Gen1 Philips Hue bridges will no longer get new firmware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gen1 Philips Hue bridges will no longer get new firmware

I learned last week that Philips has decided to stop upgrading the Gen1 Philips Hue bridge (the round one) to new API levels. This bridge is now on API 1.16 and will stay there.

For the plugin it should not cause issue as it will still support this API.
    If you are currently using the Gen1 bridge, there is no reason to upgrade, unless in the future Philips does add new features in their API that you want to use.

Thanks,

Wim
    -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

1210 devices/features ---- 392 events ----- 40 scripts

Wim,

Just some questions (that you may or may not be able to answer). If I wanted to update:

1) Can someone just buy the hub or do you have to buy a starter kit?

2) Is there a way to transfer a set up from an older hub to a new hub or would I have to start over?

Comment

Frank,

You should be able to find seperate bridges in stores I suppose, bought mine seperate too long time ago,
      Philips has a process from moving the old bridge to the new bridge in ther app, so you should not have to start all over. When you do that though.. make sure the plugin is not active as I never got around that process. Only activate the plugin again after all moving is done by the hue app and de old bridge is removed from the network.

But again you do not have to move yet, the functions will be still available for a longer periond in the plugin.

And if you are thinking about moving it anyway, an advance advise from my side... wait for at least a month and monitor this forum

Thanks,

Wim
      -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

Comment

Originally posted by w.vuyk View Post
        Frank,

You should be able to find seperate bridges in stores I suppose, bought mine seperate too long time ago,
        Philips has a process from moving the old bridge to the new bridge in ther app, so you should not have to start all over. When you do that though.. make sure the plugin is not active as I never got around that process. Only activate the plugin again after all moving is done by the hue app and de old bridge is removed from the network.

But again you do not have to move yet, the functions will be still available for a longer periond in the plugin.

And if you are thinking about moving it anyway, an advance advise from my side... wait for at least a month and monitor this forum

Thanks,

Wim
        Gotcha! Will do.

Comment

Originally posted by w.vuyk View Post
          Frank,

Thanks,

Wim
          I had done an upgrade, so everything is working except for the wrong MAC warning in the logs (or at least I think everything is working). Is there an easy way to upgrade the MAC so the plugin sees the hub as one it owns?

Comment

Originally posted by bsobel View Post
            I had done an upgrade, so everything is working except for the wrong MAC warning in the logs (or at least I think everything is working). Is there an easy way to upgrade the MAC so the plugin sees the hub as one it owns?
            bsobel,

Could you post the exact line of the error you are seeing? I am not aware that the plugin is checkin on the mac addresses really. If I see it, it will help me how to help you

Thanks,

Wim
            -- Wim

Comment

Sure thing, here you go:

Error: (CompleteBridgeConfig):Bridge on IP address 10.1.0.182 reports a different serial than expected. Device: 001788FFFE09245E Bridge response: 001788FFFE22609B

The serial number is just the MAC address. I just didn't see a way on the Bridge device to edit the ID. Mine shows Bridge id (old bridge MAC) and later 'this bridge replaced bridgeid' (but shows the same MAC).

Easy change would be to simply make the bridge id editable. Nicer change would be to perhaps say a new bridge was detected and allow one to accept the id change?

Comment

Better don't try to change the serial id's. It will mess up the plugin, loosing the bridge.
                Good catch though. It will be corrected in the next release. At the first start of the plugin it will find the mismatch still, but with subsequent restarts it should be gone.

Thanks!

Wim
                -- Wim

Comment

Thanks, much appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by sirmeili View Post
                    Wim,

Just some questions (that you may or may not be able to answer). If I wanted to update:

1) Can someone just buy the hub or do you have to buy a starter kit?

2) Is there a way to transfer a set up from an older hub to a new hub or would I have to start over?
                    Hey I know this is an older question but you can buy them separate but it's cheaper it seems to buy a kit. On Amazon.ca the bridge alone is $78, but for $69 you get the bridge, and 2 of the A19 white dimmable bulbs which are normally $14.99 each.

Comment

Working...
                    X