New User - Best Board to Post Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ITguyHS View Post
    I found some more devices that might work. Both of these are switches and say they support instant-status.
    https://www.amazon.com/Enerwave-ZWN-.../dp/B01G7OD3ME
    http://www.homecontrols.com/Zipato-Z...le-ZPPHPAN04US

For dimmers, take a look at these:
    https://www.fibaro.com/en/products/dimmer-2/
    https://www.amazon.com/Qubino-Z-Wave...eywords=qubino

I think both of these support instant status, but I'm not 100% sure because of the way some of the specs are worded.
    Some smaller companies support it in some way or another, but since there was a patent held by Lutron, they didn't necessarily advertise it as such ( know Enerwave did this). I believe that patent has since expired, but that doesn't mean that the specs have been updated. All my switches support instant status. I have a few of the Aeotec micro switches and I'm almost 100% sure they support it, but they are all in areas where I can't reach them (in the attic). I don't use micro switches like that in areas that hook up to a switch. I happen to use mine for controlling outside lights which none have physical switches in the house (previous owner wired them in, I just added control via z-wave).

I'm working in my attic sealing it up, but I have to wait for days that my wife is teaching (She's a sub) so that the kids aren't in the house. I know she works Thursday, so I know I can test the Aeotec microswitches then. No guarantee that the nano ones will, but I think if the older ones do, the newer would would be more likely to.

Comment

Originally posted by sirmeili View Post
      I'm working in my attic sealing it up, but I have to wait for days that my wife is teaching (She's a sub) so that the kids aren't in the house. I know she works Thursday, so I know I can test the Aeotec microswitches then. No guarantee that the nano ones will, but I think if the older ones do, the newer would would be more likely to.
      That would be extremely helpful! Thanks!
      Fred

HomeSeer Pro 3.0.0.548, HS3Touch, Zwave 3.0.1.252, Envisalink DSC 3.0.0.40, WeatherXML, Z-stick, HS phone, Way2Call

Comment

Aeotec says instant-status is supported

I asked Aeotec support if instant-status is supported by the micro or nano switch/dimmer. They replied:
        Yes, this is completely possible, by default it isn't set, but if your controller has the ability to set Parameter 80 [1 byte] = 2, then the Micros or Nano devices will send a status update to your gateway if you toggle it manually or if the state changes in these switch/dimmer devices.
        I think this means that both the micros and the nanos support this if you set the parameter.

Sirmeili: maybe you could test this when you get a chance?
        Fred

HomeSeer Pro 3.0.0.548, HS3Touch, Zwave 3.0.1.252, Envisalink DSC 3.0.0.40, WeatherXML, Z-stick, HS phone, Way2Call

Comment

I asked Aeotec support if instant-status is supported by the micro or nano switch/dimmer. They replied:

I think this means that both the micros and the nanos support this if you set the parameter.

Now that you mention that, yes param 80 is how you do it. I remember this from my Vera days. I don't know if mine have param 80 set, but I will try. I only have 2 hours in mornings in the attic before it turns to "hell", but I think I can do this quickly. I can set param 80 before then, as I don't need to touch them to set it

Comment

I contacted Aeotec through their contact form. The people there are quite helpful and do a good job at answering questions clearly. Usually I restate what someone has told me to be sure I understand it and he confirmed a lot and was easy to work with.

They can do instant updates, but you have to change a setting. Apparently there is a patent issue, so they don't have it enabled by default. It's param 80, as sirmelli said.

Also, sirmelli, at one point I found some low end tablets on Amazon and bought a few for remote control testing. I could easily set them up in a frame - one they could be easily slid out of for use. (I'd love to create a plug in there that they connect with when slid into a frame!) I love the idea of setting them up like pictures and then setting it up so the pictures change over time.

ITguyHS: I will be looking over the devices you've provided links to. While the Aeotec Micro Dimmer will work as I want it to, I've found that the Nano Dimmer will control ceiling fans, as I need, but doesn't have the power to control two of them. (I might have to set two up in parallel or something like that - or use something else.)

Comment

Originally posted by Tango View Post
              While the Aeotec Micro Dimmer will work as I want it to, I've found that the Nano Dimmer will control ceiling fans, as I need, but doesn't have the power to control two of them. (I might have to set two up in parallel or something like that - or use something else.)
              Are you absolutely sure the micro dimmer will control a ceiling fan? Do you mean switch? I'm scared if you put a ceiling fan on a dimmer it will fry it.

Or do you mean that you'll use it just at the wall switch and use the FanLinc to actually control the fan? Basically using it as a scene controller and using HS to tell the fanLinc what to do based on the dimmer's value?

Comment

Sorry, the Nano Dimmer can control a ceiling fan, not a Micro Dimmer. I confirmed that with the guy I was talking with in email. They also discuss wiring a Nano Dimmer for use with a ceiling fan here. I was skeptical at first, which is why I confirmed it, and wondered if he were making a mistake, but then I saw it in their user guide for the Nano Dimmer and I think that indicates that's an intended use.

The only issue I have is that I have two ceiling fans on the screen porch, both turned on by the same switch. That's more than what a Nano Dimmer can handle, so I may need to do something like what you mention. I might, though, be able to use two Nano Dimmers in parallel. I did ask about that. The trick is I'd have to have one in each fan cowl or some other arrangement like that.

Comment

Wow... I'm surprised. I would be hesitant to do it in fear I would mess up the ceiling fan motor, but if they say it's possible that's kinda awesome.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

So I looked over thier site last night. The fan option seems really sweet (especially since it can do fan or lights). I wonder if it does only 3 or 4 speeds or of it's actually gradual like a light dimmer.

Comment

The only issue I have is that I have two ceiling fans on the screen porch, both turned on by the same switch. That's more than what a Nano Dimmer can handle, so I may need to do something like what you mention. I might, though, be able to use two Nano Dimmers in parallel. I did ask about that. The trick is I'd have to have one in each fan cowl or some other arrangement like that.
                      Since you're going to have extra-deep switch boxes, couldn't you just stick two nano dimmers in the back of a box and have them both triggered by a single switch? Each fan would have it's own power cable and nano dimmer, but this would keep the nanos in an easily-accessible box instead of up in the fan. You might want to check with Aeotec about paralleling a single switch across two nano signal connections, but since it's low-voltage stuff, I don't think it would be a problem.
                      Fred

Comment

The push button switches we used are a little deeper than most switches. I talked it over with the electricians doing the wiring today and for the fans, I'll be putting the Nano Dimmers in the fan cowling. They're making sure I have both legs for the switch and the common and live wires at that point.

I was thinking of putting them in the switch boxes, but I think I'll do better with putting the fan controllers in the fan cowling - more room there. They seem to know more about home automation in particular and Z Wave in particular than the business owner. I suspect that's because they're working "closer to the metal" than he does at this point. Once they saw the wiring diagrams, they knew what was needed and we talked about the best way to do it.

One note: We have two rooms with two ceiling fans in them. One is the screen porch and the other is in the conservatory (my soon-to-be-wife's work room). I LOVE screen porches and in my current one, I have two fans, way too big for the space on my current screen porch, both controlled by a single remote. I can lie down and take a nap out there in the summer, even in the high 90s, and not wake up in a puddle of sweat. The conservatory is also a long room, so we decided it was better she have two smaller fans in there than one big one.

One Nano Dimmer cannot handle the power required for two fans, so I'm using one ND for each fan. Of course I'll set them up so they're controlled together.

Comment

I was going to go up there today, but I've hit some health issues. Past 2 days have been spent getting lab work done and seeing the doctor (and work). As it is I won't be going up there again until I know I'm clear. I thought I had appendicitis, but the doctor says I'm not. He says pulled muscle. I'm not wholly convinced yet... Lol

Comment

sirmeili: I hope it's just the pulled muscle thing - take care of yourself!

Comment

sirmeili: I hope it's just the pulled muscle thing - take care of yourself!
                              Ditto from me.
                              Fred

Comment

A get well wish Frank!

As we get older that whole abdominal processing gets slower sometimes and sometimes too some rarely utilize muscles decide to let us know they exist. (along with the stomach, intestine, gall bladder and rest of the stuff inside there).

Last week during a physical here asked physician about one knuckle here that appeared a bit to look like arthritis. (younger sister, mother and grandmother are / were affected by this).

My knuckle never hurts unless I try to straighten out the finger. She told me it was split tendon last week which I wouldn't have even thought of. Historically I did remember when it happened as I broke the finger at the time and just wrapped it with a couple of Popsicle sticks.)
                                - Pete

Auto mator
                                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                                Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                                HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                                HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
                                X