MR26A on Zee S2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MR26A on Zee S2?

I'm thinking about going from HS1.7 to a Zee S2. The goal is to add some z-wave devices and retire the old power beast PC before it retires on it's own. I'm mostly X10, but I have a few motion sensors and use an MR26A for those. So, I'm wondering how much of my X10 world I can port over to the Zee S2. CM11A should work ok over a serial-usb adapter. But the hold out is the MR26A. I see some references here and there, but it's not clear if I can get the 26A to work easily...

Welcome to the Homeseer Forum Mark.

Used to use an MR26A with Homeseer 1 and 2. I recall modifying it to use with an external antenna at the time.

Over time switched over to the WGL W800 which I use today.

Thinking the back and forth chit chat of the MR26A is similar or the same as the W800.

While today all of my PIR sensors are wired to my Omni Pro 2 panel I still utilize wireless X10 stuff here.

The Omni Panel here talks X10, UPB, ZWave and Zigbee. Primary light switches have gone from X10 to Insteon to UPB.

Homeseer also talks X10, UPB and ZWave today.

Serial communications to a S2 or any Linux box is easy peasy. You can use a single USB to serial device or a Digi Edgeport USB to 4, 8, 16 serial device box which works just fine with Homeseer 3.

BTW there are Homeseer users here using Homeseer 1.7.

I would give it try with old MR26 A using current W800 drivers to see if it does work. I am guessing that it may work.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I was (still am) in the exact same situation. I was using HS 1.7 for years, then moved and wanted to incorporate Z-Wave and purchased a Zee S2.

HomeSeer 3 menus take a bit getting used to as the events and some device settings are nothing like HS 1.7.

Also, I knew little of Linux, so had that challenge as well.

I already had a W800 serial unit and used this USB to Serial adapter, and, with Pete's help have it working with the Zee S2. Now I can incorporate some of my DS10a and X-10 remotes along with the new Z-Wave devices.

The ZeeS2 incorporates Z-wave devies nicely and i have it working with a variety of switches, door/windows sensors, and motion sensors.

I use BLRF plugin and posted some serial port entry info in that forum FYI if you decide to go that route.

Luckily, people on this forum are very informative and I've used their expertise, especially with Linux issues, a lot.

One thing I really like about my current setup is how easy it is to incorporate another RaspberryPI using SPUD's plugin as a remote I/O device. I have my main unit in the house, and a 'remote' PI in the garage.
      --------------------------------------------------
      **** Do You "Cocoon"? ****

Comment

Thank you, gents.

I'm actually sort of 'returning'. I can't seem to find my old login, but I've been here on and off over the years, much more so when 1.7 was still prime time. The folks here are quite ingenious and helpful from past and current experience

Thanks for the hints on usb-serial adapters and mentioning the plugins. I see BLRF and some others in the zee subforum. I need to read up on what they bring to the party.

The purpose of a remote Pi is for z-wave coverage expansion or ?

Comment

The ZNet device is a self contained Ethernet ZWave controller. It uses a GPIO ZWave controller mounted inside of the RPi.

If you do POE power to it you can place it anywhere in your home. Optimally in the center of your home you will have best coverage of your Z-Wave devices.

Homeseer 3 added the ability of running Homeseer Plugins remotely talking your Homeseer mothership.

You can create an RPi with a CM11A connected to it and run the HS3 X10 plugin and have it connect to the Homeseer mothership.

That said you can utilize the RPi and run a serial (via sertonet) serial ethernet connection for remote controllers.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by g13092 View Post
            Thank you, gents.

I use that for remote digital input and outputs for the garage area. For instance, use it to monitor two regular doors, garage door, motion sensor, temp sensor as well as outputs to control garage door. Since all the wiring 'stays' in the garage and I already have network there, this made sense to place a Pi there for this purpose. With spud's plugin, these all show up as HomeSeer devices.
            --------------------------------------------------
            **** Do You "Cocoon"? ****

Comment

Working...
            X