Running ASPX web pages on a RPi2/3 Zee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running ASPX web pages on a RPi2/3 Zee

There has been a long standing bug running ASPX web pages on the latest RPi builds of Homeseer. You can check this out by calling the test ASPX web page supplied with your copy of HS3.

How?
    View your Device Management Page on your favorite web browser. Look at the URL and you will see that it ends with /deviceutility Change this to /test.aspx and submit the page.

When the page loads, you will most likely see the error image shown below.

I recently asked Rich about fixing this issue as this restriction severely limits the capability of the RPi. He replied that he had spent many hours trying to diagnose the problem (without success) and concluded that it was a Mono issue. He then asked me if I would take a look! Well I know very little about Linux or Mono but started to have a play anyway.

Bottom line is that I tried all sorts of things and suddenly ASPX pages started to load correctly! I really don't know what fixed the issue so I had to download a fresh RPi image of HS3 to find out!

The solution turned out to be very simple but why it works I don't really know.

Copy the supplied testvb.aspx (unzip first) to your html directory (/usr/local/HomeSeer/html) and then call testvb.aspx in your browser.

If all goes well, (after a period of time), you should see 'hello' on the screen.

Finally call test.aspx again and that page should load. All other Homeseer ASPX web pages should now work as well (I have a few to download )

Please let me know if it works for you.

FYI, Mono version on the stock build RPi2/3 image suppled by HST is 4.5.1
    Attached Files
    Jon

Wow, Jon - very nice!

Mine did not work, since I am still running a RPi2 that has an image with mono 3.2.8, so I still get the error.

I have an RPi3 that is ready to go - just need time to convert my events using the new Labs utility from HST.

From what I remember about this, the initial .aspx call causes compilation to occur which can take quite a while on the Pi. Once compiled, subsequent calls are very fast.

I'm hopeful this pans out - aspx support is sorely needed - we could write so many useful utils!
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

OK , let me know if it works on your RPi3.

I've only tested this on a RPi3 Model B. Perhaps running this very simple web page has enough speed to compile in time?
      Jon

Comment

!!! I will give this a whirl this weekend!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
          Wow, Jon - very nice!

Mine did not work, since I am still running a RPi2 that has an image with mono 3.2.8, so I still get the error.

I have an RPi3 that is ready to go - just need time to convert my events using the new Labs utility from HST.

From what I remember about this, the initial .aspx call causes compilation to occur which can take quite a while on the Pi. Once compiled, subsequent calls are very fast.

I'm hopeful this pans out - aspx support is sorely needed - we could write so many useful utils!
          Originally posted by jon00 View Post
          OK , let me know if it works on your RPi3.

I've only tested this on a RPi3 Model B. Perhaps running this very simple web page has enough speed to compile in time?
          Ok I tried running this as well on my Zee S2 and got the same error and I'm running mono 4.5.1. So it looks like the RPi 2 B doesn't have enough power to pull it off.

Although the RPi 2B and the RPi 3B don't seem that much different, same amount of memory and just a little bit faster 1.2 GHz V 900 Mhz, the biggest difference is that the RPi 3B is a 64 bit processor compared to the older ones which we 32 bit.
          HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
          Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
          Number of Devices: 484 | Number of Events: 776

Enabled Plug-Ins: 3.0.0.13: AirplaySpeak | 2.0.61.0: BLBackup
          3.0.0.70: EasyTrigger | 1.3.7006.42100: LiftMaster MyQ
          4.2.3.0: mcsMQTT | 3.0.0.53: PHLocation2 | 0.0.0.47: Pushover 3P
          3.0.0.16: RaspberryIO | 3.0.1.262: Z-Wave

Z-Net version: 1.0.23 for Inclusion Nodes
          SmartStick+: 6.04 (ZDK 6.81.3) on Server

Comment

Fresh downloaded install of my Pi2 is now working for me. . .both test.aspx and testvb.aspx. :-)

Comment

Good to see somebody else has got this working! I think the key is you have to do this with a fresh RPi image. It does not seem to work retrospectively.
              Jon

Comment

Good to see somebody else has got this working! I think the key is you have to do this with a fresh RPi image. It does not seem to work retrospectively.
                Could the version of mono have anything to do with the problems? The version on my Zee S2 is 4.5.1 and I know PHLocation has issues connecting to iCloud when using versions less that 4.8.
                Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Comment

I believe the current RPi download image uses Mono 4.5.1. Why this works using a fresh build but not with an existing installation, is still a mystery.
                  Jon

Comment

I believe the current RPi download image uses Mono 4.5.1. Why this works using a fresh build but not with an existing installation, is still a mystery.
                    Are you talking about a fresh Pi install from the Pi image downloaded from HS or a fresh Pi build then loading HS3 on to that?

Comment

I'm talking about the Pi image for the Zee.
                      Jon

Comment

I'm talking about the Pi image for the Zee.
                        Yep, that's weird all right.

I was going to try an updated mono but my Z-Wave radio module has partially failed and I've waiting for HS to get back on the trouble ticked I sent in.

Comment

Hello Everyone, ran into the aspx issue with my SEL running Mono 5.4.1.6. Since this thread is the only resource I could find regarding this issue, I wanted to let everyone know what I've found. It appears only certain versions of Mono are able to display aspx pages properly. I had to revert to Mono 5.0.1.1 in order to get them to appear properly.

If anyone is experiencing this issue on Linux (this is not specific to the Zee or SEL) please take a look at my notes. In the troubleshooting section there are instructions on how to remove Mono and towards the top there are instructions on how to install Mono 5.0.1.1.

Comment

Hi Jon, i get this error using mono version 5.16.0.179:
                            Attached Files

Comment

The problem is a VNBC issue. Check this thread for a workaround: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...ge-compilation
                              Jon

Comment

Working...
                              X