Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potential Refugee from Vera

1. a box like this

I moved from Vera and tried many other systems.

Moving to HS3 is a breath of fresh air. Reliable and you will be amazed at the speed difference.
    To be honest if you bought the Zee S2 based on the raspberry Pi you will be able to blow the vera out of the water on speed, functionality and reliability.
    My current system is a Gigabyte Brix With ubuntu on it and I have to say works exceptionally well.

If you use Vera you are possibly up to speed with Imperihome for example. This works well with HS3 too and is good for displaying camera information on screens. HomeSeer has HSTouch designer to allow custom screens and will do everything you want to do. However be warned, It is not without problems. I actually really like it but find it a bit too flaky for using as my main interface. Its not unreliable but you do need to not use certain features on certain platforms.

I use Imperihome on Levono Tab 3, iPads, Iphones, HTC android phones etc. Its fast and reliable at connecting.
    HS Touch is great on the Windows based system I have and had it running nicely as a basic setup on a raspberry Pi with a touch screen.

Alarm wise I've not tried to interface to anything as I use my motion sensors etc as my alarm system when away from the property.

As I said earlier you can run HS3 well on a raspberry Pi.

Comment

Thank you for replying to me. It sounds like HS will be a little more up my alley.

My main concern was whether I should just buy Homeseer or Homeseer Pro. I do have experience with Imperihome and do it use. It's a solid product. But HS Touch is the reason I started looking into HS in the first place.

And if HS Pro has Touch included, that kinda answers that question. I think I like the idea of putting it on my own Windows box, since I won't have any (as many) compatibility issues with plugins and such.

Comment

I don't use HStouch, and never used it.

But if you read through the discussions here, there is some real love/hate relationships with it. And as a new comer myself HSTouch seems to get a lot of complaints.

I suggest you read some HStouch topics here before you jump in and order pro

Imperihome seems to have a more satisfied followers.

good luck.

Comment

You don't need pro. It's cheaper to get regular and then the HSTouch designer separately. Pro does give you the HS plugins but they don't have any plugins so it's a moot point. I got pro several years ago and continued to recomend it under the assumption that they would make some plugins eventually. It hasn't happened yet. Seems like most of the work they have done is for things that don't cost extra.

I love HSTouch. When I used Vera I would come here to oooooo and ahhhhhh over the custom screens people made. It is a lot of work and it does take some time to figure it out but once you're up and running the sky is the limit.
          Originally posted by rprade
          There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

I concur with the previous assessment that you do not require HS3 Pro and that is based on very limited plugin development coming from HST.

I have multiple Pro licenses and have maintained them even when I went to Vera, but the ROI just isn't there. If the PRO reduced 3rd party plug in it might be an incentive but not in isolation.

Comment

If I were to do it again, I would NOT get pro and spend the difference on plugins that I actually use. I don't use HSTouch and probably never will since Imperihome is supported right now and it does 95% of what I want.

Comment

Will do some more reading on Touch. It sounds like something I'd like, but I'm starting to get the consensus of the room here on it . . .

Comment

I did it. I bought HS3 (not the Pro) and a Z-wave stick. I didn't fully understand which plugins Pro comes with (none of any use for me), and without knowing if I want Touch, it was too much money for me.

I can always buy Touch next year if I feel like it

Now I will buy myself a little NUC or something and maybe take a day or two off of work . . .

Appreciate all the help now and in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by NickTheGreat View Post
                    I did it. I bought HS3 (not the Pro) and a Z-wave stick. I didn't fully understand which plugins Pro comes with (none of any use for me), and without knowing if I want Touch, it was too much money for me.

I can always buy Touch next year if I feel like it

Now I will buy myself a little NUC or something and maybe take a day or two off of work . . .

Appreciate all the help now and in the future.
                    Nick - Welcome Aboard! I'm sure you'll like the improvements vs Vera. FWIW, HS3Touch Designer is really useful if you'd like to create a dashboard "portal" for your system. This is nice when used with tablets at home. If that doesn't interest you, and you're OK with the standard app (or Imperihome), then you should be all set for a while.
                    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Coming from Vera? You will never regret this decision.

I was on the brink of tears when I finally got HS3 running and started making events. I'm asking Santa for a hydraulic press so I can send my Vera's to Hell. I may have actually spent more money on Vera than I have on HS3. Well probably not when you take the Z-Net into account (which was the best investment I have made in HA hardware to date I might add). But I had a Vera 2 which blew chunks and I got the 3 when it came out because it was supposed to be sooooo muuuuuch better with a whopping 128 MB of RAM or some such nonsense. WTF? My 4 year old cell phone has something like 20X more RAM than a Vera. TWENTY TIMES! That thing blew chunks too. Like $500 or so right there.

Comment

@Colin, what does That thing blew chunks too. mean? Is it vomiting? Is it relating to a BM? I do not understand.

I am a native Chicago person and not yet heard that expression (even relating to the Cubs)

Yup the Vera is originally based on OpenWRT (firewall OS). Apples and oranges comparison.

I do have one Vera device; played with it for a bit then put it back in the original box and discarded it to my discard automation box.

Personally I am a happy camper having purchased HS3 Pro / Zee-2 and HSTouch works fine for me an my home Wintel tabletops embedded Windows.
                        Last edited by Pete; November 30, 2016, 04:03 PM.
                        - Pete

Auto mator
                        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Well blowing chunks is slang terminology for vomiting. I believe is was coined by the movie "Wayne's World". The movie where Mike Meyers and Dana Carvey played goofy metal heads in, Chicago I believe, and would make false statement and append them with a pronounced "Not!". I don't recall if they started applying the term to a crappy product or situation but it happened around that time. I had been under the impression that it had entered the collective unconscious by this time.

And yeah, Vera hardware is a router. Quite literally. And most consumer routers are barely powerful enough to route properly! Geez.

Comment

Yes I saw that movie ("Wayne's World" filmed in Chicago).

You know my post was mostly in jest; eh?

It has entered the collective unconscious by this time.

My unconscious piece (think its there) is just a figment of my newton. I hear it but don't listen to it much these days.

Yes been tinkering here (still) with a similar except with a touchscreen product called the Almond + and a tiny 1" X 2" OpenWRT device. Slow at around a single core 400Mhz CPU with just about enough memory to get by some.
                            - Pete

Auto mator
                            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Oh yeah. I got it. I really appreciate your sense of humor.

Comment

Working...
                              X