Is SmartStick ok with USB 1.1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is SmartStick ok with USB 1.1?

I'm jumping on the Schlage bandwagon, but my SmartStick is too far from the door to reach. I have a USB-Cat5 extender laying around, but it's USB 1.1.

At Z-Wave's transfer rate of 9600 bits/sec, I'm sure there wouldn't be a bandwidth problem, but I just figured I'd ask if there was any issues with using a SmartStick in a USB 1.1 interface...

Thanks,
    Chris

The laptop I previously used for HS2 only had USB 1.1.
    My Smartstick did not have any issues with it.

Comment

Cool, thanks for the info!

Chris

Comment

Yep, the SmartStick hanging off the old USB 1.1 Cables2Go extender with a 20ft Cat5e cable works like a charm.

In fact, I probably should have done this sooner, because the most distant Z modules are now one hop closer.

Purchased the Schlage deadbolt, took it back, and exchanged for the lever lock. The Schlage Z deadbolt seems like a useless concept (how is it helpful to know from 500 miles away if you forgot to throw the deadbolt before you left...?), but that's for another thread...

Chris

Comment

Keeper,

I have my Smartstick on the end of a 250' active USB 1.1 extender (bought 2 of them to use with a fingerprint reader...although looks like with Win7 there isn't working HS drivers...so I think this is a good re-use of the extender). I've only got the stick about 50' away, but the cable is all coiled up...so "electrically" I'm 250' away!

--Dan
          Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Working...
          X