Android phone as a modem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Android phone as a modem

Hi all, I have an older Samsung android phone lying around and was wondering if it would be possible to use it as a modem. Does anyone have any experience with this?
    I've tried the USB tethering option (connected to a Windows 7 PC) but it creates a virtual network card on the PC as opposed to a COM port.
    Is there an Android app that I can use to create a virtual COM port on the Windows PC?
    I understand that this can be done through bluetooth, but this particular phone does not support the serial port profile.

The plugin relies on the ability to create a serial port modem supporting the AT command set. If the phone creates a network card that's not going to work I'm afraid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Author of Highpeak Plugins | SMS-Gateway Plugin | Blue Iris Plugin | Paradox (Beta) Plugin | Modbus Plugin | Yamaha Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by beerygaz View Post
      The plugin relies on the ability to create a serial port modem supporting the AT command set. If the phone creates a network card that's not going to work I'm afraid.

Hi there,
      Yes that's my understanding from browsing the other posts in this forum. I did some more googling and I'm seeing info that suggests that android does not support AT commands, but I thought I'd ask the Homeseer community...

Comment

Actually if you are willing to mess around you probably can. I still have my AT&T line and a GSM phone I'm probably going to be doing just that with.

You can find some good info at:

https://jalalsela.wordpress.com/2015...d-at-commands/

http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...mands-t1471241

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8...-android-phone

Definitely not an easy out of the box solution but it is possible.

Comment

Thanks for the links but to be honest it's more work than I'd like to try
          I think I'll just pick up a cheap gsm modem for now.
          Cheers

Comment

If you get a modem, be sure to get one that supports your carrier's frequency band. Many of the cheap ones on eBay are 900/1800 only and that won't work in the US.

Author of Highpeak Plugins | SMS-Gateway Plugin | Blue Iris Plugin | Paradox (Beta) Plugin | Modbus Plugin | Yamaha Plugin

Comment

Yes totally aware of that but I definitely appreciate the advice! I just ordered a Huawei E173 modem from Amazon.ca (I'm in Canada) which seems to have the right specs to work with your plugin. As soon as I get it I'll let you know how it works out.
              Cheers

Comment

I just wanted to follow up on this. I finally received the Huawei E173 modem and it works great. I can send and receive messages using your plugin.
                The only trick was figuring out which COM port I needed to specify, since the modem presents 3 virtual ports to the OS. For the record, the right port is listed as "HUAWEI Mobile Connect - 3G PC UI Interface" in the device manager.
                This is on Windows 7 64-bit.

Comment

I'm glad it's working for you, this looks like a cheap solution and you could probably use the E173 for a backup data connection too.

Comment

I may have to fool around with this. The family is on AT&T while I am using Project Fi but I still have a line and extra phone on AT&T I don't even use. I may have to take the old Nexus 6 out of the box and start fooling with it.

Comment

Working...
                    X