Where to start with voice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to start with voice

I would like the system to make simple announcements, such as "Hot tub is ready" or "Batteries are charged". Not sure where to start.

What is the lowest cost hardware for voice? Like free?

Can I use an old Android cell phone logged into my wifi? (no sim card).

Can I have my computer (Macbook pro), when attached to local wifi, announce?

I have the Hometroller SEL Pro, which I don't think has voice. Not interested in music (Pandora, etc.). I absolutely do not want something that has to connect the internet (Alexa, etc.), must be local only! (very poor to no internet at location)

Bump. Nobody has any ideas? Really?

What about some cheap devices, then.

Comment

I would like the system to make simple announcements, such as "Hot tub is ready" or "Batteries are charged". Not sure where to start.

Current computers or laptops on the network. Just install speaker clients to connect.

Can I use an old Android cell phone logged into my wifi? (no sim card). That works with HSTouch.

Can I have my computer (Macbook pro), when attached to local wifi, announce? If it runs Windows or Linux you can install the HS3 speaker client.

I have the Hometroller SEL Pro, which I don't think has voice. Not interested in music (Pandora, etc.). I absolutely do not want something that has to connect the internet (Alexa, etc.), must be local only! (very poor to no internet at location)

~Bill

Comment

Today using same SAPI Text to Speech that I used with Homeseer 1 and Homeseer 2. Microsoft SAPI speaker has always been part of Homeseer.

Whole house audio started here with an AB8SS 8 port serial / X10 / IR box connected to an amplifier. Over the years added zoned audio with Russound (keypads et al).

Today running Homeseer 3 on Linux and have one Oracle Virtual box on the same Linux box running multiple instances of speaker dot exe along with multiple speech fonts.

I have configured an automators mac to run a Wintel VB and it worked just fine.

Microsoft SAPI today here is working well here as it always has worked.

There are a few Homeseer users here today still using old mobile phones without SIM cards as remote HSTouch devices with speech.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I use the amphony transmitters and receivers. A single transmitter can send audio to up to 4 receivers. I connect the output to a simple computer speaker system. You could connect it to a stereo also. The input to the transmitter comes from the headphone jack on my laptop. See this post.

https://forums.homeseer.com/showpost...07&postcount=1

Transmitter: http://www.amphony.com/cart/index.ph...products_id=67
          Receiver (up to 4 per transmitter): http://www.amphony.com/cart/index.ph...products_id=68
          Last edited by cowinger; June 15, 2018, 03:19 PM.

Comment

For announcements I would use HSTouch on Tablets (used). I don't do announcements as I probably wouldn't be paying attention anyways, and would never know what it said. For weather I have a HSTouch screen showing the high forecast in the bathroom for a week. I did set up Cortana/kinect plug in in the living room, and I have her doing activity selection on AV EQ. So, what do you plan on announcing?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

How is your Cortana / Kinect doing in the living room?

Do you have an Amazon Echo and have you compared the Echo to the Cortana / Kinect relating to automation commands?
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I just use her for activity selection, lights control, just in the living room where i'm only about 8 feet away. Getting out of the living room i'm too far away. It's on my to-do list to put another one in the kitchen see how it goes. So with that said, the Mic array in Alexa or Google Home is definitely by magnitudes better (from reports of people whispering from across the house and triggering the commands). I had to take the room off command away from her as the explosions from video games would trigger the room off command. She would just think she heard it I guess. I've likened her to the last couple of HALO games where she was insane. ;-) But, installing a cloud based AI thing is not on my to-do list.

Comment

Thank you tome10.

Yup here only tested the Kinect on a 15" wide screen open frame multitouch monitor connected to a PipoX7 running multiple applications (and HSTouch). Worked well but I was 2-3 feet away from the Kinect. Only thing was how to mount the concoction on a wall.
                  - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Bill, I don't see where I get a speaker client to install. Can you point to either an Android or Mac to install. Thanks!

I have HSTouch installed on my cell, but do not see any option for activating or installing "speaker". This link https://www.homeseer.com/support/hom...rapp_about.htm seems to be about installing speaker on the Homeseer computer itself, and not on any client. The HS Troller SEL does not have a physical speaker, AFAIK, so how would that help me?

Originally posted by Bill Brower View Post

Current computers or laptops on the network. Just install speaker clients to connect.

Can I use an old Android cell phone logged into my wifi? (no sim card). That works with HSTouch.

Can I have my computer (Macbook pro), when attached to local wifi, announce? If it runs Windows or Linux you can install the HS3 speaker client.

Comment

There is only a speaker dot exe client for Windows computers.

The Homeseer Touch client is the speaker client for speech sourced at the mothership.

The Homeseer Touch client plays back a Homeseer generated wave file generated by the mothership.

The touch clients come with the HSDesigner package. It is too in the Google store for Android. Not sure about Apple.
                      - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                      X