Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can dim be deisabled on a dimmable switch??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can dim be deisabled on a dimmable switch??

Is it possible to make a dimmable switch not dim, or offer the option to dim.
    I am getting some dimmable switches (GE, Leviton) I'd like to use on circuits that do not need to be dimmed (fluorescent lights, etc). I don't want them to be accidentally dimmed.
    Is there a way to disable this?

I have one GE dimmable switched installed on a dimmable circuit. Under configuration, "is dimmable" is checked, but is grayed out, so cannot be altered.

thanks
    Last edited by CinBRandon; June 27, 2017, 07:38 PM. Reason: typos

Originally posted by CinBRandon View Post
    Is it possible to make a dimmable switch not dim, or offer the option to dim.
    I am getting some dimmable switches (GE, Leviton) I'd like to use on circuits that do not need to be dimmed (fluorescent lights, etc). I don't want them to be accidentally dimmed.
    Is there a way to disable this?

I have one GE dimmable switched installed on a dimmable circuit. Under configuration, "is dimmable" is checked, but is grayed out, so cannot be altered.

thanks
    I think the only way is to change the ramp rates on the switch configuration.

Comment

I thought of the ramp rate, and how it would need to be near instant. But I don't think this would prevent someone from dimming it at the switch, or on the app for that matter.

Comment

I thought of the ramp rate, and how it would need to be near instant. But I don't think this would prevent someone from dimming it at the switch, or on the app for that matter.
        I guess GE doesn't have different ramp rates for manual control and z-wave? Th HomeSeer switches do.

Not sure what app you use but I'm sure the App side can be changed also. I use Imperihome for the app and can choose no slide bar.

But ofcourse all of this is really mickey mouse when you should just swap out the switch for like 30bucks. Or trade from one location in your house to another if you could use this dimming switch else where.

Comment

I'm just using the basic free edition of HSTouch.

I've looked a little at Imperihome. Is it really as good as it looks?
          How long does it take to start up and connect?

Looks like it needs plugin on the Homeseer side and the app itself.

Comment

Why not get switches instead of dimmers then? Electrically they may not be compatible and could have unpredictable results. There's likely no way to disable the local dimming control either.

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk
            HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
            Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
              Why not get switches instead of dimmers then? Electrically they may not be compatible and could have unpredictable results. There's likely no way to disable the local dimming control either.

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk
              Yes. Switches use relays, dimmers use waveform modification by a MOSFET or similar device. Even at full on a dimmer usually doesn't provide a sine wave. The transition, even if it is very fast, ends up sending unusual waveforms during the transition, which could damage some devices other than those designed to be dimmed.
              HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                Yes. Switches use relays, dimmers use waveform modification by a MOSFET or similar device. Even at full on a dimmer usually doesn't provide a sine wave. The transition, even if it is very fast, ends up sending unusual waveforms during the transition, which could damage some devices other than those designed to be dimmed.
                Excellent explanation. I figured something like this was going on. And had noticed there was no noise of the relay in the dimmers. But also saw the dimmer check box on the device set up.

This might also explain why some dimming switches cannot control motors (fans)?

Comment

All of the Z-Wave dimmers can't control a fan. Bad Ju Ju If you try it.
                  Originally posted by rprade
                  There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Excellent explanation. I figured something like this was going on. And had noticed there was no noise of the relay in the dimmers. But also saw the dimmer check box on the device set up.

This might also explain why some dimming switches cannot control motors (fans)?
                    Most ceiling fans use split phase (capacitor start) induction motors. Internally they use more poles for lower speeds for the manually switched speeds. They change the pole phasing to reverse the fan. To control these fans with a device usually involves three steps, internally using an R/C block for each of the speeds changing the speed by reducing the torque. Straight waveform modification will not change the speed.
                    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Is it ok to use a normal on/off switch to control a ceiling or bathroom fan? Not adjust the speed, but simply on or off. Speed still controlled by pull chord on fan.

Comment

Yes a relay is ok.

Comment

Working...
                        X