drip irrigation zone timer valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

drip irrigation zone timer valve

Last edited by lpcalcaterra; June 16, 2009, 01:55 PM.
    Larry

You need to be concerned with contact rating of the universal module and effects of surge current. The appliance module is desgned for beefier loads. You will get a cllick as the appliance modules goes on and off, but in your environment it should not matter.

Comment

Are there any known issues with X10 and solenoid valves? Reason I ask is I obtained a washing machine inlet valve for use with my little irrigation system and just can't get it to play fair...I can't imagine the load is all that much from what is just really a piece of wire (thinking along the lines of what happens with CFL's?), but whilst when I switch the X10 module on you can hear something happen it definately does not open correctly and just seems to make a 50Hz hum....no loud 'click' is heard. Do some have a polarity? I originally thought not as this valve appears to be a generic style replacement.

Anyone any ideas? I wish I had the option of 12v though, I have to live with 240v!

Comment

It does seem like you are not getting enough voltage through the coil to generate sufficient field to move the rod. Is the wiring to the solenoid of sufficient gauge and sufficiently short to not generate a large voltage drop across it?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
          It does seem like you are not getting enough voltage through the coil to generate sufficient field to move the rod. Is the wiring to the solenoid of sufficient gauge and sufficiently short to not generate a large voltage drop across it?
          I don't know what gauge the wire is, it is rated to 3a@230v which I thought would be OK. The wire length is about 2m at the most...

I'm going to dig it out and have a play with it in a minute, not that I really need it now...following three days of blistering sun shine (that was our summer) it hasn't stopped raining for the past two days and is set to continue plants dont need watering now!

Comment

Thanks for you imput Michael. I ordered the valves today.
            Larry

Comment

Originally posted by mrhappy View Post
              Are there any known issues with X10 and solenoid valves? Reason I ask is I obtained a washing machine inlet valve for use with my little irrigation system and just can't get it to play fair...I can't imagine the load is all that much from what is just really a piece of wire (thinking along the lines of what happens with CFL's?), but whilst when I switch the X10 module on you can hear something happen it definately does not open correctly and just seems to make a 50Hz hum....no loud 'click' is heard. Do some have a polarity? I originally thought not as this valve appears to be a generic style replacement.

Anyone any ideas? I wish I had the option of 12v though, I have to live with 240v!
              I built an irrigation system using washing machine valves many years ago, before 24V irrigation valves were commonly available. Washing machine valves are one way only, so if you expect to use one hose connection as an input, and the other as an output, some modification is necessary.

First, plug the original outlet hose connection. I found epoxy and a 1/4 x 20 bolt worked well. Then remove the solenoid and rubber diaphram from the outlet side of your valve. Machine away the valve seat on the outlet side, ressemble, and it should work as required.

Frankly, I do not reccomend using these valves, as 120 or 240 volts is extremely dangerous, and should be avoided around water.

Comment

FYI, I posted a tutorial on CocoonTech on how to use sprinkler valves with your outdoor faucet to obtain a "poor man's" sprinkler system.
                --------------------------------------------------
                **** Do You "Cocoon"? ****

Comment

Great tutorial BSR. Thanks

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
                  You need to be concerned with contact rating of the universal module and effects of surge current.
                  Can I overcome the possible contact rating issue by having the UM attached to the Elk-924?
                  Larry

Comment

Working...
                  X