Kinect plugin script examples

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kinect plugin script examples

I purchased the Kinect plugin last night. I had some trouble getting the SDK and drivers recognized by Windows Home Server but once they were working and the plugin installed everything worked great. I got a refurbished kinect 360 from Gamestop for $40 and had Kinect VR controlling the lights within 5 minutes. I'm not much of a scripter but there are some things that I know I need a script for. I would like to be able to control the volume on my Squeezebox radios (I already have the HS Squeezebox plugin working) and right now i am using multiple triggers to turn lights off and on. I would like to have a script that would include on and off in one script, things like that. Could anyone post any kinect plugin script examples that they think would be useful or that anyone just starting out with the Kinect plugin would find helpful? Thanks

Thank you for purchasing the plugin!

Did you try the latest version (3.0.0.18) available here. In this version you can attach a voice command to any HS device without using any event or script. That should eleiminate the need for scripting in a lot of cases.

I don't have squeezebox, but I guess the squeezebox plugin creates a device to control the volume. So, from the device management screen, click on that device then go to the kinect tab, then tick the "voice command enabled" checkbox, then enter a command to control the device.
    Have a look at the user guide for more details (section "device voice commands")

If you need any more help just let me know

Comment

Everything is working great. I have a Kinect attached to my HS server and another running remotely on a laptop in another room and another one still in the box. Events work as they should without scripting. Its just that I have two events for each lamp, one to turn it on and one to turn it off with Kinect VR. I just thought that with a script I could tell it to turn the lamps on or off by passing a variable to the recognition phrase (turn lamp on|off) instead of having two events for each lamp or device.

Comment

yes you can do that with a script, but as I said there is now a better way to do it, you can set the commands in the device configuration itself.

This way you need 0 event and 0 script

Click image for larger version

Name:	deviceonoff.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	1174594

I can still help you do the same thing with a script if you prefer but I don't really see the need for one.

Comment

I see what you mean now. But on the Kinect tab it is empty and says "Only devices that have controls can be assigned voice commands".

Comment

what kind of device is it? Can you post a screenshot of the status / graphics tab.

how do you control it from an event if this device doesn't have controls?

Comment

Nevermind, I'm an idiot. I was looking on the Kinect tab on the Kinect device tabs, not on the Lamp device tabs, It works just like you said (obviously). Thanks for the great plugin. This has completely changed how I do home automation.

Comment

Cool!

FYI, there is currently a bug with device configuration and multi instance plugins. http://www.homeseer.com/bugzilla//show_bug.cgi?id=1673
                So, if you use more than one kinect instance, this feature will only work with the first one (usually the instance without a name)

This bug should be fixed soon though.

Comment

Thanks, I was going crazy trying to get the second instance to work. I feel much better knowing it wasn't just me

Comment

Did the bug get fixed in the latest HS3 beta?

Comment

Originally posted by kideon View Post
                      Did the bug get fixed in the latest HS3 beta?
                      not completely, Rich is working on it, see this bugzilla ticket: http://bugzilla.homeseer.com/bugzill...ug.cgi?id=1673

I also have something to fix on the plugin side

Comment

Working...
                      X