 07:51 AM
Seer Master

Ok. Thanks. But what is the benefit by doing it this way, compared to just doing a regular backup in HS, and restore?
Old July 23rd, 2015, 09:06 AM
Seer

I am having a lot of issues after applying the latest update to my ZEE so I wanted to roll back to the factory image.

I'm very confused at this process.

I have downloaded the factory image and SD Card Win Imager but when I open my ZEE, it only has a 4GB SD Card. I really don't care what size the card is, but when you release a factory image, it should fit on the hardware you sold us.

Am I missing something here?
How do I roll back to a factory image?
Why would this downloadable factory image be bigger that what came from the factory?

Any help appreciated!!

Thanks
Old July 23rd, 2015, 09:28 AM
OverSeer

Hi Simon. You might need to format your SD card using something like SDFormatter. I cant remember all the options, but something about adjusting the formatted size - make sure that is off.

In any case, you'll want to format the SD card so that the full 4G is available.

Alternatively, you can put an 8G in there. I ran a Zee for a while with an 8G card.

Hope this works out for you.

HS3Pro Running on a Raspberry Pi2 (Raspbian)
64 Z-Wave Nodes, 162 Events, 293 Devices
UPB modules via OMNI plugin/panel
Plugins: Z-Wave, BLRF, OMNI, HSTouch, weatherXML, EasyTrigger
HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 Joggler
Old July 23rd, 2015, 10:19 AM
Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmasonjr View Post
Hi Simon. You might need to format your SD card using something like SDFormatter. I cant remember all the options, but something about adjusting the formatted size - make sure that is off.

In any case, you'll want to format the SD card so that the full 4G is available.

Alternatively, you can put an 8G in there. I ran a Zee for a while with an 8G card.

Hope this works out for you.
I'm happy to try anything, but the even the image file inside the ZIP is 8GB in size so I'm guessing it's not going to fit on a 4GB card.
I don't want to try to format the card and then not be able to install the image on it and be completely out of action.
Old July 23rd, 2015, 10:45 AM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonNWalker View Post
I'm happy to try anything, but the even the image file inside the ZIP is 8GB in size so I'm guessing it's not going to fit on a 4GB card.
I don't want to try to format the card and then not be able to install the image on it and be completely out of action.
Ah - I see.
You might have to contact support and ask them for an original Zee image that will fit on a 4G card. They might have just packaged it up wrong.
Old July 23rd, 2015, 10:53 AM
OverSeer

Quote:
Don't do this.

The original Homeseer for the Zee is just a directory. Purchase an 8 Gb SD card. I am thinking that Rob's image is for the RPi2 and not the RPi1. That said there are plenty of base img files in internetlandia. Write one of those to the new 8Gb SD card. Add mono-complete to it. Then copy just the Homeseer directory from your old 4Gb SD card to the new build 8 Gb card. Takes 5 minutes to do this.

The original Zee came with a 4Gb SD card. While it worked just fine it was too small for me to make my adds / changes to the device way long time ago.

BTW Homeseer updated the 4Gb SD card on the Zee to an 8 Gb SD card just a month or two after the release of the Zee.

I never did anything with the original 4Gb SD card. I do have it in the box of the original Zee. I can post the image but you really do not need it as it is old now and OS is not current.

Here updated the original 4Gb SD card to a 16Gb SD card and I was able to do my stuff and have plenty of play room.

Currently utilizing the new faster SD cards (16Gb) for the RPi2 Zee-2 device. The RW's are much faster on these cards.

Here repurposed the original RPi for use with Kodi. That said I am currently testing it with a fast 16Gb SD card and it is doing well.

@Simon; you can now purchase a fast SD card at Amazon for less than $10. Here to play purchased a "few" 16/32 Gb SD cards for RPi2 play.

You can do all sorts of stuff with the SD image in Linux.

IE: Boot up to an Ubuntu 14.04 LTS ISO on any PC. Using GParted you can copy partition by partition on your old 4Gb SD card to a larger 8Gb SD card and resize the partitions on the fly.

Today too you can compress the img file to just the meat of what the OS has to 1Gb which should be redone by HS for easy download.
Old December 18th, 2017, 03:10 PM
Seer

[QUOTE=rjh;

If you want to backup or copy your current SD card, insert the SD card into your PC, launch the imager program, select the driver the card is on, then choose the Read option to read your SD card and save it to an image file. You can then use this file to create another SD card if desired.

[/QUOTE]

I recently purchased a Zee S2 and would like to upgrade my SD card from the installed 8gb to a 16gb. I've tried to follow these instructions but when I put the 8 gb Zee S2 SD card into a card reader on my windows laptop I don't see the image file to be able to back up. Windows tries to format the drive which I cancel out of so as to not lose my original setup.

CAn anyone help? Do I need a special driver to be able to read the SD card formatted with Linux?
Old December 18th, 2017, 03:54 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeertz View Post
I recently purchased a Zee S2 and would like to upgrade my SD card from the installed 8gb to a 16gb. I've tried to follow these instructions but when I put the 8 gb Zee S2 SD card into a card reader on my windows laptop I don't see the image file to be able to back up. Windows tries to format the drive which I cancel out of so as to not lose my original setup.

CAn anyone help? Do I need a special driver to be able to read the SD card formatted with Linux?
When Windows is looking for an image file on the SD card it sometimes ignores images it doesnt instantly recognise. When you select the folder that the SD card is mounted on, select all files and the image should now display.
Old December 20th, 2017, 09:55 AM
Seer

Ok thanks will note for next time. In the end up I just installed a clean image and restored my configurations and data. Seemed to work ok other than I needed to reinstall the plugins and tweak a few configurations.
Old January 17th, 2018, 09:23 PM
Seer

Migrating from older Zee to newer Zee. If I back up the z-wave network, and then back up the system in system tools, can I then just restore the system in the new Zee? Anyone have experience on exactly what is required? What about my Global Cache plug-in, can I download that to my new Zee with no cost?
Old April 9th, 2018, 09:30 AM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjh View Post
There may be times when you might want to restore your Zee to factory defaults. We did not include a system restore on the Zee but it is not difficult to restore the system. The Zee uses an SD Card. If you have a PC with an SD card reader you can re-write the SD card with the original image. You can also back up your SD card if desired. This image requires an SD card greater than 8GBs in size.

To restore your SD card to the original image:

(NOTE: This procedure totally reformats your SD Card. all data will be lost!. If you have a HomeSeer configuration you want to save, go into Setup and select the backup option)
  1. Download the Windows imaging application from here:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/
  2. Remove the SD card from your Zee (remove the 4 screws on the bottom of the unit)
  3. Download the Zee image from here:
    www.homeseer.com/support/HomeSeer-Zee_Pi.zip
  4. Insert the SD card into your PC's SD card reader, it should show up a new driver letter, note the driver letter it is using.
  5. Launch the imager program and select the driver letter of your SD card, select the image file you downloaded, then select the write option to save the image to the SD card.

If you want to backup or copy your current SD card, insert the SD card into your PC, launch the imager program, select the driver the card is on, then choose the Read option to read your SD card and save it to an image file. You can then use this file to create another SD card if desired.

You can always order another SD card from HomeSeer if needed.

FAQ:

Q) Can I use my own SD Card?
A) Yes, we have picked the most reliable SD card we could find for the Zee, but any SD card 8GB or larger should work. Some SD cards are not as reliable as others and could cause issues.

Q) Can I put in a larger SD card?
A) Yes. After you save the image to the card, it will only use 8GB on the card. Log in with SSH and at the command line enter:
sudo raspi-config

Select the first option to expand the file system to the full size of your SD card.
Do you have an image available for the new PI II B+ ? The current image won't work on the non B+ model.
Old April 20th, 2018, 07:56 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjh View Post
There may be times when you might want to restore your Zee to factory defaults. We did not include a system restore on the Zee but it is not difficult to restore the system. The Zee uses an SD Card. If you have a PC with an SD card reader you can re-write the SD card with the original image. You can also back up your SD card if desired. This image requires an SD card greater than 8GBs in size.

To restore your SD card to the original image:

(NOTE: This procedure totally reformats your SD Card. all data will be lost!. If you have a HomeSeer configuration you want to save, go into Setup and select the backup option)
  1. Download the Windows imaging application from here:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/
  2. Remove the SD card from your Zee (remove the 4 screws on the bottom of the unit)
  3. Download the Zee image from here:
    www.homeseer.com/support/HomeSeer-Zee_Pi.zip
  4. Insert the SD card into your PC's SD card reader, it should show up a new driver letter, note the driver letter it is using.
  5. Launch the imager program and select the driver letter of your SD card, select the image file you downloaded, then select the write option to save the image to the SD card.

You can always order another SD card from HomeSeer if needed.

FAQ:

Q) Can I use my own SD Card?
A) Yes, we have picked the most reliable SD card we could find for the Zee, but any SD card 8GB or larger should work. Some SD cards are not as reliable as others and could cause issues.

Q) Can I put in a larger SD card?
A) Yes. After you save the image to the card, it will only use 8GB on the card. Log in with SSH and at the command line enter:
sudo raspi-config

Select the first option to expand the file system to the full size of your SD card.
Can I still use this process to move my HS3/Rpi2 from an 8gb microSD card to a 32gb card?

Here's why I am asking. I build my system on an 8gb card back in February. After a while I lost most of my Insteon devices and was not able to run a backup. On monitor I saw some file save errors. So I have tried repeatedly using different card readers and cards to create a fresh HS3 system on a 32Gb and a 16gb card. I get what looks like file system errors when it boots up and the web browser can't find HS3. Yet the original 8gb card pulls up the HS3 screens fine on the browser.

I can only guess the currently posted hs3pi2boot.zip image is broken. Or the download of Zee S2 V2 offered up in restore 1.4 is broken.

I am going to create a thread for this after searching some more as I would still like to have a fresh image on the 32gb card as it would be nice to have the ability to create a fresh image the way I did back in Feb.