Radon -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Radon -

So I'm health conscious lately - had a radon fan put in cause my meter had started registering high"ish".

If someone created a plugin for this device (which I do not own yet) I would buy it - and - the plugin.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Since it can report to a smart phone, I figure by the magic of HS that it can be a plug-in!

Any love for this?

To further clarify,

To further clarify, I already own this product -

https://www.amazon.com/Corentium-Det...detector&psc=1

Which is why I would go on to trust their product in the previous post.

Comment

Speaking as someone who works with residential and commercial indoor air quality in a professional capacity I wouldn't trust those things as far as I could throw an elephant. The same with the moisture meters so many people have, but they're probably not looking for the same level of accuracy there as I am (I have seen scathing criticism of people not using insulated moisture probes just to give an example of how seriously moisture is taken). Measuring radon is a fairly involved process. I don't know of any professional grade radon meter. It's always done chemically and the difference in results from a several day test and a week or so test can be shocking. Now that you have a mitigation system in place you should be able to trust the guarantee of the company that installed it...... I hope........ Still it's not a bad idea to run a test a few times a year in different seasons so determine if the characteristics of your bedrock has changed or occupant behavior/home modifications have created a need for a second stack. Here I have installed two stacks.
      Originally posted by rprade
      There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
        Speaking as someone who works with residential and commercial indoor air quality in a professional capacity I wouldn't trust those things as far as I could throw an elephant. The same with the moisture meters so many people have, but they're probably not looking for the same level of accuracy there as I am (I have seen scathing criticism of people not using insulated moisture probes just to give an example of how seriously moisture is taken). Measuring radon is a fairly involved process. I don't know of any professional grade radon meter. It's always done chemically and the difference in results from a several day test and a week or so test can be shocking. Now that you have a mitigation system in place you should be able to trust the guarantee of the company that installed it...... I hope........ Still it's not a bad idea to run a test a few times a year in different seasons so determine if the characteristics of your bedrock has changed or occupant behavior/home modifications have created a need for a second stack. Here I have installed two stacks.
        There are pro grade meters. They run a lot more than a 200.00 meter but they are proven. Not sure what profession you are in but? Would you have me mail my tests in??

Edit -
        Yes, I have mailed some tests in over the years - but in this house they equal the 200.00 meter's results fairly close.
        This company makes test equipment with tamper evident ability
        http://radon.sunnuclear.com/
        Last edited by Monk; December 12, 2017, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Call to plugin developers

Any plug-in authors have access to find out if this is possible? I know one of my neighbors mentioned he has something called First Alert that includes Radon monitoring somehow through his alarm company - presumably by a sensor as described in post 1.

Comment

Relating to radon locally many GC's here installed passive or active venting to the outside in storm wells in the basements.

Passive is just a PVC pipe to the outside and active using electric fans in PVC piping.

So ideally you want to do both passive or active venting and active monitoring.

Here (forced heat and air conditioning) have passive venting and added a built in to furnace electronic air cleaner with two sets of filters (regular and charcoal) which are cleaned / replaced once a month. Still using older style built in to furnace humidifier. New style is using active electronic fans and not a supply connection to the humidifier. Here keep the furnace fan (low speed) running 24/7 to circulate the air. In the winter try to keep the humidity levels around 35% or so. Higher humidity levels cause a swamp effect and can create mold problems. Many neighbors do proactive duct cleaning once a year.
            Last edited by Pete; December 13, 2017, 08:56 AM.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
              There are pro grade meters. They run a lot more than a 200.00 meter but they are proven. Not sure what profession you are in but? Would you have me mail my tests in??

Edit -
              Yes, I have mailed some tests in over the years - but in this house they equal the 200.00 meter's results fairly close.
              This company makes test equipment with tamper evident ability
              http://radon.sunnuclear.com/

I take my tests to a local lab. I'm not saying that non-chemical radon meters don't exist. I'm saying that I don't know about them and that they aren't used is the industry in my area, which is MA, and if they do exist I haven't heard anything about them. I do this work for major universities and residentially in my area. Occasionally for other types of commercial entities. The moral of the story is that if I went in to a $7,000,000 job with anything other than at least a multi-day chemical kit I'd be out of work until I found a new line of work.

So in a domestic setting I guess you should take the seriousness that I have with a grain of salt. If your gear works for you then I'm happy for you. But here personally I would run a few chemical tests per year if you have concerns. I never run chemical tests in my house any more as at this point I trust my mitigation system.
              Originally posted by rprade
              There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Dear Geeks - is this feasible?

Thank you S-F and Pete for your opinions.

My original question remains. Any interest in creating / selling a plugin that could interface with this device?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Do you even think it would be possible to do so?
                Further research shows this having Bluetooth as the connectivity - not WiFi.

Comment

Monk,

I've been looking at Airthings also. The Wave is Bluetooth only. Someone has written an app that can run on a Raspberry Pi with a Bluetooth adapter to read the info from the Wave (see https://github.com/marcelm/radonwave). It's then just a matter of importing the data into HomeSeer.

Also, it looks like Airthings is working on an API (http://docs.waveapps.io/) that will work in conjunction with their upcoming hub. Once the API is available, it should be relatively easy for someone (not me) to write a plugin.

-Chris

Comment

Thanks Chris - I will keep my eyes open - the API would surely allow for a plugin.

Comment

I was able to get the Airthings' raw data into HS using the following:

https://github.com/hpeyerl/AirthingsWave-mqtt (using just the install guide, disregarding the Home Assistant setup). Then just set a crontab to run every x minutes.

which can then be imported through mcsMQTT.

Comment

Thanks baudfather - This is interesting to me.

Comment

I'm still looking at what else I can do with mcsMQTT - pretty impressed that it has built-in basic graphing ability. I used influxDB before in my openhab setup - I'll have to look into integrating influx in HS at some point.

Comment

After toying around with this a bit in the last few days, you actually can use the script I linked alongside the app - as long as you're not constantly polling the Airthings, both the app and the script can take turns pulling data from the device. It looks like the Airthings only updates readings every 10 minutes or so, so if you set the script to run every 10 minutes should be more than adequate.

Also, the API cjohlandt mentioned previously is for the Wave Accounting software, not the Airthings Wave

Comment

Originally posted by baudfather View Post
                              After toying around with this a bit in the last few days, you actually can use the script I linked alongside the app - as long as you're not constantly polling the Airthings, both the app and the script can take turns pulling data from the device. It looks like the Airthings only updates readings every 10 minutes or so, so if you set the script to run every 10 minutes should be more than adequate.

Also, the API cjohlandt mentioned previously is for the Wave Accounting software, not the Airthings Wave
                              I run 100% Windows - this kills my chances, correct?

Comment

Working...
                              X