This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phantom Link from KPL button

I have a KPL button that does nothing but arm my house in night mode. It is connected only to the PLC so that it can trigger the night arming event, and I have verified this with both HS and Powerhome (which I don't keep running, but use only for some linking). The problem is that it is also turning on a particular light as well, but a link to this light (or any light) does not show up in HS or PH. I have deleted the apparent link to the light manually several times, and that works for a day or so, then it reappears. I have also tried adding a link to the light (which then DOES show up in HS and PH) and then deleting it, with the same result -- it disappears, then reappears.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on here? It's just this one light and KPL button combo...

Thanks,

Joe
    Madcodger

This would be a lot easier if I knew what I was doing...

It would not be the KPL that is causing the problem, rather a stray receive link in the light control device. Factory reset the controller on the light. It is very strange that it just starts happening at random. Possibly the light controller is going into linking mode... is there a chance that something is pressing the button by accident?

Jon

Originally posted by Madcodger
    I have a KPL button that does nothing but arm my house in night mode. It is connected only to the PLC so that it can trigger the night arming event, and I have verified this with both HS and Powerhome (which I don't keep running, but use only for some linking). The problem is that it is also turning on a particular light as well, but a link to this light (or any light) does not show up in HS or PH. I have deleted the apparent link to the light manually several times, and that works for a day or so, then it reappears. I have also tried adding a link to the light (which then DOES show up in HS and PH) and then deleting it, with the same result -- it disappears, then reappears.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on here? It's just this one light and KPL button combo...

Thanks,

Joe
    Jon Ort
    JonOrt@The--Orts.com
    (Remove the dashes in the address, spam is getting out of hand)

Comment

Found it!

OK, I found it!

The phantom link was being created by a bad slave switch. I had an Icon set up as a slave switch that controlled this light and another. It somehow developed a bad link to the KPL, and was causing the light to come on despite that fact that it was dead for local control and showed no status LED, either. I just received some replacements from Martin and as soon as I switched it out, the phantom link was gone.

BTW, I'm losing Icon switches like mad lately. Just changed two out tonight, and have two more that need to be changed. One of them was in a location that is seldom used. I doubt the switch had been turned on 50 times total over the past few months, yet the paddle failed. On the one noted above, it failed and caused the problems noted. SH must be spending a lot more on marketing than QC!
      Last edited by Madcodger; October 14, 2006, 08:37 PM.
      Madcodger

This would be a lot easier if I knew what I was doing...

Comment

I have experienced this same problem from time to time. It has occurred when a timed event in Homeseer sends a dim command to my upstairs hall lights (all using ICON dimmer switches.) About 50% of the time it also dims my foyer light which is connected to the load on my foyer keypad. The link tables on the keypad are correct. The ICON switches 'appear' to have correct link tables. However, after resetting the ICON switches back to factory defaults...the problem will go away for several weeks but eventually comes back. There's no linking going on during that time either.

Also, I have one Insteon Relay switch that the paddle has failed. However, I've noticed if I hold the paddle down to turn on the device, if held down for about 5-6 seconds the light will come on. It won't come on unless you hold the paddle down and hold it. It will tap off just fine and you can hear the switch click when you press it to hold it down. It responds to remote commands just fine. I've not reset the switch yet...but may try that.

Thanks.
        Martin

Comment

Working...
        X