Using Z-Stick Gen5 to import devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using Z-Stick Gen5 to import devices

I'm new to Homeseer, I'm still on my trial and I'm attempting to work out a few things, coming from Vera Plus, it's all very different.

I've purchased an Aeon Z-Stick Gen5 and set it up in Homeseer, that part was easy enough. I've used it with a few other softwares which I'm trailing too, I love the idea of being able to take the stick to the Z-Wave device's location instead of having o try and setup the wave device near the controller.

On all the other software I've tried so far, I include the device using the stick, put the stick back in the machine and import the devices into the software. However, with Homeseer this fails with the following errors

Code:
    Loading network information from your Z-Wave interface...
    Done.
    Synchronizing network information against HomeSeer devices...
    Getting Z-Wave node list for network E3212BB9...
    Found 2 Z-Wave nodes
    Syncing Z-Wave nodes with device list...
    Synchronize nodes finished. Number of device nodes to be created/added = 0
    Negotiating or Verifying SECURITY SCHEME for node 5
    Warning: Failed to get a SECURITY SCHEME or verify the key from node 5. Device may not be added properly to HomeSeer.
    Warning: The security device may have a timeout when adding to the network, bring the device close to HomeSeer and use the Add Node button to add it (remove it first)
    Warning: If this device was previously added to the network, the device may need to be removed from the network and re-added.
    Warning: In case the device was previously added successfully, an attempt will be made to continue the import.
    Getting SECURITY class information for node 5
    Error: Security class information is NOT present - cannot continue loading node 5
    Warning: The device at node 5 should result in 3 child devices being created, but the node interrogation currently has 0. This may still result in a successful child creation.
    Finished with Z-Wave device synchronization.
    The device then does not work, This isn't a problem in other software, the device that gets imported with the others works as expected.

If I us ether stick in the computer and select Add/Include node from the Wave menu, it adds the device fine, but this is of no use for the Z-Wave devices that are already in place a distance away from the computer with the z-stick.

This is obviously a big issue when transferring from one controller to a new one, what am I doing wrong? How can I fix the issue?

I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong, it works in other software so I have no doubt Homeseer can do it, it's probably just me doing something incorrectly.

Any suggestions on how to get tai to work please?

Unfortunately an all too common problem with the Z-Stick when combined with Homeseer. Spent a lot of time trying to use a Z-Stick with Homeseer and finally gave up because of too many issues like these. You can't really tell what is going on during the import by just the blinking light in the stick which negates any benefit of having a portable device.

For me, it ended up being easier to just put my Z-Net or Zee-S2 on a battery pack and haul it to the device and use either a tablet or Z-Tool to do the import / export so I could see what was actually going on. This probably won't work if you are using a regular PC, though.

I have three of the Gen 5 Z-Sticks and all of them did the exact same thing. They have all since been retired to the unused Z-Wave device drawer.

Comment

I've just tried using the z-stick with indigo. Much better!
      Another thing I did was import my Vera network to the stick by using the receive network from another controller option. It brought in the devices from my Vera just fine but they don't update when the physical switch is used. Put the stick in the indigo and they work fine... I know homeseer is supposed to be the most powerful but it's looking pretty limp for some things so far....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It's limp because Homeseer has no real functionality for integration from other HA systems. You would be fine if you started from scratch but appreciate that could be a lot of work.
        Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
          It's limp because Homeseer has no real functionality for integration from other HA systems. You would be fine if you started from scratch but appreciate that could be a lot of work.
          It has lots of problems even starting from scratch IMHO. Lots and lots of bugs and virtually nothing ever gets addressed. Great 3rd party support, though. Lots of excellent plug-in writers make putting up with the issues a little easier to take.

Still wouldn't go back to Vera if you paid me - I just wish Homeseer was more attentive to the issues that people report.

Comment

Originally posted by bebaldin View Post
            It has lots of problems even starting from scratch IMHO. Lots and lots of bugs and virtually nothing ever gets addressed. Great 3rd party support, though. Lots of excellent plug-in writers make putting up with the issues a little easier to take.

Still wouldn't go back to Vera if you paid me - I just wish Homeseer was more attentive to the issues that people report.

So far I have my Vera pretty stable and with the plugins I have it does everything, my most used plugin being the rules engine. What I really wanted was to just reduce the number of separate systems I have.

I have an i7 Mac mini server running 24/7 for cameras and Alexa / HomeKit integration so it made sense to have it running the automation too.

So far Homeseer is the one I've had the most issues with, all the other software seems to import the devices from the stick without issue. it also seems that all the plugins are at least $30 to do what is done for free on the other systems. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to pay to aid development but so far I've not seen the benefit of the outlay that would be required...

Are you all running on windows? Is it less hassle on windows or just as bad? I've contemplated changing my server to run windows, all the software I run has Mac and windows versions so I'd be able to run just the same stuff if I swapped it to windows.

Comment

Originally posted by CelticWebs View Post
              So far I have my Vera pretty stable and with the plugins I have it does everything, my most used plugin being the rules engine. What I really wanted was to just reduce the number of separate systems I have.

I have an i7 Mac mini server running 24/7 for cameras and Alexa / HomeKit integration so it made sense to have it running the automation too.

So far Homeseer is the one I've had the most issues with, all the other software seems to import the devices from the stick without issue. it also seems that all the plugins are at least $30 to do what is done for free on the other systems. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to pay to aid development but so far I've not seen the benefit of the outlay that would be required...

Are you all running on windows? Is it less hassle on windows or just as bad? I've contemplated changing my server to run windows, all the software I run has Mac and windows versions so I'd be able to run just the same stuff if I swapped it to windows.

No - I run a Zee-S2 and three Z-Nets (Linux) on four separate home IDs. I decided to go Linux because I didn't like having a full PC dedicated to Z-Wave when I could run something that consumed 5w. I had hoped that Linux and Homeseer would be a rock solid combo, but HS hasn't lived up to the task.

Vera seemed to control OK but I found their hardware to be unreliable and their firmware upgrades to be a nightmare. I really hated the UI7 interface, too, and resisted moving from UI5 until a lack of device support forced my hand. I had three Veras fail in a little over a year (all Z-wave radio failures) and I finally threw in the towel.

Tried InControl (now Axial) with a Z-Stick on a PC for a while, and it worked OK, but device support was definitely a problem. It seemed to be far less susceptible to db corruption though, and worked well with what it could identify correctly. Very small community and not much third party support, though.

Homeseer is the best of the three for me (so far), but lack of customer support is a real issue that isn't being addressed. For as expensive as HS is, I expect better than we get.

Comment

Working...
              X