PFSense Firewall Group purchase interest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PFSense Firewall Group purchase interest

Just a post to see about interest relating to a group purchase of a nano itx 4 port mini PC to be utilized for PFSense.

[ATTACH]62232[/ATTACH]

Depending on interest and numbers I will try to get the device for closer to $100 if possible.

Many years ago (well over 10 years ago) did something similar here on Homeseer relating to purchasing some barebones mini PCs.

This deal will only be for Homeseer / Cocoontech forum users and only related to PFSense.

I am seeing the prices for almost the same nano itx computers all over the place.

To increase the numbers may duplicate this post on Cocoontech.

May prewrite the PFSense OS image on the SSD cards in bulk....you will need to configure it and register it on first boot.

Such that the specs would be something like this:

J1900 CPU
    RAM: 8Gb
    NIC Gb Ports: 4
    SSD: 32Gb

A 9 PIN RS-232 serial port is utilized here for the NTP/PPS server.

[ATTACH]62233[/ATTACH]

There are others with an RJ-45 console port. Looks like the footprint is bit larger.

Personally wanting the smallest one possible such that I can fit it inside of my Leviton can.

Currently doing my network here a la carte with an

ISP modem (x2 for failover) ==> Firewall ==> GB managed switch(s) ==> POE AP (2nd floor balcony ceiling)

Tentative list of interested folks.

1 - langenet
    2 - pete
    3 - rmasonjr
    4 - jello4
    5 - bjm2020
    6 - rprade
    7 - pete
    8 - pete
    9 - spike5884bjm2020
    10 - JGary
    11 - MStan
    12 - brientim
    13 - jimatbeersman.com
    14 - cjohlandt
    15 - cjin
    16 - ckellyusa
    17 - Blade
    18 - Teken
    19 - facke02
    20 - redthebartender
    21 - redthebartender
    22 - DaveW32
    23 - WayneW
    24 - usLEDsupply
    25 - denisl
    ==========
    28th of January, 2018 Total interested = 25
    Last edited by Pete; January 28, 2018, 04:49 PM.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

I'd be interested. The only issue as of today is that I have no idea on installing/running/setting up PFSense. So if you could pre-write PFSense that would help immensely.
    Currently I'm looking at the SG-1000 only because it's pre-installed/configured etc. I'm sure I could get there (install/setup) but have yet ventured there.
    Like you, I'm looking for the smallest footprint...and lowest power consumption.

I did certify as a Cisco CCNP years ago so am not totally blind with any of this.

Robert
    HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

I'd be interested too Pete if you can get the cost down.

Comment

Count me in, Pete...

I recently installed a Pi-Hole on my home network and the results are outstanding. No more wasted bandwidth on ads! The family has also noticed no ads on their mobile devices while on wifi.

I also have 2 Netgear R7000 routers that have the stock firmware. The DHCP on these routers are horrible. I am still using my older e2000 router running DD-WRT and the DHCP is rock solid, but the router is getting old.

My main reason for wanting pfSense is DHCP and use the R7000 as access points only.
        HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
        54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
        Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
          Count me in, Pete...

I recently installed a Pi-Hole on my home network and the results are outstanding. No more wasted bandwidth on ads! The family has also noticed no ads on their mobile devices while on wifi.

I also have 2 Netgear R7000 routers that have the stock firmware. The DHCP on these routers are horrible. I am still using my older e2000 router running DD-WRT and the DHCP is rock solid, but the router is getting old.

My main reason for wanting pfSense is DHCP and use the R7000 as access points only.

Consider looking at the ubiquiti WAP if moving to a dedicated router. I have been using three for about 3 years and I just went to the AC model and get amazing speed and coverage. Really cheap for what you get.

Comment

Pete, thanks for initiating a possible group purchase. I would be interested as well.

Comment

Pete, I am interested.

Thanks,
              Michael

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
                I'd be interested. The only issue as of today is that I have no idea on installing/running/setting up PFSense. So if you could pre-write PFSense that would help immensely.

Currently I'm looking at the SG-1000 only because it's pre-installed/configured etc. I'm sure I could get there (install/setup) but have yet ventured there.

Like you, I'm looking for the smallest footprint...and lowest power consumption.

I did certify as a Cisco CCNP years ago so am not totally blind with any of this.

Robert

PFSense is pretty easy to install, put the install on a USB thumb drive, boot to thumb drive. After install your basic setup will be in a terminal (VLANS, ip, etc) then everything else is from the GUI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Over the years on Cocoontech have written about PFSense.

For here on the Homeseer forum will do a DIY help post on configuring PFSense.

Installing it is plug n play.

Will try a direct vendor purchase for group buy.

If I install the base of PFSense on the 32Gb SSD then the user will just need to configure it which takes about 5 minutes.

For non play WAP here utilize Ubiquiti.

For tinkering WAP's here have been using mini cheap travel routers with OpenWRT. (these typically go for around $20)

Newest one that I am playing with is a GliNet. Fast CPU and much play space today. Thinking maybe of making one a lightning sensor.

GL.iNet GL-AR300M Mini Travel Router with 2dbi external antenna, Wi-Fi Converter, OpenWrt Pre-installed, Repeater Bridge, 300Mbps High Performance, 128MB Nand flash, 128MB RAM, OpenVPN, Tor Compatible

[ATTACH]62237[/ATTACH]

I have a smaller NeXX mini router inside of the OmniPro2 panel.
                  Last edited by Pete; July 13, 2017, 09:42 AM.
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
                    Consider looking at the ubiquiti WAP if moving to a dedicated router. I have been using three for about 3 years and I just went to the AC model and get amazing speed and coverage. Really cheap for what you get.
                    +1 on the Ubiquiti. Demonstrably and consistently faster than my R7000, which was very good. Better range, easier configuration. I can stream different FLAC audio to multiple devices in my Sonos system without a hiccup, which my R7000 couldn't do. I can watch a Blu-ray ISO over WiFi on my laptop, something that would cause the R7000 to flake out. Love 'em.
                    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Pete;

I would be interested in one or two, depending on the price. If it could be near $100 definitely two. You pictured two models, my preference would be VGA video to HDMI, though an adaptor is only about $9.

Comment

Pete

I would be interested too

Cheers
                        James
                        cheeryfool

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post

Robert
                          Setting it up is a breeze. I'm a dummy and had it running in 10 minutes and mostly configured in 30. A friend who is an "expert" couldn't get it working.

The SG-1000 will consume about half the energy that the device in this thread will. At current energy costs a watt is roughly $1 per year, so the energy savings would be $4-5 per year. It also comes with a year of pfSense Gold support. My primary concern with that device was if it had enough processing power to support a few packages and occasional high internet traffic.

Comment

Randy,

Yes, the processing power is one consideration I wonder about with the SG-1000. The Gold support is also an incentive - though, I'm not overly sure what that gets me.
                            I do what I can to reduce power consumption in my house, however, this hobby seems to add up the watts as I grow...

Sounds easy enough to get going. BTW, I doubt very much you're a dummy... thanks just the same.

Robert
                            HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Thanks guys...will update a list of interested folks in the OP.

@randy - yes looking for smallest footprint. The one with the RS-232 port is too big. It is the same size as the one with an RJ-45 console port.

Thinking we are OK with base of:

CPU, memory, SSD and 4 NIC ports.

Thinking most of the nano 4 port motherboards have some sort of serial pins for serial in/out.

BTW have tried PFSense with APC, Tripplite, CyberPower USB UPS's and it works well.

There are two UPS plugins for PFSense - NUT and APC.
                              Last edited by Pete; July 13, 2017, 10:48 AM.
                              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                              X