Run Command like SmartThings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Run Command like SmartThings?

I am considering SmartThings vs HomeSeer. I plan to use the Amazon Echo for voice commands but it seems that the integration is different between HomeSeer and SmarThings. For example, to run a HomeSeer command I need to say "Alexa, tell HomeSeer to turn the lights on" but with SmartThings I can just say "Alexa, turn the lights on."

For the "WAF" factor, I need the voice command phrases to be as simple as possible. Am I understanding HomeSeer's integration incorrectly? Is there a reason why I cannot run a command in HomeSeer like SmartThings? I like HomeSeer's capabilities more but this one might be a deal breaker.

I'm just getting into the echo thing but I think I read you can set up your own skill so you can say "Alexa tell house to " Think Sgt. Shultz has instruction somewhere on here.
    If you just want "Alexa turn on lights" I believe you can do that with the Echo Api and HS.
    Again I could be wrong but the if you use the skill you have control to almost everything in Homeseer. If you use the echo Api then you have on off dim and some other basic controls.

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=179713

Sent from my iPhone
    Tom
    baby steps...starting again with HS3
    HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
    HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
    Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
    In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
    System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

Originally posted by ramshaklez View Post
      I am considering SmartThings vs HomeSeer. I plan to use the Amazon Echo for voice commands but it seems that the integration is different between HomeSeer and SmarThings. For example, to run a HomeSeer command I need to say "Alexa, tell HomeSeer to turn the lights on" but with SmartThings I can just say "Alexa, turn the lights on."

For the "WAF" factor, I need the voice command phrases to be as simple as possible. Am I understanding HomeSeer's integration incorrectly? Is there a reason why I cannot run a command in HomeSeer like SmartThings? I like HomeSeer's capabilities more but this one might be a deal breaker.
      Make sure the devices you want to control have voice control enabled and then once you have connected the skill just go through device discovery with the Echo. You should be able to control it using "Alexa, turn the lights on" after that.

Comment

I have Amazon Echo working with HomeSeer and I can say "Echo, turn the lights on" or "Echo, turn the kitchen lights on". This is because the Amazon Echo API currently supports those functions directly (ON,OFF, Dim Level) so you can ask "Alexa" or Echo to do the task directly. For functions that Amazon has not yet added to their API, you can pass them through your Echo to HomeSeer and HomeSeer will handle it. This is done using an Amazon Echo "skill".

If you are willing to learn, there really is no comparison between SmartThings and HomeSeer. HomeSeer is vastly more flexible. I hope that helps.

Comment

Working...
        X