This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Tap-Link Details for PLC and Switches

>>> Local load control notification *IS* available *IF* you tap-link the desired switch into the PLC. Just hold the switch button down for 10 seconds, then go to the PLC (The 2414) and tap-link the two by pressing its button for 3 seconds (link management will remove the need for this, but for now this method works).

You should re-download the links into HomeSeer after doing this (scan an reprogram). Polling should be disabled after this as it won't be needed any more.

Can somebody provide the specific detailed steps for linking my SwitchLincs and the PLC in this fashion? Whatever I am doing is not working.

Peter
    Last edited by Oman; February 5, 2006, 02:14 PM.

Hold down the button on the PLC for 10 sec. then it will blink to let you know it is in link mode. then hold the on button of the device you want to link for 10 seconds. Same as linking any of the insteon devices.

Comment

It won't work with anything before .09 and it won't work with non 2.12 firmware :L

Jon

Originally posted by JB NY
      Hold down the button on the PLC for 10 sec. then it will blink to let you know it is in link mode. then hold the on button of the device you want to link for 10 seconds. Same as linking any of the insteon devices.
      Jon Ort
      JonOrt@The--Orts.com
      (Remove the dashes in the address, spam is getting out of hand)

Comment

So this is required even if we do the reprogram device?

I noticed the addresses are in the PLC link table. Is the tap link needed just to get the PLC address into the switches link table?

Are you pulling all the link tables from the switches to track all the local control?

Comment

The tap-add is just a method of adding switches without knowing the address. It won't make any difference how you add the switches in the end.

In all cases the plug-in has to download a bunch of information from the switch.

Jon

Originally posted by wuench
          So this is required even if we do the reprogram device?

I noticed the addresses are in the PLC link table. Is the tap link needed just to get the PLC address into the switches link table?

Are you pulling all the link tables from the switches to track all the local control?
          Jon Ort
          JonOrt@The--Orts.com

Comment

Got it. Tap Tap OR Manual add.

I think I got confused because I was reprogramming switches that were there before the upgrade to .10. Just adding a new one will download all the info.

Comment

Confused

I recently got my first Insteon starter kit and am slightly confused.

What is the PLC?
              jjsmd@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by jjsmd
                I recently got my first Insteon starter kit and am slightly confused.

What is the PLC?
                Powerlinc Controller - the plug in computer interface.

Comment

As has been posted in other threads, the instructions were wrong which is why I started this thread. If you want the PLC (and HS) to "see" when a switch is manually turned on or off (local control), you need to master-link the switch to the PLC (the device that connects between your computer's USB (RS232) port and a power outlet and injects the Insteon signals into your home wiring). The switch is the control and the PLC is a controlled device.

This is done by holding the switch ON for 10 seconds and then going to the PLC and holding the set button for 10 seconds. This needs to be followed by a scan and reprogram of the switch in HS / Setup / Insteon Config / List/Edit Devices. Some devices may take two or even three attempts at scan and reprogram before it completes successfully but I found that persistence pays off.

Once this has been done for an Insteon switch, HS will know when the switch is manually turned on or off. You can now use the "on for at least" condition to, for example, turn a device off after a set time. This negates the need for polling the device every minute to see if it is on (which seems to mess up the "on for at least" condition for now).

Peter

Comment

Is there local control status reporting on the ICON appliance module? I have tried to linked it to my PLC following the instructions on this thread and the status does not in HS when I turn the applicance on/off clicking the button on the alliance module. I have able to monitor local control on my padlinc load, but not the appliance module.

Comment

No. The current lamplinc and appliancelinc modules will not, in any way, report when the load is controlled by the button on the side of the unit, or using local load sense. The new versions of the lamplinc (I don't know the planned release schedule) will have local load reporting using the same method as the switchlincs.

Jon

Originally posted by eletourneau
                      Is there local control status reporting on the ICON appliance module? I have tried to linked it to my PLC following the instructions on this thread and the status does not in HS when I turn the applicance on/off clicking the button on the alliance module. I have able to monitor local control on my padlinc load, but not the appliance module.
                      Jon Ort
                      JonOrt@The--Orts.com

Comment

How annoying..... I just bought 6 lamp modules. I guess this is really cutting edge technology. Jon - do you know if there is going to be an upgrade path?

Comment

I don't even know for sure that this is actually going to make it into shipping products. All I do know is that SmartHome has heard about it and understands why it is an issue.

Jon

Originally posted by chadg
                          How annoying..... I just bought 6 lamp modules. I guess this is really cutting edge technology. Jon - do you know if there is going to be an upgrade path?
                          Jon Ort
                          JonOrt@The--Orts.com

Comment

Working...
                          X