www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > HomeSeer Products & Services > HomeSeer Hardware > HomeTroller Zee

HomeTroller Zee Discussions related to the HomeTroller Zee automation controller based on Linux.

Old November 27th, 2017, 02:58 PM
Seer Master

Zee S2 Capabilities

I searched this forum and found some info...basically, I’m thinking about purchasing a Zee S2 and was curious as to peripherals you could attach to it. I noticed it comes with USB ports, would any serial devices be compatible (via USB-Serial attachment)?

Are any digitial input/output or analog devices supported? Does this list exist somewhere?

I have a lot of older equipment laying around and was wondering if any would work with this device (X-10, Ocelot, weather stations, etc...).

Thanks,

BSR
Old November 27th, 2017, 03:49 PM
OverSeer

I noticed it comes with USB ports, would any serial devices be compatible (via USB-Serial attachment)?

Yes here utilize cheap single serial to USB cables and Digi Edgeports. Both work fine for me.

The Digi Edgeports are old and I used them in the HS2 days. They work fine with Linux. (Zee2)

Are any digitial input/output or analog devices supported? Does this list exist somewhere?

I have a lot of older equipment laying around and was wondering if any would work with this device (X-10, Ocelot, weather stations, etc...).

Homeseer sells an ADIO board. There is a plugin (3rd party) that works well with the Ocelot such that you can do X13 0 and ADIO with it.

Here use a serial link to an RPi to my Davis Weather console running CumulusMX (on the RPi). There is a plugin which reads the CumulusMX text file for Homeseer.

Today with the Zee2 you can do X10, UPB, Insteon, ZWave and Zigbee.

The Zee2 has a limit of 5 plugins and today Homeseer touch is part of the core of HS3.

Automator

Hardware | HS3 Pro - Haswell iSeries 3 - 16Gb | HS3 Lite Pine64 2Gb computers

HS3 Pro & Lite
Edition Beta 3.0.0.398 | Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit | Oracle Windows Virtual Box ==> for Wintel only SAPI and HS3 plugins

HS3 Plugins - a bunch
Light switches - X10,UPB, ZWave and Zigbee
Speech - Microsoft SAPI - Amazon Echo
Security - Leviton Omni Pro 2
Weather - Davis Vantage Vue - MeteoStick
Firewall - PFSense
CCTV - Zoneminder

Last edited by Pete; November 27th, 2017 at 04:15 PM.
Old December 3rd, 2017, 11:38 AM
Seer Master

Can't Change to Hard IP

I wound up getting a HomeTroller Zee S2. So far it's pretty cool, just have some Z-Wave switches w the system now.

I am having a weird problem in I can't change to a hard IP address. I am logged in as an admin account with HomeSeer (see attached).

Tried restarting and even powering down.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf IP Error.pdf (98.2 KB, 17 views)
Old December 3rd, 2017, 12:09 PM
OverSeer

The static GUI IP configuration does not work. I mentioned this a while ago to Rich and mentioned again this morning.

You have to manually change it to a static IP.

First do a copy and past of your /etc/network/interfaces file and post it here. (my preference and a learning experience for you)

1 - ssh to your Zee2
2 - sudo su
3 - cd /etc/network/
4 - cat interfaces (copy and paste here)

OR

Just statically configure the DHCP address in your firewall router using the mac address of the Zee2. Many HS users are doing this today.

Name:  asus.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  196.5 KB

I use the static DHCP stuff here for appliances (like HDHomerun or Samsung Smartthings) and statically assign IP addresses here for firewall, switches, servers, desktops and laptops.

The forum solution over the years offered to said issue is not to statically configure your Zee2 in the GUI but instead utilize an assigned DHCP address - DHCP Reservation - Reservation (sort of a mickey mouse band aid fix but it does work).

Last edited by Pete; December 3rd, 2017 at 12:46 PM.
Old December 3rd, 2017, 01:19 PM
Seer Master

For Raspian Jessie & later, the "proper" way to set a static address changed. See

https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.co...tic-ip-address

https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.co...on-jessie-lite

Prior to jessie, setting a static address was done by editing /etc/network/interfaces. Now, setting a static address should be done either through editing /etc/dhcpcd.conf, or alternately, disabling dhcpcd and doing it the old way.

Old December 3rd, 2017, 01:35 PM
OverSeer

Thank you David.

I have not looked at the current Zee2 Jessie image and do not know the network configuration on it.

I have though configured newer RPi's here running Jessie the way you mention above.

Two current RPi2's running Wheezy and updated show the new DHCP way of configuration (such that it has become a default now for Wheezy, Jessie and Stretch).

It is similar today to Ubuntu 16.04/16.10/17.XX 32 bit or 64 bit.

Just posted over here about similiar issue and Rich mentioned that the Zee2 Network GUI talks to the /etc/network/interfaces file (old way).

All written it should work in the GUI as many folks do not want to climb in to the Linux Rabbit hold or play with DHCP reservation on their firewalls (or even touch their firewalls).

That said though if you update your Zee2 once it will probably change the IP configuration methodology if it is still using the /etc/network/interfaces file.
Old December 9th, 2017, 01:28 PM
Seer Master

Linking Hometroller Zee S2 to Alexa Via Bluetooth

What is the best way to link a hometroller zee s2 to Alexa via bluetooth so i an use alexa units (echo and echo dots through the house) for homeseer announcements?

Is there a recommended bluetooth USB adapter?