What version of Mochad works best with CM15a plugin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What version of Mochad works best with CM15a plugin

Mark I was wondering what version of Mochad works best with the CM15a plugin. The reason I ask is that Sourceforge are still offering version 0.1.16 as the latest download yet they have 0.1.17 available which supposedly resolves the issues people were having using the Systemd and Udev system.

I'm using Raspbian Jessie which clearly demands Systemd and the Udev system.

To be perfectly honest I am not sure. I have not looked at mochad in quite some time and I've not reviewed any of the update info. Any chance you'd be willing to load the latest version and test?
    Best regards,
    -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
    Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

The reason I ask is I've got 0.1.17 on a Raspbian Jessie install which was supposed to to resolve the issue with Systemd and Udev rules.

When I send a command to turn on a light in x10 the log shows that the command had been executed correctly yet nothing happens. When I check systemd status mochad.service mochad is shown as running.

I've just noticed a version 0.0.18 version but all it does is address ipv6 tables which is of no concern to me

Comment

Originally posted by mfisher View Post
        To be perfectly honest I am not sure. I have not looked at mochad in quite some time and I've not reviewed any of the update info. Any chance you'd be willing to load the latest version and test?
        Mark I have Mochad 0.1.17 loaded at the moment. Is there anything in particular you want me to test on it.

Comment

My test system is running JesseLite 4.4 and mochad 0.1.16. When I enable the plugin with a CM15a connected, HS3 starts mochad without any issues and the CM15a functions properly. Here is a snip from my HS3 log after enabling the plugin:
          Code:
          Oct-08 08:33:56	 	Plug-In	Finished initializing plug-in CM15A
          Oct-08 08:33:55	 	CM15A	Initialization Successful.
          Oct-08 08:33:55	 	CM15A	mochad is not running, starting...
          Oct-08 08:33:55	 	Info	Plugin CM15A has connected. IP:127.0.0.1:56044
          Were you having problems with mochad v0.1.16 or did you just decide to upgrade?

As for testing, with mochad 0.1.17 loaded, enable 'Developer Mode' then enable the CM15a plugin:
          1) what is shown for the status of the plugin?
          2) what is logged in the HS3 log by the plugin?
          3) can you send X10 commands?
          4) do you receive X10 commands?

Thanks for your help!
          Best regards,
          -Mark-

Comment

Mark, before I carry out any of the testing you suggest could you indicate how Mochad is configured in your Jessie Lite setup. Do you have Mochad run as a service using the Systemd service.

Assuming you originally installed Mochad as a makefile what else did you need to do to ensure that Mochad responded to any calls made by the CM15a plugin. Does the CM15a go into some form of sleep mode after a certain period of time.

Comment

Yes, mochad is started using systemd, here is a copy of 'mochad.service' on my system:
              Code:
              [Unit]
              Description=mochad is a Linux TCP gateway daemon for X10 CM15A/CM15PRO/CM19A
              After=sysinit.target

[Service]
              Type=forking
              ExecStart=/usr/local/bin/mochad
              Restart=on-failure

[Install]
              WantedBy=multi-user.target
              I do not recall having to install mochad separately and I believe it was installed as part of the full linux version of HS3, so I have not built it from the source.

Mochad is started when Linux discovers the CM15a hardware plugged in and as far as I know it does not sleep.

What version of HS3 Linux are you running? Was mochad not installed with HS3?

Please note that I am not the author of this plugin but volunteered to support the X10 plugins after HS Tech announced that they would no longer be supporting them.
              Best regards,
              -Mark-

Comment

Mark I totally understand and appreciate that you have volunteered your time to answer any x10 related issues where possible. I have taken that on board when asking questions i.e. no unreasonable demands and total patience on any replies that you provide if and when you have the time.

I was not aware that Mochad was installed onto HS3 Linux when the CM15a plugin was installed. I assumed the Installation of Mochad was done as a separate operation prior to the downloading and installation of the CM15a plugin. As Mochad is not available in any of the Debian Repos to my knowledge, any time I've needed it for x10 I've always installed it as a makefile. This might explain why I am having problems with x10 on HS3 Pro. I may have two versions of Mochad running.

I'm currently running HS3 Pro on Raspbian Jessie with Mono 4.6 and have Mochad 0.1.17 installed. From what you have now told me, I'm going to do a fresh install of HS3 Pro and skip the installation of Mochad as you have pointed out this is not necessary.

There's not much in the way of "how to's" for this particular plugin but thanks for the time and the heads up on this error I made on installation. I'm using a similar Systemd file to your own.

I'll let you know how I get on with this revised installation.

Comment

I reinstalled HS3 on a fresh copy of Jessie without installing Mochad as I'd previously done and here's a copy of the log.

Oct-10 01:18:01 CM15A Unable to communicate with CM15A, try re-connecting to USB port, will retry in 5 seconds...: Connection refused
                  Oct-10 01:17:57 Plug-In Finished initializing plug-in CM15A
                  Oct-10 01:17:56 CM15A Unable to communicate with CM15A, try re-connecting to USB port, will retry in 5 seconds...: Connection refused
                  Oct-10 01:17:56 CM15A Initialization Successful.
                  Oct-10 01:17:56 CM15A Error connecting to CM15A service: Connection refused
                  Oct-10 01:17:55 CM15A mochad is not running, starting...
                  Oct-10 01:17:55 Info Plugin CM15A has connected IP:127.0.0.1:55262

Does this look like Mochad is already installed in HS3

Comment

Copy of the log when disabled the CM15a plugin, rebooted HS3 and then enabled the CM15a plugin.

Oct-10 1:33:42 PM Info Plugin CM15A with instance: has disconnected
                    Oct-10 1:33:42 PM Plug-In Shutting down Plug-In: CM15A
                    Oct-10 1:33:39 PM CM15A Unable to communicate with CM15A, try re-connecting to USB port, will retry in 5 seconds...: Connection refused
                    Oct-10 1:33:34 PM CM15A Unable to communicate with CM15A, try re-connecting to USB port, will retry in 5 seconds...: Connection refused
                    Oct-10 1:33:29 PM CM15A Unable to communicate with CM15A, try re-connecting to USB port, will retry in 5 seconds...: Connection refused
                    Oct-10 1:33:23 PM CM15A Unable to communicate with CM15A, try re-connecting to USB port, will retry in 5 seconds...: Connection refused
                    Oct-10 1:33:18 PM CM15A Unable to communicate with CM15A, try re-connecting to USB port, will retry in 5 seconds...: Connection refused
                    Oct-10 1:33:18 PM CM15A Initialization Successful.
                    Oct-10 1:33:18 PM CM15A Error connecting to CM15A service: Connection refused
                    Oct-10 1:33:18 PM CM15A mochad is not running, starting...
                    Oct-10 1:33:18 PM Info Plugin CM15A has connected. IP:127.0.0.1:41410
                    Oct-10 1:33:16 PM Plug-In Finished initializing plug-in CM15A

Comment

Here looking at earlier versions of the Zee2 OS and inside of the mochad directory there is a file called.

91-usb-x10-controllers.rules

File appears to be configuring mochad on boot. Note too that this probably relates to the HS3 version of the X10 plugin from way long time ago.

Here have a copy of the orginal Zee OS on an SD card. Never used it as I went to copying it to a larger SD card at the time. Will have a look see at that SD card.

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="0bc7", ATTR{idProduct}=="0001", RUN+="/usr/local/bin/mochad"
                      SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="0bc7", ATTR{idProduct}=="0002", RUN+="/usr/local/bin/mochad"
                      Last edited by Pete; October 10, 2017, 08:37 AM.
                      - Pete

Auto mator
                      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Yes Pete that's the Udev rules. Assuming that a Systemd service is setup and enabled and the Udev rules are correct the CM15a plugin should connect to an instance of Mochad which in turn should communicate with the CM15 unit.

I have tried this but the plugin will not connect to the CM15 unit as you can see from the above log. I can separately install Mochad first, configure as above and the plugin will connect to the CM15 unit.

If Mochad is already packaged with HS3 Pro for Linux why can't I get the CM15a plugin to connect to the CM15 unit without installing Mochad separately.

Comment

Oct-10 1:33:18 PM CM15A Unable to communicate with CM15A, try re-connecting to USB port, will retry in 5 seconds...: Connection refused
                          Oct-10 1:33:18 PM CM15A Initialization Successful.
                          Oct-10 1:33:18 PM CM15A Error connecting to CM15A service: Connection refused
                          Oct-10 1:33:18 PM CM15A mochad is not running, starting...
                          Oct-10 1:33:18 PM Info Plugin CM15A has connected. IP:127.0.0.1:41410
                          Oct-10 1:33:16 PM Plug-In Finished initializing plug-in CM15A
                          This is what happens when mochad is started by the CM15a plugin and the CM15a device is not plugged in or recognized.

Here is a rundown of what is happening:
                          1) Oct-10 1:33:16 PM Plug-In Finished initializing plug-in CM15A
                          The plugin has been initialized.
                          2) Oct-10 1:33:18 PM Info Plugin CM15A has connected. IP:127.0.0.1:41410
                          HS3 has successfully connected to the plugin instance.
                          3) Oct-10 1:33:18 PM CM15A mochad is not running, starting...
                          Plugin sees that mochad is not running and tries to launch it.
                          4) Oct-10 1:33:18 PM CM15A Error connecting to CM15A service: Connection refused
                          Nothing returned from mochad
                          5) Oct-10 1:33:18 PM CM15A Initialization Successful.
                          This is a bug - it should not report that init was successful.
                          6) Oct-10 1:33:18 PM CM15A Unable to communicate with CM15A, try re-connecting to USB port, will retry in 5 seconds...: Connection refused
                          The plugin continues attempting to connect every 5 seconds.

I replicated this behavior by unplugging my CM15a and then enabling the CM15a plugin, and I received these messages on the command line:
                          Broadcast message from systemd-journald@raspberrypi (Tue 2017-10-10 08:47:25 PDT):

mochad[17936]: libusb_open_device_with_vid_pid failed

Broadcast message from systemd-journald@raspberrypi (Tue 2017-10-10 08:47:25 PDT):

mochad[17936]: Could not find/open CM15A/CM19A -5

Message from syslogd@raspberrypi at Oct 10 08:47:25 ...
                          mochad[17936]: libusb_open_device_with_vid_pid failed

Message from syslogd@raspberrypi at Oct 10 08:47:25 ...
                          mochad[17936]: Could not find/open CM15A/CM19A -5

root@raspberrypi:/etc/udev#
                          If I monitor the running processes on my Pi when the CM15a is unplugged and the plugin is not enabled in HS3 I see that mochad is not running. When I plug a CM15a into the Pi, mochad is automatically started.

Check and see if this is the case on your Pi. If mochad does not start when you plug in the CM15a then there is likely an issue with the install of mochad.

I am wondering if there is an issue with your CM15a or USB cable since you mentioned that you saw mochad was running but the plugin could not talk to it. Perhaps you might try testing mochad from the command line without HS3 or the plugin running. This is detailed on the SourceForge page:

== Run it

Plugging a CM15A or CM19A should launch mochad. There no need to run mochad by hand or run it from /etc/rc.local. mochad is launched by a udev rule that matches the CM15A and CM19A USB vendor and product ID codes.

== Use it

Connect to mochad using netcat. For example,

nc localhost 1099

You can connect to mochad from another host by specifying the IP of the host running mochad. netcat is available for Windows at <http://joncraton.org/blog/netcat-for-windows>.

Everything sent by mochad appears on netcat standard output. In the simplest use case, mochad/netcat can be used to see X10 PL and RF activity. For example, run mochad on one host with a CM15A then connect to it using netcat from a netbook. Walk around with various X10 RF remote controls and the netbook to see which remotes work from various locations.

Sample output:

12/07 20:49:10 Rx RF HouseUnit: C3 Func: Off
                          12/07 20:49:10 Tx PL HouseUnit: C3
                          12/07 20:49:10 Tx PL House: C Func: Off
                          12/07 20:49:10 Rx RF HouseUnit: C3 Func: Off
                          12/07 20:49:10 Tx PL HouseUnit: C3
                          12/07 20:49:10 Tx PL House: C Func: Off
                          12/07 20:49:17 Rx RFSEC Addr: 0x11 Func: Lights_Off_SH624
                          12/07 20:49:17 Rx RFSEC Addr: 0x11 Func: Lights_Off_SH624
                          12/07 20:49:37 Rx RFSEC Addr: C6:1B:00 Func: Motion_alert_MS10A

Everything sent to netcat standard input is sent to mochad. The following is a brief list of mochad commands.

pl a1 [on|off]
                          pl a1 [dim|bright] 0..31
                          pl a1 xdim 0..255

pl a1
                          pl a2
                          pl a [on|off|dim|bright|xdim|all_lights_on|all_lights_off|all_unit s_off]

rf a1 [on|off|dim|bright]

st -- show device status including RF security devices

By default, received RF X10 commands are repeated on the PL interface for all house codes. This can be changed using the rftopl command (RF to PL repeater).

rftopl * -- enable all house codes (default)
                          rftopl abc -- enable for house codes A, B, and C. Disable for all others.
                          rftopl 0 -- disable for all house codes. This is useful if more than one CM15A is in use. Leaving both enabled will result in PL collisions and redundant commands.

Please see http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...itle=Main_Page for more details on command and event messages.
                          Let us know what you find.
                          Best regards,
                          -Mark-

Comment

Mark, I tried the CM15 on another Raspberry Pi using Mochad and the unit is working fine. Used the Netcat ans all thhe echo commands

Back to HS3. My setup is practically the same as yours. Systemd file and Udev rules are fine too.I reboot the system and here's the output of systemctl status mochad.service

● mochad.service - mochad is a Linux TCP gateway daemon for X10 CM15A/CM15PRO/CM19A
                            Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/mochad.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
                            Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2017-10-10 18:40:55 IST; 5min ago
                            Process: 382 ExecStart=/usr/local/bin/mochad (code=exited, status=203/EXEC)

Oct 10 18:40:55 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Failed to start mochad is a Linux TCP gateway daemon for X10 CM15A/CM15PRO/CM19A.
                            Oct 10 18:40:55 raspberrypi systemd[1]: mochad.service: Unit entered failed state.
                            Oct 10 18:40:55 raspberrypi systemd[1]: mochad.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
                            Oct 10 18:40:55 raspberrypi systemd[1]: mochad.service: Service hold-off time over, scheduling restart.
                            Oct 10 18:40:55 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Stopped mochad is a Linux TCP gateway daemon for X10 CM15A/CM15PRO/CM19A.
                            Oct 10 18:40:55 raspberrypi systemd[1]: mochad.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
                            Oct 10 18:40:55 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Failed to start mochad is a Linux TCP gateway daemon for X10 CM15A/CM15PRO/CM19A.
                            Oct 10 18:40:55 raspberrypi systemd[1]: mochad.service: Unit entered failed state.
                            Oct 10 18:40:55 raspberrypi systemd[1]: mochad.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

Clearly the systemd mochad.service is not running.

Comment

After installing a fresh copy of Raspbian Jessie and following these installation instructions for HS3 Pro Linux version

https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=162813

what exactly do I need to do to get x10 working with the CM15a plugin.

I created a Systemd mochad.service similar to your own and the Udev rules are created correctly. I'm still puzzled as to why Mochad is not running on boot. I cannot even start it manually. The CM15 unit is good so that is not the problem

Comment

Working...
                              X