X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to crack many Master Lock combinations in eight tries or less

How to crack many Master Lock combinations in eight tries or less
    by Dan Goodin - Apr 29, 2015 - Ars Technica

There's a vulnerability in Master Lock branded padlocks that allows anyone to learn the combination in eight or fewer tries, a process that requires less than two minutes and a minimal amount of skill to carry out.

The exploit involves lifting up a locked shackle with one hand while turning the combination dial counterclockwise starting at the number 0 with the other. Before the dial reaches 11, there will be three points where the dial will resist being turned anymore. One of them will be ignored as it is exactly between two whole numbers on the dial. The remaining two locations represent locked positions. Next, an attacker again lifts the locked shackle, this time with less force, while turning the dial clockwise. At some point before a full revolution is completed, the dial will resist being turned. (An attacker can still turn through it but will physically feel the resistance.) This location represents the resistance location. The two locked positions and the one resistance position are then recorded on a Web page that streamlines the exploit.

The technique was devised by Samy Kamkar, a serial hacker who has created everything from stealthy keystroke-pilfering USB chargers to DIY stalker apps that mined Google Streetview. In 2005, he unleashed the Samy worm, a cross-site scripting exploit that knocked MySpace out of commission when it added more than one million MySpace friends to Kamkar's account.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09UgmwtL12c

Link: http://arstechnica.com/security/2015...tries-or-less/
    HW: HS3 w/ Win8.1 on ASRock C2550d4i. Digi AnywhereUSB, Hubport, Edgeport, UZB, Z-trollers, PLCBUS, SONOS, GC-100, iTach IP2SL, WF2IR, IP2IR, RFXtrx433, Harmony Hubs, Hue, Ademco Vista 128BP, NetAtmo, NetAtmo Welcome

Google Search for HomeSeer Forum

Interesting

Tom
    Tom
    baby steps...starting again with HS3
    HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
    HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
    Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
    In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
    System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

Funny. I discovered this when I was a kid. Used to bet with the other kids that I could unlock their bikes.
      Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

This works every time...

Attached Files
        Bryan
        Software/Hardware: Win10 Pro, HS 3 Pro, HS Touch, Echo, Edgeport/4, Z-Net w/88 Devices, Insteon PLM w/19 Devices, Nest, GC-100-6, W800RF32A, WS-2080 Weather Station (KMADRACU10)
        Plug-in/Scripts: Alexa API, BLBackup, BLGData, BLLED, BLLock, BLRF, BLTVGuide, Blue Iris, BLUPS, Current Cost 3P, DirectTV, FitbitSeer, Insteon, Nest, Pushover 3P, Random, Restart, Tasker, UltraGCIR3, UltraWeatherWU, Z-Wave

Comment

Originally posted by TechHA View Post
          This works every time...

And doesn't take 8 tries!
          Regards,
          Michael

HS3, W10 Home, HSTouch, W800, Z-Stick+

Comment

Depends on how strong you are. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by chewie View Post
              Depends on how strong you are. ;-)