No announcement yet.

PFSense Firewall Group purchase interest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There was some inter moderator guff when the community edition was released.

I did notice a serial number on the build that I do not remember seeing on earlier builds.

Personally looking to get fastest, most memory and features in a nano itx motherboard with 4 network ports best bang for the money target of around $100.

I used Smoothwall for many many years before switching over to PFSense.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
      Consider looking at the ubiquiti WAP if moving to a dedicated router. I have been using three for about 3 years and I just went to the AC model and get amazing speed and coverage. Really cheap for what you get.
      Is this the one you are referring to?

https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Netw...ds=ubiquiti+ac
      Michael

Comment

Pete,

You've apparently been using pfSense for some time. Couple of questions:

How often are new 'stable' versions released? Seems like with this being the keeper of the front door, I would want to stay really up to date. That is contrary to my normal approach to updates.

If you get a 'stable' version, does it generally run well without problems?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Rvtravlr View Post

That is the one I am using. It offered the best mix of 2.4 and 5ghz speed and range and it uses standard POE instead of the lower voltage of some of their other APs. If you don't have POE, it comes with an injector and power supply.
          HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
            That is the one I am using. It offered the best mix of 2.4 and 5ghz speed and range and it uses standard POE instead of the lower voltage of some of their other APs. If you don't have POE, it comes with an injector and power supply.
            Randy,

If I mount in on the ceiling on the first floor, middle of the house, should it reach the second floor? In other words, does it radiate 360*?
            Michael

Comment

This is the model I use, primarily because it uses the same mounting bracket at the original UAC model.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Randy,

If I mount in on the ceiling on the first floor, middle of the house, should it reach the second floor? In other words, does it radiate 360*?
                Yes. My primary AP is mounted vertically on a wall in the kitchen. We have a smallish house (ranch with basement) and the entire house, basement and most of the property is covered with the one.

This makes me think it radiates 360 on all planes. I'm sure there are some hot and cool spots, but there are none that I have found within the confines of the house.

Comment

Thank you Randy.
                  Michael

Comment

In case anyone wants to see the shape of the footprint: https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-...441732#M137487

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Randy,

I have mine mounted on the second floor ceiling. We have an open floor plan which helps also. I get decent coverage roughly 2 houses in all directions. It's the unit on the far right behind the fan.

Comment

Okay, so I ordered one of these access points but did not order the cloud key. I believe that I don't need it.

Thanks everyone!
                        Michael

Comment

Okay, so I ordered one of these access points but did not order the cloud key. I believe that I don't need it.

Thanks everyone!

That is probably a good thing. There are numerous ongoing and persistent issues with the cloud key and I would not recommend it for home users either as there is no real benefit to be gained.

Just download UniFi software and instal in any platform.

The information WRT Cloud key issues can be read https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-...992048#M238075

I have a full Ubiquiti deployment and 3 UniFi AC Pro and they are great. The only other home system I believe that comes close for distributed Wifi deployments in performance is Apple.

Comment

Thanks everyone!
                            I'm not using a cloud key. It is just the Ubiquiti software running on a dedicated device. I am running the controller software on my HS server. It works the same. The APs will work fine with or without a controller, but the controller software makes it easier to configure, update firmware, etc. The controller software also lets you see which devices are connected to which radio and much more. You can run it as a service under windows, on Linux or even on a Pi. The controller software can give much more data, but you would need a Ubiquiti firewall and all Ubiquiti switches.

Comment

How often are new 'stable' versions released?

I have not paid much attention this year as I see a tickle on the dashboard and update.

I have not had issues with the updates.

Before the Community release I was testing betas and sometimes I would have issues and have to do a few things hands on. Never had any issues using standard releases.

I would utilize the forum and always got help there.

Seems like with this being the keeper of the front door, I would want to stay really up to date. That is contrary to my normal approach to updates.

The updates do not happen automatically; you decide if you want to update.

That said you can read on the forum prior to updating if you want.

If you get a 'stable' version, does it generally run well without problems?

yes

BTW my username on the PFSense forum is Pete. Have a look at the forum which is ===> PFSense Forum

Most questions I asked about related to the NTP / PPS configuration I configured concurrent to PFSense integration of NTP use of GPS with PPS.
                              Last edited by Pete; July 13, 2017, 11:38 PM.
                              - Pete

Auto mator
                              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Thanks Pete.

In terms of updates, that logic seems reasonable. Looking forward to getting to know pfSense.

Robert

Comment

Working...
                                X