how to measure signal strength

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to measure signal strength

Is it possible to measure signal strength detected by rfxcom receiver in HS2? I enabled RSSI in plug in but that field is not populated.
    Last edited by cjin; June 25, 2017, 05:57 AM.

RSSI is not implemented in the HS2 plug-in.
    The HS3 plug-in supports RSSI for the RFXrec433 and RFXtrx.

To check the RSSI you can use RFXmngr. Disconnect the RFX from HS or stop HS before you start RFXmngr.

Comment

stopped HS then started RFXmngr but it can't connect to rfxrcvr443. There isn't anything in USB drop down menu. I have an old style USB receiver connected to COM7.
      Attached Files

Comment

The old RFXCOM receiver does not support RSSI.

RFXmngr can only be used for the RFXrec433 and RFXtrx!

Comment

I have a few devices where I frequently have communication failures. Looking at the RSSI on these devices, they are all the lowest of my devices, they all have 5. Is that very low ? Does that explain the comms failures ?

Comment

yes, 5 is about the limit.
            Maybe another antenna will improve the signal strength.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GSM-GPRS-Ant...-/400985451637
            http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-3dbi-433...-/232299077178

For the best results install this antenna on a 30 cm metal base plate.

Comment

Dos it make a difference if I have the magnetic base or a sucker base ? I am currently using a 30cm (1ft) whip antenna which has a sma connector, and that is screwed straight into the Rfxcom, so I think that is already better than the original which came with it. But I obviously need something even better.

Comment

Working...
              X