Phillips HUE motion sensor / mailbox notification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phillips HUE motion sensor / mailbox notification

I have wanted to setup notification for my mailbox for quite a while now.
    Up until recently I haven't found any device that I was particularly fond of.

After reading up on the HUE motion sensor, it intrigued me for this purpose; so I ordered 1 to test.

My mailbox is a high end 1/4 thick metal box, and I was concerned that the signal would be blocked or the range seriously compromised. My mailbox is about 100 feet out from the front of the house, and I decided to use clear packing tape to attach the sensor to the upper inside of this mailbox.

I have done quite a few tests in the last 24 hours, and I'm happy to say that the sensor detected motion every time!

I created an event to email me when motion is detected. So I now have a $39 dollar mailbox detector that integrated with my HUE hubs and HS3.

I tried this with a door sensor and I was too far away....similar setting. Assume this needs the hue hub?

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes, you need the hub...you can pick one up for $60.

Keep in mind I also have a couple of HUE bulbs in my front porch carriage lights, so the mailbox sensor is relaying through those bulbs.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMxyzptlk View Post
        I created an event to email me when motion is detected. So I now have a $39 dollar mailbox detector that integrated with my HUE hubs and HS3.
        A real fun and handy solution when your mailbox is a walk away I like the idea, but in my case the mailbox is in the front door The wife won't let me do it

Wim
        -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

1210 devices/features ---- 392 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

Leave it to the ladies to take away all of our fun!

Comment

I'm sorry, I bought the Philipshue plugin instead of the Jowihue (I can't remember why I did not choose the jowi one, ran into some problems with Jowi). But now it seems that the Jowi plugin supports the motion/lux detection, and lux detections is what i need. I want to run certain events based on light level (zwave light sensors are all crappy). Philipshue does not seem to support lux level. Should I switch?
            Thanks!

Comment

That would be a personal preference. But I have tried the others and the JowiHue plugin works best, for me, and the developer is very responsive.

Comment

Originally posted by erdek View Post
                I'm sorry, I bought the Philipshue plugin instead of the Jowihue (I can't remember why I did not choose the jowi one, ran into some problems with Jowi). But now it seems that the Jowi plugin supports the motion/lux detection, and lux detections is what i need. I want to run certain events based on light level (zwave light sensors are all crappy). Philipshue does not seem to support lux level. Should I switch?
                Thanks!
                I can confirm the plugin supports the lightlevel. In fact I am using it myself activily to enable saturated color setting when light becomes a bit lesser (but still good light). The brightness is set brighter or lower depending on the amount of light. I like it a lot this way.
                I am of course a bit biased on your question if you should switch... that is your choice at the end

Thanks,

Wim
                -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

Comment

Hi, bought Jowihue, but I'm not able to find the motionsensor anywhere in Homeseer 3. It does appears in the Hue app, and I switched it of there. Still no luck. What's the procedure to associatie the motion sensor with Jowihue? All my lights are visible and controllable by the way, by Jowihue and by the standard Hue plugin.
                  thanks!

Comment

JowiHue created 4 devices for me. Motion, Battery, Ambient Light, and Temperature.

Make sure you look in your floor and rooms for JowiHue devices...you may not have that checkbox enabled?

Comment

Erdek,

Did you find the switch in the configuartion page? The plugin won't anable the motion sensor without that option enabled.

Wim
                      -- Wim

Comment

Working...
                      X