Zwave Dying??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zwave Dying??

I have been having nothing but trouble from my zwave network today. It started with the kwikset lock not working and it has gone progressively worse from there. I am getting nothing but errors whenever I try to control one of my devices, and if i try to restart the znet interface I get this:

Apr-27 1:23:20 PM Z-Wave Error Basement Z-Net: The Basement Z-Net interface did not respond to the request for the HomeID and Node - it may be disconnected or malfunctioning (5).
    Apr-27 1:23:07 PM Z-Wave Error Basement Z-Net: The Basement Z-Net interface did not respond to the request for the HomeID and Node - it may be disconnected or malfunctioning (5).

The weird thing is that there are times when stuff works, and then it stops. I have puled out the batteries from my lock thinking that it was the problem since that is where it started.

Any suggestions on where I should start looking would be greatly appreciated.

Current Date/Time: 4/27/2017 1:33:06 PM
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.318
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home - Work Station
    System Uptime: 0 Days 1 Hour 31 Minutes 10 Seconds
    IP Address: 10.0.0.188
    Number of Devices: 730
    Number of Events: 722
    Available Threads: 400

Enabled Plug-Ins
    2.0.46.0: BLBackup
    2.0.28.0: BLML2HS
    2.0.91.0: BLRF
    1.0.3.0: BLShutdown
    2.0.66.0: BLSpeech
    3.0.0.32: EasyTrigger
    3.5.17047.194: GTS CPUXA
    1.1.6.0: Honeywell WiFi Thermostat
    0.0.0.30: Pushover 3P
    3.0.6319.33899: UltraM1G3
    3.0.0.36: X10
    3.0.1.112: Z-Wave

On your Z-Net, is the LED red or green? Green indicates the Z-Wave software is communicating with the Z-Wave controller card. Red means it cannot see the Z-Wave controller.
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

See this thread.
      Do you get a message "connected to interface ok" right before the "disconnected or malfunctioning" message? If so, the controller daughter card may be malfunctioning.

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
        See this thread.
        Do you get a message "connected to interface ok" right before the "disconnected or malfunctioning" message? If so, the controller daughter card may be malfunctioning.
        If that is the case that my znet is dying this is very troubling because the unit is only about two or three years old. If I am going to have to replace the znet interface every two years this is not making me too happy.

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
          On your Z-Net, is the LED red or green? Green indicates the Z-Wave software is communicating with the Z-Wave controller card. Red means it cannot see the Z-Wave controller.
          Thank you, I have looked at the unit and the green light is lit. I hate it because there are times when all works, and then times when nothing happens.

Comment

The green indicator is good news. I suspect that something else is going on with your controller though. Can you hook up an HDMI monitor to the Z-Net and watch for any error messages?

Comment

I don't have a monitor, but I have a TV with an hdmi input and I tried that but nothing showed up on the screen. Is there something I need to do to the znet when i hook it up? Restart it, etc?

Thank you

Comment

Yeah, restart it after you hook it up to HDMI. You'll want to keep an eye out for any error messages.

Comment

Thank you. I hooked it up to the hdmi input on the tv, restarted the interface, and I still see nothing on the monitor (tv).

Comment

You should have seen a lot of scrolling messages during startup.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you but I didn't see anything. I did the restart the interface from the zwave plugin. Should I have unplugged it and then plugged it back in?

I guess I should have tried it anyway...

Comment

You won't see anything except at initial startup (power up) of the znet.

Comment

Thank you, I will have to try it later this weekend as I am back to work. The weird thing is it started working last night, then quit again this morning. I did see this in the HS3 log at startup, does this show any problems?

Apr-28 4:55:33 AM Z-Wave Basement Z-Net: ............................................................ ..........
                          Apr-28 4:55:33 AM Z-Wave Basement Z-Net: .............................. FINISHED ..............................
                          Apr-28 4:55:33 AM Z-Wave Basement Z-Net: ............................................................ ..........
                          Apr-28 4:55:33 AM Z-Wave Basement Z-Net is the SIS for the network.
                          Apr-28 4:55:33 AM Z-Wave Basement Z-Net There is a SUC/SIS in the network.
                          Apr-28 4:55:33 AM Z-Wave Basement Z-Net Controller is static lib.
                          Apr-28 4:55:33 AM Z-Wave Basement Z-Net Controller chip type is ZW050x.
                          Apr-28 4:55:33 AM Z-Wave The interface's security support has been set.
                          Apr-28 4:55:33 AM Z-Wave Basement Z-Net: Found 51 Z-Wave nodes in interface node ID 1 (Basement Z-Net)
                          Apr-28 4:55:33 AM Z-Wave Basement Z-Net: Z-Wave interface node ID: 1, Home ID: 003D0C47
                          Apr-28 4:55:33 AM Z-Wave Basement Z-Net: Z-Wave Serial API version: 5
                          Apr-28 4:55:33 AM Z-Wave Basement Z-Net: Z-Wave services for the SECURITY COMMAND CLASS were successfully started.

Comment

For hardware checking relating to the Z-Wave internal card check:

Note that these are hardware checks that can affect the software running.

1- Open the Case and make sure the Z-Wave card is not falling out or loosey goosey.

I have seen this happen once during shipping. It is a tight fit normally.

2 - SSH to the device while it is running and check out the logs in the /var/log directory.

Look a the syslog. If you want a live view utilize Putty remotely and watch the logs this way....

sudo tail -f /var/log/syslog

3 - force an SD disk check with a reboot. (FSCK) or pull the SD card, plug it in to a SD to USB stick using line command line or GPARTed do a check on it.

If the issue is related to hardware you will maybe see something.

Note too that the Z-Wave devices and configuration are on the Z-Wave card or USB stick firmware. You cannot lose it unless you reset it.

Here my original RPi2 used a Z-Wave dot me GPIO card and an RTC shim underneath (stacked). Still working fine today.
                            Last edited by Pete; April 28, 2017, 03:03 PM.
                            - Pete

Auto mator
                            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
                            X