Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Autelis works with Amazon Alexa? Autelis Vs Pentair Screen Logic alexa skill...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi guys, sorry, I'm new to home automation and now i'm getting into controlling my pool.

I just moved to a new home and there was a pretty antiquated pool controller, the ones that have dials and little pins to control when it goes on and off. And to turn on my spa, I have to walk outside and turn valves and turn on the heater, then use the spa, then go back and shut it all off.

I talked to my pool guy (I know nothing about pools before this) and he told me I needed a:

Easytouch 8SCH-IC40 (520545) along with a Pentair Screen Logic bundle (522104)

He said this would connect wirelessly and I would be able to control all my pool functions on my phone via pentair's app.

I was reading up on this and saw lots of amazon reviews for the screen logic saying it didn't work very well and to consider the Autelis.

My only concern with Autelis is will it work with Amazon Alexa to use voice commands, mainly to turn on my pool lights, or set the spa heat, or something like that?

It seems Pentair recently came out with a Alexa Skill that allows users to use Voice to control some aspects like turning on and off the lights.

https://www.amazon.com/Pentair-Scree.../dp/B01J95QV86

Anyone set up the Autelis for voice control?

Any idea if I should go with Autelis or just stick with the Screen Logic? Price isn't that big of an issue since i'm spending thousands anyway.

Also, does the Autelis need a cat internet cable running directly outside to connect? I do not have any indoor keypads or panels in my system. Everything is outside. Is there no way to get wireless?

Sorry for the long winded post. I appreciate any help!

Bankingdom,

I have a Pentair Suntouch and the Autelis device.

I can control my pumps, the heater and check the air and water temperature via Alexa.

I installed Jon's Alexa helper (plugin), and I created events that control everything.
    I ask Alexa for the pool temperature, ask to turn on the heater, pumps, etc.

I am not familiar with the Pentair screen logic.

Chris

Comment

excuse me so what is the role of autelis?

is it the device that makes pentair speaks with homeseer?
      if yes what is the protocol? is it going to be with wires or wireless? should i prepare some kind of connection between the Pool machine room , and homeseer home troller computer in the basement?

Comment

Originally posted by Ramymounir View Post

if yes what is the protocol? is it going to be with wires or wireless? should i prepare some kind of connection between the Pool machine room , and homeseer home troller computer in the basement?
        here is some links for the pentair Autelis controller:
        http://www.autelis.com/pool-control-...easytouch.html
        http://www.autelis.com/wiki/index.ph...ouch/EasyTouch

the Autelis controller needs to be connected to your local network using ethernet

Comment

Yes, the autelis is the link between pentair and homeseer. The autelis becomes a virtual keypad for the pentair, connected with standard 4-wire cable, just like a regular petair keypad would be. The autelis then connects to your lan via ethernet cable. Once those connections are made, you can control the pentair with the plugin in homeseer, including by voice command via Alexis.

Alternately, the autelis also has a web server that you can connect to on your web browser or phone (data connection to your home wifi) and bypass hs3 altogether....but that is just for control and status, it gives you no automation or voice command abilities. It's not an either/or. I use homeseer, my laptop browser, or my phone concurrently. I advise against the pentair "screen logic bundle" even though I've not had experience with it. My pool guy tried to sell me a wireless keypad but I can do MUCH more with the autelis instead.

Here's my setup. Ask your pool guy to install a hardwired pentair keypad (top device in the photo) in your house, he'll have to run 4-wire to whatever location you select. Try to get it close to an ethernet connection. The autelis is bottom right in the photo, and you can see that I just jumped off the 4-wire in the pentair keypad to connect it. You can also see the ethernet cable.

Sorry, just realized the photo is sideways. Darn iphone.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by lakemirror View Post
            Yes, the autelis is the link between pentair and homeseer. The autelis becomes a virtual keypad for the pentair, connected with standard 4-wire cable, just like a regular petair keypad would be. The autelis then connects to your lan via ethernet cable. Once those connections are made, you can control the pentair with the plugin in homeseer, including by voice command via Alexis.

Alternately, the autelis also has a web server that you can connect to on your web browser or phone (data connection to your home wifi) and bypass hs3 altogether....but that is just for control and status, it gives you no automation or voice command abilities. It's not an either/or. I use homeseer, my laptop browser, or my phone concurrently. I advise against the pentair "screen logic bundle" even though I've not had experience with it. My pool guy tried to sell me a wireless keypad but I can do MUCH more with the autelis instead.

Here's my setup. Ask your pool guy to install a hardwired pentair keypad (top device in the photo) in your house, he'll have to run 4-wire to whatever location you select. Try to get it close to an ethernet connection. The autelis is bottom right in the photo, and you can see that I just jumped off the 4-wire in the pentair keypad to connect it. You can also see the ethernet cable.

Sorry, just realized the photo is sideways. Darn iphone.

thanks man for the detailed description and the photo..

if i may ask what is that Hai device next to the Autelis?

Comment

thanks man for the detailed description and the photo..

if i may ask what is that Hai device next to the Autelis?
              A thermostat. I use Rob Mason's HAI plugin.

Comment

Originally posted by clafa View Post
                Bankingdom,

I have a Pentair Suntouch and the Autelis device.

I can control my pumps, the heater and check the air and water temperature via Alexa.

I installed Jon's Alexa helper (plugin), and I created events that control everything.
                I ask Alexa for the pool temperature, ask to turn on the heater, pumps, etc.

I am not familiar with the Pentair screen logic.

Chris
                I just placed the order for Autelis, and upon downloading the plugin, I see that the set points only have a PLUS or MINUS controls.
                My goal was to just tell Alexa to set the SPA temperature to xx degrees, as we do with the HVAC.
                Correct me on this, but looks like I will have to ask Alexa what the temperature is, and then ask to increase/decrease N degrees and handle it on a event/script.
                Or make a script to do that using existing temperature and what was asked. Very odd, I guess.

The way I see it going:

Wife: Alexa tell homeseer to ready the spa
                Alexa: Sure. What temperature would like it to be? Outside is XX degrees
                Wife: Make it 98 degrees
                Alexa: No problem. That will take MM minutes. I will let you know when it is ready.
                Wife: I wish hubby was that efficient.
                Alexa: Sorry, if I comment on that, he will turn me off.

Comment

Originally posted by jetkit View Post
                  I just placed the order for Autelis, and upon downloading the plugin, I see that the set points only have a PLUS or MINUS controls.
                  My goal was to just tell Alexa to set the SPA temperature to xx degrees, as we do with the HVAC.
                  Correct me on this, but looks like I will have to ask Alexa what the temperature is, and then ask to increase/decrease N degrees and handle it on a event/script.
                  Or make a script to do that using existing temperature and what was asked. Very odd, I guess.

The way I see it going:

Wife: Alexa tell homeseer to ready the spa
                  Alexa: Sure. What temperature would like it to be? Outside is XX degrees
                  Wife: Make it 98 degrees
                  Alexa: No problem. That will take MM minutes. I will let you know when it is ready.
                  Wife: I wish hubby was that efficient.
                  Alexa: Sorry, if I comment on that, he will turn me off.
                  The setpoint devices only shows PLUS or MINUS buttons, but the whole temperature range is a control, meaning you can set it to XX degrees from an event or Alexa without any problem.
                  Not sure why I chose to not add a dropdownlist on the device page in the first place, I will change that in the next version.

Comment

Cool thanks. I never checked it.
                    You know, the more code I 'delegate' to you, the better. I break things...

Comment

Originally posted by jetkit View Post
                      Cool thanks. I never checked it.
                      You know, the more code I 'delegate' to you, the better. I break things...

in version 3.0.0.16 available here, I have added a dropdownlist that allow to select a specific temperature for setpoint devices

Comment

Originally posted by spud View Post
                        in version 3.0.0.16 available here, I have added a dropdownlist that allow to select a specific temperature for setpoint devices
                        Still on version 3.0.0.15, but fixed by changing the control type to Drop List.
                        Thanks for fixing it so promptly (as usual).

Comment

Working...
                        X