Dahua PoE Camera Comparison 2 MP vs 4MP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dahua PoE Camera Comparison 2 MP vs 4MP

While this forum typically talks about software issues I don't see much talk or sharing of camera images for comparions.

I'm testing a few Cameras to prepare to setup several around the house. I'm considering Dahua and Hikvision.

I wanted to share a few screen shots from both Daylight and night time of Dahua camera's. All three are PoE powered thru a Ubiquity Switch. I'm running Dahua's SMARTPSS software to collect pictures.

===================================================

Camera 1 Dahua model DH-SD22204T-GN PTZ 2 MP no IR

Camera 2 Dahua model HFW1420 Bullet Camera 4 MP with IR

Camera 3 Dahua Model IPC-HFW4431R-Z Bullet Camera 4 MP with IR

====================================================

This is all on the same day within a few minutes of taking screen shots. Overcast sky 3:30 PM in the afternoon

I'm kinda of surprised this Dome PTZ 2MP camera appears to have better images than camera 2 & 3 other 4MP cameras. I went thru every setting first to see if they matched each other, second I tried changing settings to see if the images of camera 2 & 3 got better. They didn't improve..

Click image for larger version

Name:	Daylight 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	1211608

Name:	Daylight 2.jpg
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	1211609

Name:	Daylight 3.jpg
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	1211610

Next I will post some Night shots and

Devoir
    Last edited by devoir; November 16, 2017, 11:24 PM.

Dahua Camera Night comparison 2MP vs 4 MP

November 16 about 6:30 PM in the evening. I wanted to test the night time situations

Camera 1 Dahua model DH-SD22204T-GN* PTZ 2 MP no IR

Camera 2 Dahua model* HF@1420 Bullet Camera 4 MP with IR ON

Camera 3 Dahua Model IPC-HFW4431R-Z* Bullet Camera 4 MP with IR OFF

Aux IR Flood Light turned off
    Garage Carriage Light Off
    Backyard Flood Light Off
    Fence Lights ON

Camera 1 Dahua model DH-SD22204T-GN* PTZ 2 MP no IR

Note Camera 2 has it's IR turned on to illuminate the area all other sources of IR are turned off. I wanted to see how the cameras would do with only one source of IR

Again what's interesting to note is Camera 1 a 2MP camera appears to have a better image than the 4 MP of camera 2 & 3. However Camera 1 without IR is at a disadvantage with out a source of illumination as a Flood Light or a IR Flood Light source.

Name:	Night 1.jpg
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	1193083

Camera 2 Dahua model* HF@1420 Bullet Camera 4 MP with IR ON

Name:	Night 2.jpg
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	1193084

Camera 3 Dahua Model IPC-HFW4431R-Z* Bullet Camera 4 MP with IR OFF

Name:	Night 3.jpg
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	1193085

Please Note I am posting this only to share no any other reason than that.

I wanted to test a few units before I purchased several...... and see if anyone else had suggestions

Devoir
    Last edited by devoir; November 16, 2017, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by devoir View Post
      While this forum typically talks about software issues I don't see much talk or sharing of camera images for comparions.

I'm testing a few Cameras to prepare to setup several around the house. I'm considering Dahua and Hikvision.

I'm kinda of surprised this Dome PTZ 2MP camera appears to have better images than camera 2 & 3 other 4MP cameras. I went thru every setting first to see if they matched each other, second I tried changing settings to see if the images of camera 2 & 3 got better. They didn't improve..
      Devoir
      I have 2 of the DH-SD22204T-GN's and like them - decent picture and they do well at night by use of other cameras IR that are shining on a particular area. Am considering some external IR illumination.

Comment

External IR

I purchased an inexpensive IR light to illuminate the area. The premise is to move the IR away from the camera. Bugs and flying insects go to the IR light. Otherwise Spiders setup shop in front of your IR Camera for free meals and put up fences all over the camera lens.....

Devoir

Comment

Regarding Dahua vs. Hikvision, I was trying to make the same choice. I tried 2 Dahuas and 2 Hikvisions, 2 and 3 MP. The images from both brands were comparable to me. The distinction came in the software/firmware. One Dahua got bricked trying to update firmware, and the other Dahua just quit working after a matter of months. I also had a hard time getting help with my Dahuas. Both Hikvisions are still in service. My experience could be a "just me" situation, but I'm sticking with Hikvision.
          Mark

Comment

2 MP vs 4MP

I was surprised about the 2 MP vs 4 MP cameras not showing a significant improvement in their images......

Can anyone shed light on this discrepancy ???? Since these were from the same manufacturer I would have thought I will have seen a significant difference in the image quality

Devoir

Comment

I have a third Dahua IP Cam that just recently got a firmware update. It is also a 2 MP but it made a huge difference in picture quality.
              SD42212T-HN
              Software Version
              2.600.0000.0.R.T4.1216.3N.NR, Build Date: 2017-06-01

Comment

I have a few Dahua 2MP bullet cams (not installed yet in my new house), but my recollection is that their image quality is better than the 4MP images posted above. Not sure if there were other tradeoffs made in design to account for the 4MP sensor

About the cam above that was bricked in a firmware upgrade, mine came with a warning not to upgrade them or they might "become Chinese or bad." IMO most of these cameras sold in the US are Chinese grey market so you have to be careful. It's hard to find true US cams from this company.
                HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
                Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
                Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
                Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

I have had good luck direct via
                  http://www.cctv-mall.com/

always english firmware.

Comment

Working...
                  X