X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

never seen a serial rj45 to usb cable, adapter, or dongle

your options:

1. usb port <--> usb to serial adapter (with db9) <--> db9 to rj45 cable (this should have come with the plm) <--> 2413s

or

2. usb port <--> usb to serial adapter (with db9) <--> db9 to rj45 gender changer <--> cat5 cable with rj45 on both ends <--> 2413s

the cat5 must be wired as a serial cable, not an Ethernet patch cord.

or

3. just get a 2413u (it has the serial to external usb built in)
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by klebel View Post
      Sorry I don't quite follow. The 2413S has a serial RJ45 port. There is no DB9 connector anywhere. I can't go direct from RJ45 to USB? I need the DB9 in there somewhere? What about just buying a RJ45 to USB cable itself without an adapter?
      I'm pretty sure that you got a cable with the 2413s that had the RJ45 on one end and a DB9 on the other. DB9 used to be one of the serial connectors on the back of your PC and was pretty common. These days, serial uses USB and we rarely see DB9 anymore.

If you find that cable, and don't have a DB9 serial on your PC, then you need this serial DB9 to USB converter.

If you have lost the cable, this thread discusses the pinouts you would need to make another.

Comment

what direction did you decide to go with this?
        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
          what direction did you decide to go with this?

I steered clear of the adapter route and ordered a USB PLM. Someone would make a killing if they would just make a direct RJ45 to USB cable that worked. The USB PLM gets horrible reviews and seem to die a lot. I never had a single issue with my serial PLM. Oh well.

Comment

If you ordered from Smarthome you will get the last hw ver. Which should be better
            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Got it on Amazon. Smarthome was running 25% off right now and was STILL more expensive than getting it on Amazon. Which hw ver. should I be watching for?

Comment

V2.x.
                Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

V2.x.
                  I got the new PLM. Has the right hardware version. Plugged it in and was recognized immediately. It seems I am good to go. Next step, reading your documentation and start getting all my devices pairs up to the new PLM. Thanks Mark.

Comment

I got the new PLM. Has the right hardware version. Plugged it in and was recognized immediately. It seems I am good to go. Next step, reading your documentation and start getting all my devices pairs up to the new PLM. Thanks Mark.
                    glad its working. thanks for reporting back.
                    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Were you able to return the 2413S PLM or are you stuck with it?

Comment

Originally posted by logbuilder View Post
                        Were you able to return the 2413S PLM or are you stuck with it?
                        I already had owned it. The ISY-994i used the serial PLM. So I had it for years.

Comment

glad its working. thanks for reporting back.
                          Mark the pairing to the new PLM is going well. But since i had the ISY and an old PLM, the switches are all looking for that old PLM, and have a lot of old pairings stored in them now. Is there any way for me to wipe out all those stored pairings from the devices once I have them added to the new PLM I just got?

Comment

Use the swap interface routine on the config page. Enter the old plm id. And the plugin will reprogram the devices
                            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

I already had owned it. The ISY-994i used the serial PLM. So I had it for years.
                              I run on a 2413S as my PLM. I've used it for 10 years or so. If it went out, I'd want to replace it with another.

If yours is working, maybe we could work something out. I don't need the cable.

Let me know and we can discuss in PM if interested.

Comment

Working...
                              X