Power Wall Mounted Tablet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power Wall Mounted Tablet

Anybody figured out a 'Clever' way to power a tablet in close proximity to a light switch box? but the box has no room for a wall wort, but i'm not sure that would even be legal, although I do have a little 'Rebel' in me. Other than splicing in power in the crawl space, and running a long USB cable, I can't seem to figure an alternative. A 'Micro' direct feed USB Power supply?

Yep... here you go. Just have to not mind putting a hole in your wall. otherwise, super easy... works great.

https://forums.homeseer.com/showpost...94&postcount=3

Comment

I'm not saying that's not 'Clever', I'm just saying I only want a hole large enough for micro-usb to pass through. We'll call this Clever Squared. I want to put something in that switch box that steps down to USB.

Comment

I'm trying to picture what you're looking for... you mean a 110VAC>5VDC power-supply/transformer that's small enough to stuff inside your switch box? I mean... all electrical safety rules out the window and all... is that what you're thinking? Is there room in the box for that?

Comment

I have one of these embedded in a dusk-dawn light.

https://www.digikey.com/products/en?...ds=945-2210-nd

Comment

Originally posted by tome10 View Post
            Anybody figured out a 'Clever' way to power a tablet in close proximity to a light switch box? but the box has no room for a wall wort, but i'm not sure that would even be legal, although I do have a little 'Rebel' in me. Other than splicing in power in the crawl space, and running a long USB cable, I can't seem to figure an alternative. A 'Micro' direct feed USB Power supply?
            It is quite pricey but it does what you are asking.
            https://www.amazon.com/Bryant-Electr...witch+with+usb

Comment

Too large Cowinger.

@gregoryx, Frankly, Yes. I'm doing a feasability study. Everything's on the table. And no, I really don't have room for anything in my SW Boxes. I barely got my switches in there, and the fact that most of them are tilted/crooked just emphasizes that statement.

@zwolfppack, I was looking for one of those. I couldn't find one. I thought about taking a 12w apple converter and stuffing it inside a gutted/modified z-wave switch housing in the attempt to rectify whatever isolation rules apply to voltage differences in a gang box. There's something about having a barrier, and low voltage can't follow High Voltage. Being isolated inside the gang box, and the low voltage exiting out the front behind a switch box decorative panel thing complies (in my mind at least). That would probably qualify as 'Clever', but I think I'll go with the below solution.

I actually found and ordered some 24v ac to 5v dc converters. I think i'm going to wire them in like t-stats and Alarm panels. No rules broken.

Now, I'm looking for some controllable RGBW Strips powered at 5v for backlighting. The problems never end. There's no 5v systems that can be controlled via HS. Qubino is coming out with a RGBW controller. I'm tempted to try one of the ebay RGBW wifi controllers, and just pick a color within the app on the tablet. Maybe tasker could do this?

https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=193652

Comment

Maybe consider replacing the boxes with deeper ones? Maybe big enough to get a small-ish 110V->5V USB unit in there? Again, not code...

No way to get a wire down/up the wall?

And bravo on the 24VDC consideration. 5VDC gets pretty bad over distance. 24VDC will run further on smaller gauge and still deliver; then convert to 5V.

Comment

Working...
                X