OP2 Microrouter Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OP2 Microrouter Installation

Just a side note relating to the use of the microrouter.

I am currently using OpenWRT on this device. It is a cheapo router priced at $15-$20. It has no memory and a slow CPU (single threaded up to 800Mhz).

It is a Nexx WT3020 which is smaller than the current crop of microrouters similar and tested with TP-Link

[ATTACH]62599[/ATTACH]

Specs on the Nexx microrouter are:

Here is a picture of the microrouter mounted inside of the HAI can. I was using a 12VDC to 5VDC power adapter to take the power from the HAI Panel and recently switched over to using a TP-Link POE splitter.

[ATTACH]62600[/ATTACH]

I was looking for a microrouter with better specifications and have purchased the GLiNet microrouter with a faster CPU and more RAM (play space) but is is larger than the Nexx. For this endeavor went to a MFG and a new smaller than the Nexx router design except that it had an RTC and no wireless interface.

Well that and the only market would be OmniPro users such that it really wouldn't be worth the effort.

I cannot run Homeseer 3 lite on this device as it doesn't have the CPU / memory to do very much.

I am sniffing the network transport to watch what hits the network interface on the OP2 panel.

Historically the reason for the installation was to filter all of the network stuff from the OmniPro 2 panel's promiscuous NIC.

Here on the Omni Side network using OmniTouch 5.7e's and CCTV cameras plus Rob's plugin and the HAILogger program.

On the serial side of the OmniPro using Omnitouch 5.7's and one keypad (wife's preference), Omnistat, Russound, X10, UPB, Zigbee and ZWave.

Such that the implementation of the use of the microrouter is filtering network communications and diagnostic in nature just to the network.

It is not a management device rather just a router.

Here my panel is a bit crowded.

Ideally it would be nice to run Rob's plugin / HS3 / firewall on a better RPi. There is none today. I am looking at maybe putting a second NIC interface on the the Rock 64 computer. This will have a base of 4Gb of RAM and EMMC style built in drive, run Ubuntu 64 bit rather than Jessie.

You could then multipurpose this device and fit it inside of the OmniPro 2 can. It would serve as a HS3 and Firewall mini box inside of the OmniPro2 can and serve to update the OmniPro 2 combination security/automation box. OpenWRT would run on this device too. AND a possibility of an Oracle W 7 embedded virtual box. With W7 embedded running in a VB you could then run PCA, speaker dot exe and maybe HS3 Standard. Note too that 4 Gb of RAM might not be sufficient for this stuff.

Today running 4 instances of speaker dot exe on a W7 32 bit VB on the main mothership. Tested remote via Oracle and it works fine.

Note that this device is smaller than an RPI. The Pine64 / 2gb computer was a nice build but lacked video stuff for Kodi.
    This device would also be a nice and small Kodi box (and run circles around anything available today).

Here I have repurposed the old RPi's and moved HS3 Zee2 OS to using the Pine64/2gb and or MiniCube Xi5a dual core AMD computer.

[ATTACH]62592[/ATTACH]

Specifications:
    • HDMI 2.0a port with support for 4K/60 Hz video output
    • composite video port
    • Gigabit Ethernet
    • USB 3.0 port
    • USB 2.0 ports(2),
    • 40-pin
    • 22-pin connectors
    • microSD card slot

Base price $25.

Optional adds:
    • 32Gb eMMC card (which is better than an SD card)
    • 4 Gb RAM
    • USB3 NIC

Power draw with options would be around 3AMPs and not coming from the panel rather it would be a POE type of connection.

With this device and RAM you can run Homeseer 3 lite in Ubuntu 64 bit and inside of the OmniPro 2 can.

Note the credit card size of this device versus the standard RPi size.

This is a related to using the OmniPro 2 in the stock media container.

You can mount the OmniPro2 in a larger can which might work better.
    Last edited by Pete; August 2, 2017, 04:02 PM.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant
Working...
X