Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering Homeseer for New Construction

Hi-

I am just learning about HA and HS3. Building a fairly large house and I planned on using a PC with HS3 and a usb stick. Will have Z-wave + devices scattered throughout house. There will be ethernet drops throughout the house. I am concerned about the distance from the furthest device to the PC.

Question: is it advisable to have an ADDITIONAL hardware interface strategically placed so all z-wave devices can communicate with HS3? In other words, is there a repeater of some sort that I should be considering?

Thank you.

Originally posted by SANDYMAR View Post
    Hi-

I am just learning about HA and HS3. Building a fairly large house and I planned on using a PC with HS3 and a usb stick. Will have Z-wave + devices scattered throughout house. There will be ethernet drops throughout the house. I am concerned about the distance from the furthest device to the PC.

Question: is it advisable to have an ADDITIONAL hardware interface strategically placed so all z-wave devices can communicate with HS3? In other words, is there a repeater of some sort that I should be considering?

Thank you.
    From personal experience, I would recommend 1 or more Z+Nets instead of a USB controller. That allows the controller(s) to be put in optimal location(s) regardless of where your HS server is. They can be Ethernet or WiFi. I have one on Ethernet (primary) and a couple on WiFi (outbuildings) and they all remain reliably connected. This topology puts all nodes within 50 feet of a controller, most much closer than that.

All mains powered Z-Wave devices will act as a repeater, so you can just build out your network without additional repeaters.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Second That, znet is all you need. Devices do the repeating. Experience with 6500sf with no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

THANK YOU!

I am looking at homeseer wall dimmer and wonder if they fit properly with the Lutron Claro wallplates?

Comment

I am looking at homeseer wall dimmer and wonder if they fit properly with the Lutron Claro wallplates?
          cheeryfool

Comment

scripts written and available question

Thanks!

Now another newbie question: I am beginning to see how the HS3 program generally works by viewing videos, reading forums, etc. My question is: are there scripts available online to create common scenes so that one could modify rather than reinvent the wheel? (Or are they all so custom that it would not be reasonable?)

Comment

Thanks!

Now another newbie question: I am beginning to see how the HS3 program generally works by viewing videos, reading forums, etc. My question is: are there scripts available online to create common scenes so that one could modify rather than reinvent the wheel? (Or are they all so custom that it would not be reasonable?)
              Events (scenes) are typically very easy to create and are very custom. You should download a 30 day trial of HS3 on your PC and start playing. Once you under stand the basics it's very easy to create more complex events.
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

New HS3 trial

Thanks for your reply. Do you think it is reasonable to download and "try out" HS3 in my current home with no Z wave devices or just sit back, be patient, and wait until my new home is completed (with its new internet provider, IP address, installed Z wave devices)? (Sorry for the BASIC questions...!)

Comment

Thanks for your reply. Do you think it is reasonable to download and "try out" HS3 in my current home with no Z wave devices or just sit back, be patient, and wait until my new home is completed (with its new internet provider, IP address, installed Z wave devices)? (Sorry for the BASIC questions...!)
                  I'd go for the trial so you can play a bit. You could event try a few plugin modules to see how you like it.
                  💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Working...
                  X