www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > HomeSeer Products & Services > HomeSeer General Discussion Area

HomeSeer General Discussion Area General discussion about HomeSeer that does not fall into any other category or are not specific to 1.x or 2.x versions of HomeSeer.

Old October 28th, 2017, 10:23 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerfern View Post
Cool. My display looks like yours.

I understand one press and two press, but I don't see how key released would work as you eventually have to let go of a key.

Also key press and hold and eventually release seems to yield two codes. This has potential but is also a bit confusing. Do you see this, @cowinger?

It also seems there are four functions for each key making 32 possibilities.
While I was never able to get mine working without pressing a key to wake it up, the function of all 8 keys is similar to a HomeSeer switch.

Press once or twice and you will get the appropriate scenes. Key released is only after a press and hold. Another unique aspect of the press and hold is it is the only scene that is active only when you are holding the key, when it is released it will change to key released. Single press and double press scenes will remain until another scene is triggered.

"Do or do not, there is no try"
-Yoda

PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino
Old October 29th, 2017, 02:44 AM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprade View Post
While I was never able to get mine working without pressing a key to wake it up, the function of all 8 keys is similar to a HomeSeer switch.

Press once or twice and you will get the appropriate scenes. Key released is only after a press and hold. Another unique aspect of the press and hold is it is the only scene that is active only when you are holding the key, when it is released it will change to key released. Single press and double press scenes will remain until another scene is triggered.
I guess I should have searched and read before buying one of these. I have been watching to get one cheaper and finally did. . .

I added it like I have with minimotes for years. . .and I got the two devices, but no device status changes like the minimote. I see the changes in the log, but not in the device status itself. . .I saw this get officially listed in the ZWave release notes, so I thought it would be good now. . .
Old October 29th, 2017, 06:52 AM
Seer Master

@Randy, Thanks.

Oct-29 05:34:33 Z-Wave Device: Node 17 Z-Wave Central Scene Set to 7003 press button 7 twice
Oct-29 05:34:27 Z-Wave Device: Node 17 Z-Wave Central Scene Set to 7000 press button 7 one time
Oct-29 05:34:12 Z-Wave Device: Node 17 Z-Wave Central Scene Set to 7001 release button 7
Oct-29 05:33:53 Z-Wave Device: Node 17 Z-Wave Central Scene Set to 7002 hold button 7

I do get four different codes although at this point there appears to be a four or five second delay from the moment of key press until it registers in the log, though that may be of the hops required. I'll keep playing with it. Another forum mentioned a delay possibly because the unit is waiting to see if you press a button the second time but according to the manual that should only be about a one second delay.

So if you need temporary activation, press and hold, then release to deactivate, got it. If you're at 50% on a light, pressing and holding could either dim up or down. You would have to release and press/hold again depending on what you are trying to accomplish. That's like my old X10 dimmers where only half the paddle actually did anything. I don't care for that, oh well.
Old October 29th, 2017, 10:59 AM
Seer Master

@cowinger - I've attached events to some buttons and all is well.

I can actually have one button control both on and off functions (open/close garage door) via just one button press and two events.

However, to execute a scene it appears I would have to add the ZRC as a secondary controller. Would I then lose my buttons that execute events?

Does anyone have this setup for scenes? or better yet scenes and events?

One more note: If for example I press key 5 once and then I press it again, it does not register the second time even though I have the "Do not update ..." box unchecked.

Does anyone know of parameters that can be set?

Last edited by racerfern; October 29th, 2017 at 11:13 AM. Reason: add
Old October 29th, 2017, 11:46 AM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Cool. My display looks like yours.

I understand one press and two press, but I don't see how key released would work as you eventually have to let go of a key.

Also key press and hold and eventually release seems to yield two codes. This has potential but is also a bit confusing. Do you see this, @cowinger?

It also seems there are four functions for each key making 32 possibilities.
Yes, that is exactly what I see in mine. I agree the key released is weird along with press and hold. But is does yield 32 key possibilities as you said.

The only other thing that I noticed is that you will only get a battery report if and when you press a key.
Old October 29th, 2017, 11:59 AM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
@cowinger - I've attached events to some buttons and all is well.

I can actually have one button control both on and off functions (open/close garage door) via just one button press and two events.

However, to execute a scene it appears I would have to add the ZRC as a secondary controller. Would I then lose my buttons that execute events?

Does anyone have this setup for scenes? or better yet scenes and events?

One more note: If for example I press key 5 once and then I press it again, it does not register the second time even though I have the "Do not update ..." box unchecked.

Does anyone know of parameters that can be set?
I can't answer about using scenes because I don't use them. Someone else will have to do that. As far as using an event for the garage door, I do that also, I utilize easytrigger and it allows you to toggle and only use one event.
As far as the button not registering a second time it actually does and you have to observe the time and it will update each time you press it. Press a key, wait a couple seconds, press again and the time advances.
I don't know of any parameters that can be set.
Old October 29th, 2017, 12:36 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowinger View Post
I can't answer about using scenes because I don't use them. Someone else will have to do that. As far as using an event for the garage door, I do that also, I utilize easytrigger and it allows you to toggle and only use one event.
As far as the button not registering a second time it actually does and you have to observe the time and it will update each time you press it. Press a key, wait a couple seconds, press again and the time advances.
I don't know of any parameters that can be set.
Are you seeing updates on the device or just in the log?
Old October 29th, 2017, 01:03 PM
Seer Master

@cowinger and @TechFan - For me, the device shows it being pressed a few seconds later but there is no evidence of that happening in the log.

Hence, my two events tied to one key press do not work unless I press a different button in-between.
Old October 29th, 2017, 01:04 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechFan View Post
Are you seeing updates on the device or just in the log?
I also get the following statements in the log.

Device: Main Living Room Living Room South to On (100) by/from: CAPI Control Handler
Device: Main Living Room Living Room North to On (100) by/from: CAPI Control Handler
Event Trigger "ZRC-90US Scene Controller Keypad ZRC-90US Button 1 - Living Room Lights"
Old October 29th, 2017, 01:08 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
@cowinger and @TechFan - For me, the device shows it being pressed a few seconds later but there is no evidence of that happening in the log.

Hence, my two events tied to one key press do not work unless I press a different button in-between.
Select "ZRC-90US Central Scene" and uncheck the box that reads:
Do not update device last change time
if device value does not change:
Old October 29th, 2017, 01:19 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowinger View Post
I didn't get a central scene. Just battery device and Remotetec Generic Controller.
Old October 29th, 2017, 01:21 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
I confirmed in an earlier post that it is unchecked; it's unchecked for all three. I also restarted HS3, same result.

I am not using Easytrigger...yet, I just have two events.

Here is my log entry:

Oct-29 13:15:33 Z-Wave Device: Doors Garage Garage Door Set to Open
Oct-29 13:15:28 Z-Wave Device: Doors Garage Garage Door Set to Opening
Oct-29 13:15:23 MC SpeakIn called for Device = 0, Text = Garage Door is closed. I'm opening the garage door., Wait=True, Host = kitchen Home:*
Oct-29 13:15:23 TTS Speak: (kitchen Home:*):Garage Door is closed. I'm opening the garage door.
Oct-29 13:15:23 Device Control Device: Doors Garage Garage Door to Open (255)
Oct-29 13:15:23 Event Event Trigger "ZRC Group 1-1 Open Garage Door"
Oct-29 13:15:23 Z-Wave Device: Node 17 Z-Wave Remotec Central Scene Set to 1000
Old October 29th, 2017, 01:25 PM
Seer Master

And here are the two events that should work with just one key press
Attached Images

Old October 29th, 2017, 02:00 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
And here are the two events that should work with just one key press
Change the Trigger to “This Device had its value set to” instead of “ changes and becomes”. When you press the same button on a remote a second time the value is “ set” but not “ changed”.
Old October 29th, 2017, 02:09 PM
Seer Master

As always, @rprade, THANK YOU!

I am curious why z-net/HS3 sees the same button press more than once but it doesn't show in the log. It appears there's an allowance for this with the event structure but shouldn't the log show something like this without going into some debug mode?
Old October 29th, 2017, 02:15 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
As always, @rprade, THANK YOU!

I am curious why z-net/HS3 sees the same button press more than once but it doesn't show in the log. It appears there's an allowance for this with the event structure but shouldn't the log show something like this without going into some debug mode?
I don’t know. The two I had logged every command, even the same one a minute later. The problem with both of mine was that they would only send a battery report on the first press as the device was awakened, then they would send a button report only if executed a second or so after the first press. If I woke it up first it would report single press, double press and press and hold. The key released would only report after a press and hold.

I still would like to know the reason both of mine required a wake up and others here are working correctly.
Old October 29th, 2017, 02:43 PM
Seer Master

@rprade - I'm thinking of buying a couple more and keeping them around the house. If I do, I might send you one that works correctly for me (assuming the other two also work correctly).

You might be able to figure out if it's your system or the unit and return it when you're done with it. If you want, of course.

FWIW, I just included mine without making it a secondary controller.
Old November 27th, 2017, 02:50 PM
OverSeer

An update on the problems I had with this device. I now have several and they are all working.

The problem is that my primary Z-Net apparently has too many nodes and this remote doesn't like it. I included the remote in both of my Z-Nets (each a separate HomeID) that only have about 14 devices and it works great. It just will not include with the heavily populated Z-net. I added a Smartstick+ to my server and included the remotes, which are now functioning fine.

I sent Rich a backup of my primary Z-Net and he was able to duplicate the issue. He has contacted Remotec to see if the problem can be corrected. I won't hold my breath waiting

This is not from Rich, but my supposition is that since these are controllers, the network is sent to them upon inclusion. They may not be able handle the number of nodes I have in my primary controller.

Since the Smartstick is USB, I will need to add another Z-Net at some point in order for me to be able to transfer to my backup VM in the event my primary HS server fails.
Old November 28th, 2017, 09:24 PM
Seer Master

I've got a few buttons assigned to events and everything seems fine. I'm curious if someone has created an event that responds to holding down a button and then releasing. I suppose holding a button could be like any momentary press, it's just a code that gets sent to HS3.

I imagine this could only be for brightening/dimming but not sure if lag times will make this difficult to control.
Old November 28th, 2017, 09:53 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
I've got a few buttons assigned to events and everything seems fine. I'm curious if someone has created an event that responds to holding down a button and then releasing. I suppose holding a button could be like any momentary press, it's just a code that gets sent to HS3.

I imagine this could only be for brightening/dimming but not sure if lag times will make this difficult to control.
I think latency in the network might be a problem. I whipped this up using an easy trigger function and it works but is not very smooth in operation. A script might work, but there still might be problems nudging a Z-Wave light faster than I was able to in this event.

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 37
Size:  27.7 KB