No announcement yet.

Two Z-NET controllers on same Z-Wave Network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restart the plugin and try it again. There are a couple of secondary replication options, make sure you select this one on the secondary you are adding:

"Make this interface an inclusion controller (secondary) on another network"

Originally posted by fdarden View Post
    Editing the file solved that issue, however, I cannot seem to copy the nodes over like your directions indicated. It seems to time out. Once I have restored the secondary controller with the edited backup file, I then attempt to use the secondary network inclusion feature, and it hangs and eventually times out. Any further suggestions would be helpful. I would just run separate nets, but for my use case, a single network seems to make more sense.

[ATTACH]64184[/ATTACH]
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

fdarden,

I am in the Randy and Blair camp with separate ID's for each Z-Net. I spent a couple of months trying to make it work and it was nothing but problems. Save yourself some trouble and have separate ID's.

FYI my experience was approximately a year ago so things may have changed. But run some Ethernet and carve out the second ID.

Regards,
      Vector

Comment

Originally posted by Vector View Post
        fdarden,

I am in the Randy and Blair camp with separate ID's for each Z-Net. I spent a couple of months trying to make it work and it was nothing but problems. Save yourself some trouble and have separate ID's.

FYI my experience was approximately a year ago so things may have changed. But run some Ethernet and carve out the second ID.

Regards,
        Vector
        Thanks for the advice. I did get this working last night. Presently it seems to be helping. If things get weird, I will likely end up having to do separate nets, and just dealing with not being able to associate things the way that I have been for years. I asked earlier, but I think my other question got all the attention - what's the practical node limit for a Zwave network?

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I did get this working last night. Presently it seems to be helping. If things get weird, I will likely end up having to do separate nets, and just dealing with not being able to associate things the way that I have been for years. I asked earlier, but I think my other question got all the attention - what's the practical node limit for a Zwave network?

---
          John

Comment

Originally posted by Vector View Post
            fdarden,

Regards,
            Vector
            Can you please describe some of the challenges that you ran into? So far, things SEEM to be ok, just waiting for something to blow up, or the big ugly management issue to rear its head. So far, things seem to work well. You probably have quite a bit more experience with Z-Wave than I do, so I am curious why you abandoned this method for separate networks?
            Thanks!

Frank

Comment

Can you please describe some of the challenges that you ran into? So far, things SEEM to be ok, just waiting for something to blow up, or the big ugly management issue to rear its head. So far, things seem to work well. You probably have quite a bit more experience with Z-Wave than I do, so I am curious why you abandoned this method for separate networks?
              Thanks!

Frank
              Well, 24 hours later I had to take your advice and switch to two (going to be three) z-wave networks. I had a lot of erratic issues with the controllers that were causing me to stop/start the plugin frequently and actually had to stop and start Homeseer a couple times to regain controller access. I also had a lot of issues adding nodes via the inclusion controller. I finally gave up. I will have to be careful to include devices that need to be in the same scene on the same network, but as I thought about it that might not be as hard as it originally seemed.

Comment

Good move, it'll be easier to manage!
                Blair

HomeSeer: HS3 Pro | Blue-Iris 4 on Windows10Pro
                | Devices: 832 | Events: 211 |
                Plug-Ins: Z-Wave | RFXCOM | UltraRachio3 | Sonos
                BLLAN | BLLOCK | NetCAM | Global Cache Pro | Blue-Iris4

Comment

Just got off the phone with HomeSeer technical support (I believe Tyler was his name but may be wrong). I also have 2x ZNet controllers and have been trying to 'pair' them so they mesh as I am covering a large lateral footprint (100,000SF+) and this seemed like an ideal way to do it.

Long story short, the gentleman told me to absolutely not do any of this pairing and instead create a separate Z-Wave network for each physical controller.

That's cool, can certainly do that, just pretty disappointed that apparently a big part of why I was buying a second one isn't in fact what they actually want you to do.

Comment

What did you expect to do with the second one? We usually do recommend separate networks based on how you are setting things up. You can add the second one as a secondary where it can control the same devices as the first one. However, if you are adding a lot of devices (say 100 or more), you will have better luck with separate networks due to the complex routing that will develop.

Originally posted by fksk View Post
                    Just got off the phone with HomeSeer technical support (I believe Tyler was his name but may be wrong). I also have 2x ZNet controllers and have been trying to 'pair' them so they mesh as I am covering a large lateral footprint (100,000SF+) and this seemed like an ideal way to do it.

Long story short, the gentleman told me to absolutely not do any of this pairing and instead create a separate Z-Wave network for each physical controller.

That's cool, can certainly do that, just pretty disappointed that apparently a big part of why I was buying a second one isn't in fact what they actually want you to do.

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post

Then, with the primary active, go to the Z-Wave config page for the secondary and select:

"Make this interface an inclusion controller (secondary) on another network
                      Hmm.... Can't find that option in Z-wave controller management. Am I looking in the wrong spot?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comment

It would be on the Z-Net that you are trying to add. If the Z-Net you are adding has the same home ID as the primary (maybe you restored nodes to it), then you won't have that option. Try an erase of the interface so it resets the home id to a new one.

Originally posted by Granger968 View Post
                        Hmm.... Can't find that option in Z-wave controller management. Am I looking in the wrong spot?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comment

This discussion is helpful. I have a second Z-NET. Only one of them says, "This is the MAIN interface for this Home ID of F77BAD0B" When the plugin starts the log entry reports,

"Z-NET-1 is the SIS for the network." and
                          "Z-NET-2 is an Inclusion Controller and Z-NET Z-Wave Z-NET-1 is the SIS for the network."

so I'm pretty sure I am configured correctly.

In each Z-Wave device in the Device Management screen, in the Z-Wave tab, the second option is "Remote Interface to Use:" There I can select either of my two Z-NET interfaces or "Auto Set with Optimize." When I select Auto and then do an Optimize, Homeseer will automatically select the best Z-NET controller to use for that device.

I have a lot of GE/Jasco switches that don't have instant status. It is important to me that they are close to a Z-NET so their change of status can be seen without routing. Gradually changing to the Homeseer switches so I can enjoy real instant status and double/triple tapping.

-Rick

Comment

I just received my second z-net in the mail (thanks for having a sale) but I have an issue that's just been sitting there. I want to resolve this before adding another z-net.

A month or two ago, something weird happened (again) and I lost a bunch of root devices along with some child devices. I got most everything back to normal, the ones that aren't back to normal are dimmers buried inside electrical boxes I will have to open up to properly exclude and then include.

However, the other weird thing that happened is my device management page shows two identical z-nets even though there is only one. I can't find a thing that would indicate one was an accidental creation so I've left them both alone.

So... before I add a secondary z-net I would like to get down to the one original that should be there. Suggestions???
                            Attached Files

Comment

Those devices are not used for anything, you can safely delete both of them and it will automatically re-create the real one.

Originally posted by racerfern View Post
                              I just received my second z-net in the mail (thanks for having a sale) but I have an issue that's just been sitting there. I want to resolve this before adding another z-net.

A month or two ago, something weird happened (again) and I lost a bunch of root devices along with some child devices. I got most everything back to normal, the ones that aren't back to normal are dimmers buried inside electrical boxes I will have to open up to properly exclude and then include.

However, the other weird thing that happened is my device management page shows two identical z-nets even though there is only one. I can't find a thing that would indicate one was an accidental creation so I've left them both alone.

So... before I add a secondary z-net I would like to get down to the one original that should be there. Suggestions???

Comment

Those devices are not used for anything, you can safely delete both of them and it will automatically re-create the real one.
                                Got it, thanks. I got to save my leap of faith.

Comment

Working...
                                X