HS3 and the Raspberry PI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS3 and the Raspberry PI

My feelings are the same and I think that HS3 on Linux may be the way to go for me, the only reason that I am on the fence would be for some plugins that I's really like to play with. For example, I don't think that the Kinect plugin will ever make it on the linux platform. And some other plugins may never be ported by some developers. It's hard to tell which one will be ported or not. I wonder if some developpers that have experience with the Linux platform could assist in porting other developers plugins.

Lastly, I am not sure that I would get the response that I am looking for with the Pi, but recently seen this little odroid that looks promising, specs are much better than the Pi.
    Take a look and let me know what you think. http://hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php

Comment

I've only wrote three hs3 plugins, one worked on Linux without a problem the other two were problematic. The data received event handler for the mono ports class is missing which is rather critical for me. I know there are workarounds with timers/polling but I get very wary with that sort of stuff with the risk ending up in a bad loop and locking the processor up. Some legacy stuff that still calls older non .net libraries is likely never to work well if at all. It may not always be developers not wanting to support it rather mono does not fully support it...

Comment

I tried to get the full linux version of HS3 working on the Pi as well.

I had problems with version 3.2.3 of mono: with this version more often than not the plugins could not connect to HS. Rich said it was some issue with remote proxies, and that's why they turned the plugins into dll for the Zee, he also said he thought this problem was fixed in latest mono source.

So I built the latest mono source (3.2.7), it took me almost a day. With this version all my linux compatible plugins (EnvisaLink, iTunes DAAP, DirectTV, UPBSpud) start without a problem, but as soon as I try to reach a web page registered by the plugin, it makes the plugin crash.

For this problem Rich said "I know there are still some issues with that on the rpi and the latest MONO"

this is where I stand

Comment

Originally posted by spud View Post
          For this problem Rich said "I know there are still some issues with that on the rpi and the latest MONO"
          Looks like we will have to wait for MONO to be updated. Things seem to have gone a bit quiet about MONO on the pi forums.
          If anybody actually understands what the specific issues are we might be able to raise them with the people involved in developing MONO on Raspbian.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by spud View Post
            So I built the latest mono source (3.2.7), it took me almost a day. With this version all my linux compatible plugins (EnvisaLink, iTunes DAAP, DirectTV, UPBSpud) start without a problem, but as soon as I try to reach a web page registered by the plugin, it makes the plugin crash.
            I also managed to compile 3.2.7 but HS kept spitting out errors about various system files being missing so in the end I gave up and went back to 3.2.3. Many hours spent but not totally wasted as I know a bit more about Linux than I did before I started.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by bernieb View Post
              Lastly, I am not sure that I would get the response that I am looking for with the Pi, but recently seen this little odroid that looks promising, specs are much better than the Pi.
              Take a look and let me know what you think. http://hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php
              The odroid does look good but the PI is just so easy to get hold of and the vast user base means that any problem you hit somebody more experienced has usually found a solution. Not being being experienced with Linux I need all the help I can get.

If you do go down the odroid rout though, keep us posted
              Steve

Comment

From a quick look around the web I think the odroid uses mono from the same sources as the PI. Even more reason to try and bottom out the problems with hard float mono.
                Steve

Comment

I think it would be really cool if we could use a PI as a hardware HS3 server that incorporated the speaker client. You could sit those guys where ever you needed them around the house or around the world and plug your USB hardware (X10, Zwave, HSPhone, etc...) in them for HS3 to control. That would be an awesome feature...

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Coleman View Post
                    I think it would be really cool if we could use a PI as a hardware HS3 server that incorporated the speaker client. You could sit those guys where ever you needed them around the house or around the world and plug your USB hardware (X10, Zwave, HSPhone, etc...) in them for HS3 to control. That would be an awesome feature...
                    In theory I reckon most should be possible once HS release how to write plugins for the Zee which in turn will hopefully pave the way for Pi plugins. I believe a few changes need to be made before they work correctly, something about them being DLL's rather then EXE's.

Comment

The impression I am under is Zee will have an extremely limited number of plugins. The intent I believe is a very basic controller. Check the bottom of the hardware comparison table. The HS3 will be a stripped down version. After all it is less than $200 for the controller and software.

~Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Brower View Post
                        The impression I am under is Zee will have an extremely limited number of plugins. The intent I believe is a very basic controller. Check the bottom of the hardware comparison table. The HS3 will be a stripped down version. After all it is less than $200 for the controller and software.
                        I guess it is open to interpretation as http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...=162017&page=2 said there would be a 'plus' version later on that supported more plugins. I guess this is not a hardware limitation as there are no other versions of the pi to release so guess it is a software problem to overcome. I've not tried running standalone Exe's on the Pi but understand there may be some problems with Mono.

Comment

Time for an update.

The official version of hard float mono on the Pi has been updated to 3.2.8. This is now what you get with the command sudo apt-get install mono-complete. I updated my test Pi and also updated the HTouch plugin to 3.0.0.22.
                          HS3 Linux is still on 3.0.0.66. Z-Wave 3.0.0.64. Both lagging behind the windows versions. Is Linux always going to be treated as a bit of an afterthought?
                          I no longer have problems with the HSTouch server it runs with none of the dreaded errors in the Plug-in Status column.
                          I also installed Pushover 3P as a test and no errors there either.
                          I haven't done much testing yet and probably won't bother until things have settled down a bit with the windows betas and linux finally catches up. However, this is looking promising that HS3 full and the Pi are a match.
                          The dream of a green 5W home automation server is almost here I know the Zee is already there but this is full HS3!

Mono 3.2.8 still has some problems with windows forms, but I don't think this is likely to be an issue with HS3 as the UI is a web interface.

Steve

Comment

Speaker Only Client

I saw where someone mentioned running HS3 speaker client on the Pi. Is that available without a complete HS3 install?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveMSJ View Post
                              Time for an update.

The official version of hard float mono on the Pi has been updated to 3.2.8. This is now what you get with the command sudo apt-get install mono-complete. I updated my test Pi and also updated the HTouch plugin to 3.0.0.22.
                              HS3 Linux is still on 3.0.0.66. Z-Wave 3.0.0.64. Both lagging behind the windows versions. Is Linux always going to be treated as a bit of an afterthought?
                              I no longer have problems with the HSTouch server it runs with none of the dreaded errors in the Plug-in Status column.
                              I also installed Pushover 3P as a test and no errors there either.
                              I haven't done much testing yet and probably won't bother until things have settled down a bit with the windows betas and linux finally catches up. However, this is looking promising that HS3 full and the Pi are a match.
                              The dream of a green 5W home automation server is almost here I know the Zee is already there but this is full HS3!

Mono 3.2.8 still has some problems with windows forms, but I don't think this is likely to be an issue with HS3 as the UI is a web interface.

Steve

I'm watching this thread with great interest, but have been too busy to try it out myself. I've a couple of Pi's waiting to be played with... I really like the idea of an SD card with a "stable" system and another with a experimental system.

Doug

Comment

Working...
                              X