Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a stock/preferred way to do presence detection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does it take long to prep each Openpeak? What OS do you run on them?
    I am running XP embedded on the Openpeak devices. Playing though with W7 Embedded on them now. Windows 8/8.1 ran on them too.

They are using 16Gb SSD ZIF drives. Once built I just created an image to write to more SSD drives. The ZIF drive sits over the wireless stick inside. (they have a Gb, Wireless 802.11X, (bluetooth*), Zigbee and DECT built in). Bluetooth is optional. I also utilize an EFI or Seabios boot bios. Its easy to change the boot bios on them. (well too they are chipped such that you cannot brick them). They were made way ahead of their time.

Still have never used the DECT / Zigbee chips built in to the devices.

Still today after many years there are a number of them out there in some very nice Hotels being used as telephone kiosks using old Avaya in the cloud stuff.

I can do the most with them in XPe / Homeseer. I have others running Linux and Android. I am not any good at creating HSTouch screens though and wife prefers the Omnitouch screen simplicity.

There are a few Homeseer users here today still using them. Basically they just work; no fuss.

BTW have over 20 still runing HS2 HSTouch and now have added some 3 running HS3 HSTouch.

Newest HS3 touchscreens are larger though and using a PipoX7, Multitouch screen with now Windows 10. (and Kinect)...but haven't had time to play...works though. The Pipo X7 runs Ubuntu 64 bit a bit faster than Windows 10 32 bit. I can though tack the PipoX7 on the back of my office LCD TV (which is mounted near the ceiling ~ 40" sort of difficult to get to doing stuff with it).

Amazing thing about the Pipo X7 (Intel Baytrail) is that you can triple boot them running Windows 10, Android (latest version) or Ubuntu 14.0 LTS (64bit) giving you a choice of running Homeseer 3 touch in all three OS's.

(have a few of the Liliput in wall resistive types) now makes a small 10" multitouch) that you could put on a table and tack a PipoX7 on the back of them if you want a wired tabletop. I mostly use tablets here just for internet surfing and not really much for remote controlling stuff.

Here have wired occupancy and PIR's sensors. Tried the follow me automation and it was very low on the WAF. Cellular phones forwarded to land lines when home and are just left on chargers or off. Personally though since the early days of PDA phones while using new technology; never have been tethered to work phones. (by personal choice).
    Last edited by Pete; August 8, 2015, 09:10 AM.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by klieber View Post
      I've never used BLLan, but I've been using Pinger and found it to be both lightweight and easy to configure. It pretty much only does pings, so if you need more than that, it might not be the solution for you. But it's worked well for me so far. (and it's cheap at $15)
      BLLAN is free
      I'll give it another shot, since I plan to move my HS3 install to a VM to ease future maintenance... thinking of using Proxmox VE.

Originally posted by Pete View Post
      I am running XP embedded on the Openpeak devices. Playing though with W7 Embedded on them now. Windows 8/8.1 ran on them too.

They are using 16Gb SSD ZIF drives. Once built I just created an image to write to more SSD drives.
      I don't suppose you have a link to the howto for this?
      I tried checking one of the openpeak forums (saw you there too but could not make out where to start..

BTW have over 20 still runing HS2 HSTouch and now have added some 3 running HS3 HSTouch.
      !!! that's some serious numbers of controllers for home use

Newest HS3 touchscreens are larger though and using a PipoX7, Multitouch screen with now Windows 10. (and Kinect)...but haven't had time to play...works though. The Pipo X7 runs Ubuntu 64 bit a bit faster than Windows 10 32 bit. I can though tack the PipoX7 on the back of my office LCD TV (which is mounted near the ceiling ~ 40" sort of difficult to get to doing stuff with it).
      Have you seen this one? Pipo X8s.. they're desktop model with slanted screens.

http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_184150.html

I'd reckon these would be good to run HSTouch, Kinect and some SIP soft phone ... maybe use one of these handsets too:

Here have wired occupancy and PIR's sensors. Tried the follow me automation and it was very low on the WAF. Cellular phones forwarded to land lines when home and are just left on chargers or off. Personally though since the early days of PDA phones while using new technology; never have been tethered to work phones. (by personal choice).
      I don't think I'll try for 'follow me' anything, until there's ubiquitous Bluetooth detection around the house with Pi's or Beaglebones that tracks a smartwatch that you wear all the time.
      HW: HS3 w/ Win8.1 on ASRock C2550d4i. Digi AnywhereUSB, Hubport, Edgeport, UZB, Z-trollers, PLCBUS, SONOS, GC-100, iTach IP2SL, WF2IR, IP2IR, RFXtrx433, Harmony Hubs, Hue, Ademco Vista 128BP, NetAtmo, NetAtmo Welcome

Google Search for HomeSeer Forum

Comment

I don't suppose you have a link to the howto for this?
        Well there is bits and pieces on the Joggler forum and I have posted here on Homeseer...basically...

For Wintel

1 - initially update the stock device with an updated firmware.
        2 - then using SSH write a new boot bios to boot EFI chip
        3 - connect an SSD drive to the PATA port
        4 - plug in a keyboard, mouse and CD rom / USB stick drive and install the Wintel OS like a regular computer.

The OpenPeak also has HD audio and a modification for optical out...which I use for the master bedroom / bath HD to MM box...stream personal music or BBC (don't really listen to anything else these days)....same in automobile...

The original wintel drivers for the device came from some wintel guru obi wan folks in China I think.

The Linux Ubuntu /android builds and drivers came from folks (moderators) on the Joggler site.

A couple of years ago and relating to some large international multimillion dollar hotel chain in the pacific rim the original API (which we have) was provided to the IT folks such that they can go inhouse with the Openpeak devices.

The long term goal was to put one at each side of the bed (well they are there) and incorporate the telephones that side on either side of the bed today. I did install a little 4 port in wall POE managed switch to handle this stuff. Tiny thing.
        But I also utilize multiline DECT telephones today (panasonic) connected to old pots and VOIP lines plus have additional DECT phones plugged (connected to) my ooma box...don't really need this stuff...just play with it mostly....

...relating to my KODI boxes went to Aopen Digital engines purchased in bulk all running Ubuntu versions of KODI today...they are bigger though than the PipoX7's but would prefer the PipoX7 to be my new Kodi STBs...like the Openpeak devices these little boxes are all over the house .....

Have you seen this one? Pipo X8s.. they're desktop model with slanted screens.
        Wow...no...but here have been very satisfied with my PipoX7 and it is now running Windows 10 and Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit.

I want it...as long as it has built in wireless, bluetooth and a standard NIC on it...and very reasonably priced.

Well it's on Amazon for $115 with free shipping (I am an Amazon Prime member anyways)...thinking of ordering one today...see what you got me doing Leo....

BTW I am pete over here too....

Very nice specifications and would be the ultimate Homeseer 3 Touchscreen.

BTW the PipoX7 runs streaming HD CCTV and live TV perfectly here...in linux or wintel...I can get the Openpeak to do 1080 good streaming but have to use a Broadcom Crystal HD minipcie card in them ...does fine though with built in HD Intel graphics playing back from a USB device or streaming 720 video...

PiPO X8 Technical Specifications

- Chipset: Intel Baytrail quad core processor with Intel HD graphics (Z3736F)
        - RAM: 2 GB DDR3
        - Storage: 32 GB internal storage + micro SD slot
        - Video & Audio Output: HDMI, 3.5mm Audio
        - Screen: 1280x800px
        - Connectivity: 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0, 10/100 Ethernet
        - USB: 4x USB 2.0 port
        - Other Features: Power button, Integrated Speakers, 1 year Office 365 subscription.
        - Power Supply: 12v 2.5A
        Last edited by Pete; August 8, 2015, 02:00 PM.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
          Well there is bits and pieces on the Joggler forum and I have posted here on Homeseer...basically...

For Wintel
          Thanks a lot, not as simple as I thought ^^;
          I suppose it'd be worthwhile when you have a lot of jogglers (of the same variant) so the image creation is done (once) for the many jogglers...
          I was hoping there's a 'base image' type of thing that can just be injected to these.

...don't really need this stuff...just play with it mostly....
          Yeah, with these $100 baytrail quad cores with Windows 8.1 Bing preloaded and ready to rock.. I'd reckon those are the best buy nowadays.

Wow...no...but here have been very satisfied with my PipoX7 and it is now running Windows 10 and Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit.
          Cool. So all these preloaded Win 8.1 w/ Bing are eligible for free Win10 upgrade too?

I want it...as long as it has built in wireless, bluetooth and a standard NIC on it...and very reasonably priced.

Well it's on Amazon for $115 with free shipping (I am an Amazon Prime member anyways)...thinking of ordering one today...see what you got me doing Leo....
          Eheh... but I also went to grab some Jogglers too to follow you...

Very nice specifications and would be the ultimate Homeseer 3 Touchscreen.

BTW the PipoX7 runs streaming HD CCTV and live TV perfectly here...in linux or wintel...I can get the Openpeak to do 1080 good streaming but have to use a Broadcom Crystal HD minipcie card in them ...does fine though with built in HD Intel graphics playing back from a USB device or streaming 720 video...
          I love the tablet form factor for personal use, but for home automation I haven't found a 'good' (ie: household-blending form) base for them... especially with the power cable sticking out from the sides.

This Pipo x8 would be perfect if it has PoE.... but at least it's got RJ45, 4 USB ports, Bluetooth 4 (and wifi of course).

I wonder if jon00's bluetooth plugin would work with the bt adapters on these?

For $100 per node/room, you can have HSTouch, Kinect base, bluetooth base... and whatever windows utility/app you need to run on it (SIP phone, music streaming, etc).
          HW: HS3 w/ Win8.1 on ASRock C2550d4i. Digi AnywhereUSB, Hubport, Edgeport, UZB, Z-trollers, PLCBUS, SONOS, GC-100, iTach IP2SL, WF2IR, IP2IR, RFXtrx433, Harmony Hubs, Hue, Ademco Vista 128BP, NetAtmo, NetAtmo Welcome

Comment

so the image creation is done (once) for the many jogglers...
            Yes as it is just an image of the SSD drive. I have links to said images on MS or Google drives if you do get interested. It is much easier as it is just an image copy then plug n play ....send me a PM if you want to proceed ..you do need to disassemble the Openpeak just a bit...baby steps though and its not really an issue...well too you can purchase these used for $30-$50 so buy 2-3 of them....to play with...

So all these preloaded Win 8.1 w/ Bing are eligible for free Win10 upgrade too?
            I can only state that I updated mine with no issues...funny too I did the original request for the update not knowing that it was already there...

Eheh... but I also went to grab some Jogglers too to follow you...
            You want an Openpeak and not an O2 Joggler. The O2 Joggler has much of the hardware but it was sold a bit stripped of functionality.

This Pipo x8 would be perfect if it has PoE.... but at least it's got RJ45, 4 USB ports, Bluetooth 4 (and wifi of course).
            I've been doing POE with the Openpeak devices and they are a bit power hungry...originally using Tycon power splitters then went to TP-Link power splitters and sort of settled on Tycon midstream injectors ...24 port Tycon has one power supply per each of the 4 ports.

O2 Joggler power usage is...just shut down the screens at night as I cannot do WOL with them (I do with other touchscreens). Well too they all have light sensors built in so you can do something with that if you want...

- 1.24A/6.2W during startup
            - 1.09A/5.4W with the clock on screen set at lowest brightness
            - 1.40A/7.0W with the clock on screen set at Highest brightness
            - 0.14A/0.7W in STANDBY set by performing a SYSRQ+O

Googling on the PiPoX7 see that it consumes 11 watts with no screen...(not sure on these numbers though). I do not like though that it has ports all over and not just the back of it...here have modded the Openpeaks adding more USB ports but having them mounted on the back of the device rather than using the side mounted USB port. (well too the HDMI is the only digital audio on it - a digital audio combo port and HDMI audio would be nicer to have).

BTW just installed VNC on the PipoX7. Here is a screen shot running Homseeer Touch (showing a few CCTV cams) and KODI (streaming Live TV) on Windows 10. Also just noticed I that my pen and touch stuff is gone...probably relating to running VNC...I have run VLC via command line streaming live HD TV / RTSP inside of a Homeseer HSTouch box...its a real PITA to do this though...I found a switch under system to turn on tablet mode and now it is back on....(screen is a multitouch LCD)...

Note that connected PipoX7 screen is using 1440 X 900 and I am VNCing it to a 1900X1080 monitor (well on my desk).
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Pete; August 8, 2015, 02:57 PM.
            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

@Pete: PM sent, thanks a lot

Those are some mightly low energy consumption on the Openpeak device!

Wouldn't it be cool if HSTouch can be expanded with plugins? Then we can add RFID/NFC reader plugin, Bluetooth scanner plugin, Webcam ID, etc... all managed and distributed automagically via HSTouch.

All those would contribute to presence detection too btw, even identifying the user.

Comment

I just ordered two of these low energy bluetooth beacons. They are made for a car but perhaps they can work with tracking your phone inside of your home as well (launches programs or performs actions when you approach according to marketing information). The price is right at $10 each. Here is the link if anyone else wants to check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Planetview View Post
                  I just ordered two of these low energy bluetooth beacons. They are made for a car but perhaps they can work with tracking your phone inside of your home as well (launches programs or performs actions when you approach according to marketing information). The price is right at $10 each. Here is the link if anyone else wants to check it out.
                  What app do you plan to use those beacons with?

I think there are a few threads already discussing BLE beacons implementation for HA use. The holy grail seems to be to reverse the smartphone implementation... which is "moving reader, static beacons", to "moving beacons, static readers", by having a bunch of Pi/Beagle-bone type devices installed around your house, and to carry your beacon with you (whether it's the small <$10 beacons or using your smartphone/smartwatch's bLE as the beacon.

Comment

I am going to try leaving the beacon in the room and having it react with my smart phone similar to the car demo. They have an open stack platform and the first software for a car will have the ability to launch programs and perform tasks when you approach or leave. The company is also interested in using it for Home automation so I wonder if I can get them interested in Homeseer... I live in the same area as the company although I don't know anyone there (yet)...

Comment

For what its worth, I decided to go the route of checking is phones were connected to my accesspoint. It seemed more reliable since it the phones will always continue to checkin with the accesspoint regardless of energy management of the phones.

I laid out my solution here (http://digitallifediaries.com/2011/better-presence/) if it could give you ideas on how to implement.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by LeoS View Post
                        I'm thinking of adding a signal (lights dimming or blinking, etc) 1 minute before the timer to turn off kicks in, just so users can retrigger if needed.
                        I like that Idea, thanks. I have ordered the similar Enerwave ceiling mounted motion detector from the link that I posted, it is much faster than my x-10 motion detectors and very accurate so far. I also did an override mode but am trying to figure out how to make a switch to activate that event with two taps as MacroMark mentioned briefly in one of the tutorials.
                        Last edited by Planetview; September 22, 2015, 12:38 AM.

Comment

Anyone doing presence detection via active clients list of a pfSense router? I dont want to go down the geofence route if i dont have to, as i often times put my phones in to high power savings modes, which kills geolocations.

Unfortunately the pinging my android phones doesnt work about 10 minutes after their screen goes off, but their active status stays up in my pfSense!

Comment

Originally posted by NotYetRated View Post
                            Anyone doing presence detection via active clients list of a pfSense router? I dont want to go down the geofence route if i dont have to, as i often times put my phones in to high power savings modes, which kills geolocations.

Unfortunately the pinging my android phones doesnt work about 10 minutes after their screen goes off, but their active status stays up in my pfSense!
                            This confuses me. What do you mean that pfSense says the device is active? pfSense does not accurately show the online status of devices and the DHCP leases expire after 24 hours by default. A lease will remain "active" until it expires, whether or not the device is connected. Those two together make pfSense really bad at reporting whether a phone is "present" or not. If you have something that shows the phone present, even when it is not online, how would you know it wasn't there?

A geofencing application uses negligible battery, much less than keeping the phone online and the fences are very reliable. PHLocation is also very reliable. With GeoFency and our iPhones, PHLocation has been 100% reliable at reporting whether the house is occupied or not.

As an added advantage we have outer fences that lets the system know when we are just under a mile from home (this is in addition to the 100 meter inner fence) and the location based reporting does a very good job of predicting if we are traveling toward home and reporting the distance from home.
                            HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Working...
                            X